Mazda 6 Forums banner

With the info given, should I resurface or just buy a new flywheel?

• Resurface

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a new one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, do any of you know what the OEM dimensions are on a 2005 Mazda 6 3.0 flywheel? I just bought this car and the clutch was totally toast (wouldn't even move) and I just got the flywheel off, and to my surprise it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, but it will require me to shave off a bit to get completely smooth. Plus there is a small step in the contact area where it was what I'm assuming metal to metal, so I can't trust the measurements off of the flywheel now to be accurate because it might already be out of tolerance as it is.

I have quite a bit of machining background so I'm confident on resurfacing the flywheel myself, the only issue is I can't find any info on the tolerances/dimensions. I know whatever I take off of contact area also needs to be taken off the step area where the pressure plate bolts up. If no one has any info, what flywheel would you recommend buying as a replacement? The cheapest I can find is about 250 for an OEM one. Does that sound right? I was thinking they could be had for around 100-150 but maybe not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will post a pic when I get home from work, I totally forgot to take a picture when I took it off. In the meantime, does anyone know of any good sites to buy a flywheel? I can only find one off parts geek or whatever and it's 250

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I would just measure and get as close as you can. Unless youre going with a an ACT clutch that needs something like a .608 clearance, i wouldnt worry too much. Hell, i used an 80 grit paint disc and a drill on my Talon one time just to scuff it, put 40 miles on a 1G plate and 2G disc and with a welded center diff could smoke all 4 while rolling. So, i wouldnt stress too much about it, cause even if you needed say a .608", as soon as you engage the clutch the first time, that measurement is gonna be a lot bigger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts