Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
multiple grounds all over the place is BAD. it will cause a ground loop which is BAD. You want to ground everything in the area to the SAME ground. you said you had a sound system? you will want to ground your battery to 1 good spot and then ground your amps to your battery so you have 1 ground. be sure to use 0 gauge from the battery to the ground..

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
All of the grounds coming off the battery are grounded to structural members of the chassy and measure less than 0.000 ohms of resistance between them(my meter only has 3 decimal places--there has to be some resistance I just cant meter it).

A ground loop(in car audio) is only caused with multiple grounds with different potentials between different components in the signal chain--if your reference ground in your headunit/eq/processor is different from the reference ground at the amps, you can get noise, or in extreme cases actually damage the radio if your amp trys equalize the voltage through ground sheild of the RCA's(good amps wont do this). Because of the noise canceling properties of the differential outputs of the stock bose radio I'd be suprised if anyone has gotten any significant noise from a 4 ch amp in this car--unless their amp was a huge POS, or the install was shotty.

The battery is the WORST place to ground your amps, or any part of any sound system. Think about it this way, if you have 100 different ground paths running throughout your vehicle which point do you think will have more voltage fluctuations/occilations, the chassy(roughly equivalent to a 4/0 AWG cable--According to Richard Clark), or the negative battery terminal where every circuit converges... There may be points on the chassy that have issues(weak welds, alot of factory connections), but generally a proper ground to the chassy is no more likely to have noise than a ground at the battery(and in some cases alot less likely)...

I install car audio for a living. :cheers: If anyone ever needs any car audio help feel free to PM me..:cheers:[/b]

just tryin to help bro ive had an issue like you were having before and setting it to 1 ground location worked. just about everyone on car audio forums even the guys that have been their long as hell with over 5,000 posts tol dme to ground everything to the battery i have in the trunk and put a 0 gauge ground from the battery to the chassis so everything is grounded in 1 spot and that worked for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.