Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my most recent trip to a local pull it yard I found a body matched oem optional kit for the 03-05 and am swapping onto my 06 while keeping the front bumper. I know the lip doesn’t fit but I feel with a little bit of heat and shaping/stretching I can get some good results. Plus they only charged me $10 for the lip and $20 per side! I swapped the whole rear onto my 06 and am tackling the skirts today, front lip will be soon behind during all this down time. Here is a pic of the rear and a mock up of the front just to get the idea.
Any one else try this with the 06 front?

Update, side skirts are in although one definitely fits better than the other...

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
That front lip looks very close! It should look good once formed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks the side skirts weren’t too bad actually to put on. My car never had any so there are no holes in the side, however on the bottom sill of the car when you remove the piece of rubber, save the screws that you remove and leave the tabs attached to the car. You can re use these screws with or without washers and they line up perfectly with four of five of the mount locations on the side skirts and fit the tabs perfectly, so you easily attach it to the bottom. Then use a few self tapping screws after drilling into the fender metal and mounting tape for the side right under doors. The front lip won’t be so easy but I’m confident I’ll get it done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never again will I attempt to fit a lip on a bumper it wasn’t designed for unless it’s a little closer fitment. ?

This took a lot of time and effort heating and molding the bumper, not a project to tackle for the impatient. The front and passenger side stretched and fit pretty well, unfortunately the driver side corner plastic started to tear a bit and doesn’t sit quite flush because of how it had to be out on. I’ll probably just grab a 2003-2005 front and order a new lip, but this was a worthwhile project.

·
Rally Racer
2,522 Posts
@DrBoom Nice job so far. I did install one of those lips on my 2004. I picked up a silver one and color matched to my Performance White (A2N). Be advised it is designed to fit a non-sport bumper.
OEM front lip for non-sport 2003-2005 part# 0000-86-H01

I really like the look of the rear diffuser lip. I passed on one because I cannot run OEM splash guards with it but it looks great on your car.

Check out the Ultimate Front Lip thread. It is a bit dated and many of the options are likely no longer available new but it does give you some ideas about look.
Ultimate bumper/ lip thread

Not sure where you are located but this fellow in Salem, OR has had this brand new front bumper (non-sport)
OEM front bumper 2003-2005 part# GKYC50031A

Genuine Mazda Parts GKYC-50-031A Front Bumper Cover - auto parts -...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have a white color matched non sport bumper locally at the same place I snagged the lip. I’m going back tomorrow to get it and then I’ll probably order the jdm style front lip that’s still floating around online. ?‍♂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts