Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't really want to spend $60 on a shark fin that gave worse reception, so I tried this route. Since I haven't driven it yet, I don't know how the reception is. All I know is the reception meter was 10 with the OEM antenna, 3 without any, and 10 again with this short one.

Okay, so it's not Mazda OEM, but still...it's an antenna mast from a 2004+ Acura MDX. There's a different part # for 2001 to 2003, but it's not as smooth looking. But it does screw right on with no modifications.

One I bought:

The other part #:

Only complaint I have so far is that the circumference is bigger than our stock one, so it's not going to match exactly.

I will post pics of the car with the antenna tomorrow when it's bright. Stupid seller on Ebay sent me the wrong sized rims, otherwise I would've had pictures of the antenna AND new rims for everyone. =)

And last, but not least, thanks to TheKorean for the suggestion.

P.S. The antenna cost me $23 shipped.

Crap, I just realized this should probably be in the exterior mod section huh? Sorry mods...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, some pics. First picture of how it's bigger than stock:

And then just a couple of pictures from different angles (I really need to drive to an open space, I was against the wall here):

And then, luckily, a Jetta parked next to me, allowing me to do these comparison pics.

Not as good as no antenna, but I think much better than stock?

BTW, can people retrofit the integrated antenna rear glass into our cars?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hey, that looks great. I think the shark antenna's are ugly, but that looks really nice. I'm going to have to look for one of those.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Keep the smaller size, or people might call our/your car a VW... :irate: :laugh:
I think it all depend on the location. Here in St. Louis and Chicago, the shark fin works really well. Also the XM or Sirius ant works well inside the car too.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, that looks great. I think the shark antenna's are ugly, but that looks really nice. I'm going to have to look for one of those.
[/b]
$23 shipped on ebay man! =)

And yeah, I hate how all the newer cars seem to be tending towards the long antennas sticking out - Matrix/Corolla, Scion TC, VW, Mazdas, I don't know, seems like it's the trend nowadays even on higher end (well, like mid range) cars.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Even cheaper than that on eBay. This seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/SHORTANTENNA

has about 10 different styles in both silver and black. Some are extendable, others come with different length shafts which are switched out depending on what length and reception you want, and the rest are fixed. Priced from $13 to $15 shipped.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts

has about 10 different styles in both silver and black. Some are extendable, others come with different length shafts which are switched out depending on what length and reception you want, and the rest are fixed. Priced from $13 to $15 shipped.
[/b]
Great site. I just got a B for my Speed and it arrived in like two days. Perfect fit and only about $15, delivered

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is a quick and relatively cheap solution to the RC-car look of the current antenna. Will have to go check out eBay...Doing a bit of research, apparently the Honda Element uses the same antenna as the MDX as another option if they become difficult to find.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen even shorter ones, like the Toyota Avalon, wonder if those work.

And yeah, you would have a hole that you need to fill...a lot of work I guess. Stupid Mazda should've kept the integrated antenna (or is it because of tinted windows that they stopped?).

[/b]
Yeah, I thought about those before even knowing the MDX ones fit. But one, didn't want the worse reception, and two, if you get anything flashy, it'll be stolen. =)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
you can check radio reception strength by holding down the power button and the #2 preset.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just ordered the MDX antenna off e-bay, $22.25 shipped....

Nice....
Not a big fan of the shark fin.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool...I saw that after I bought mine...I might have to get it later. I think the MS3 uses the same antenna as the CX-7. How much did you pay?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I got a stubby for mine like 2 weeks after I bought the car, also off ebay, but only paid $12.50. Reception is 80-85% of the OEM, and no risk of the OEM breaking the back window at hi speed like happened to that guy with an MS6 on the Autobahn in Germany!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts