Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite some time attempting to switch to manumatic the vehicle either doesn't recognize the switch, or if it does it switches back into drive as soon I attempt to switch to another gear. No codes present. Vehicle mostly in good condition; What's the best line of checking?

Vehicle is a 2004 Mazda 6; 3.1L

Thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts
It could be faulty switches under the console. I think @DrFeelGood replaced his switches in his wagon but I'm not sure if his had an issue prior to changing them out or not. He should be able to tell you more about it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
It could be faulty switches under the console. I think @DrFeelGood replaced his switches in his wagon but I'm not sure if his had an issue prior to changing them out or not. He should be able to tell you more about it.
I remember a thread about replacing the switch in the parking sensor. It might be possible that the procedure is the same.

·
Rally Racer
1,994 Posts
For quite some time attempting to switch to manumatic the vehicle either doesn't recognize the switch, or if it does it switches back into drive as soon I attempt to switch to another gear. No codes present. Vehicle mostly in good condition; What's the best line of checking?

Vehicle is a 2004 Mazda 6; 3.1L

Thanks!
The switch sets are known to fault after time. There are three (3) switches total. One to signal the selection of [Manual] mode and two others to up-shift and down-shift.

The system is designed to give you tow downshifts immediately. There is a short pause (2-3 sec) before more downshifts are available.

The switches are not available separately but must be purchased as part of the entire shift assembly. I was able to make a trip to a local salvage yard and pull a harness from one of the vehicles there. They can be found used for the 5-speed ATX found in 2003-2005 6cyl and 05-07 4cyl .

The switches are easy enough to remove but can be a little time consuming to pop back into place. The screws (marked in RED) could not be removed on my unit so I had to do everything with it in place. Two switches were quite easy but one of them (pictured in GREEN) was a bit more challenging. After bending a paper clip just right I was able to get it in.

Someone on here found a source for the switch and was selling them but that was years ago.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the mention Ray, I believe you are right on. The OP describes exactly what was happening to me. Sometimes a shot of electrical cleaner in the switch can help for a bit (at least maybe verify the fault).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I'll be sure to give it a go and let yow know the results. Are those switches generic switches like in a computer mouse? If so I've got a few suppliers that carry those parts, hell may even have a few laying around still from other repairs.

Talk soon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts