Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This sound just started coming from my car (2004 w/AT) in the last couple of days when I turn it off and I can't figure out what it is, so trying to get some opinions. The car is running great and there doesn't seem to be any noise while the car is running, only when it is turned off.

Here is an audio clip so you can hear it for yourself:

Let me know what you think this might be...thanks for your time!

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

zoomzoom--so your "hissing" noise is the same as the noise that happens at about 8 seconds in to the youtube audio?

To me it sounds like something is spinning and it has some mass to it--almost like a fan that is scraping something.

This sound doesn't seem to be coming from the throttle body area--that makes it's own little noises, but more over by the alternator.

·
Registered
166 Posts
my actual hissing noise is constant(regardless of rpm) and coming from the throttle body however I have the same noise from your video after I shut my car off however its only for 1 or 2 seconds and does sound like something is slowing down. I noticed it seemed stronger near the bottom of the engine in the crankcase area. Unfortunately I only have a couple seconds to tune in without killing my starter so I have just learned to live with it. Its really hard to diagnose a problem especially when you don't have another mazda6 to listen to.
One of the tech's at my local autozone had an 05 6i and his had a slight hissing but it seemed to be coming from the belt . When he shut his engine off I didn't hear that noise at all so to be honest I do not know what to think. I would think if its something major, your CEL will come on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its the alternator pulley that making the hissing sound I had mines replaced and it still makes the same sound so it normal i think! cant recall hearing it when i just got the mazda 6 tho!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 03 6i and i have same sound, sounds like air being released., Noticed it was louder after the cold air intake install tho.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know its an old thread, but whats the follow up, cuz ma 6 iz doin that too, and it iz rotatin, ma lubrication system iz all good, so what the hell iz it?!?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The OP sound doesn't sound like a HISS. It sounds like something winding down from a higher speed and stopping. I'd be checking the cooling fan(s).

Turning the A/C will almost always turn on the fans. If you have a helper turn the key off and/or A/C off you may be able to stand there and observe it.

If no helper, Find the relay that controls them and/or fuse and pull it when its on to shut it off and listen. You might place your hand on the shroud so you can also feel the vibration.

how many miles and what year is your car?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It's the throttle body cycling off. It's normal.

tapatalking.. err wait.
The ones I've heard are not that loud, but they are certainly audible.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
The ones I've heard are not that loud, but they are certainly audible.
Mine were louder than the engine itself, even under accel.

Although, my engine spins down much more quickly than it sounds in the video.. so now I'm thinking it could be the fan.

OP: try turning the engine off but turning the ignition back to "run" quickly (without starting again).. if the sound keeps going it's definitely the fan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My mazda6 (2012) makes the same noise that you can hear @ 7seconds, right before the saw like noise. My makes the same noise (a fart-like noise lol that's what i call it) but a lil bit louder like if something is shutting off. is that normal?

·
Registered
166 Posts
To give everyone an update on my sound from 3 years ago turns out it was the hose under the intake manifold had a Crack. I diagnosed it by spraying a mist if distilled water in that area and when the engine choked I knew there was a vacuum leak. Hope this helps anyone we used a Super thick radiator hose from autozone as a replacement trust me it won't happen again!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2.3 non turbo is making the same noise. It's the altenator spinning even after the engine has stopped. Sounds just like a bad turbo spinning down. Not sure just yet how this can happen. Altenator is charging just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, from what I can see up top, the alternators fan is not on the front end behind the pulley like most are. It in on the inside rear end of the altenator and there is a plastic snout to gather cool air as far away from the exhaust as possible. This fan blade has obviously came loose from the shaft. I'm guessing that eventually it will fail or become extremely noisy all the time. Hum... time will tell. I'm gonna run it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts