Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that the smell could be coming from the catalytic converter but i personally think its my brakes. it smells like rotten eggs and i was wondering what i could do to get rid of this smell? and if anyone else has actually had this problem cause i searched the forum and found nothing.

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for responding. i read that too somewhere. would premium gas do the trick?

·
Registered
859 Posts
No, don't go a higher octane. Stay with 87. Try a different location gas station. e.g. if you were using a Valero station across the street, try the Exxon a block down the road. catch the drift?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Could be normal exhaust odor if it only happens on cold starts. Especially in colder weather. If you aren't getting a CEL, then I would not worry...yet. I agree with ydrone. Use a really good regular fuel...Shell/Chevron/BP. I work for a highline dealer whose cars require good quality premium fuel and these brands are of few that are on the manufacturers preferred list!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It's usually due to sulphur content in the fuel you filled up with. Go to a different station for the next fill and it should go away.

BTW, little piece of trivia. Elemental sulphur is completely odorless. The smell of eggs is from sulphur oxidation and other sulphur based compounds, such as H2S, H2SO4, mercaptans, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i tried using primium and it worked for a little and then it came back. i think it might have to do with the gas station. i used SA for my gas so im gonna try holiday next time i fill up. also i have noticed it smells more during the winter then the summer. good point zoominbyu. never notice untill u said that. god i love this forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts