Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So recently I started noticing the car acts odd when I give it sudden power or let go of gas too fast and then give it gas again.

What will happen is, I will give it gas, and the car will all of a sudden temporarily loose all power, hiccup if you will then go back to it normal self and rocket away. I have yet to see it do this on steady acceleration, however when shifting from high rpms with the sudden let off of gas, it does it. Often when I engage the next gear it will feel like I just ran into a giant slab of butter and loose power.

Today at a stop light, I’m waiting to go and am in 1st, my lane is ready to go, so I start accelerating with "enthusiasm" and the car all of a sudden at about 3K rpm just flat out stutters like no other. Clutch has been let off a long time ago while I was not accelerating hard, just that extra punch at about 2.5K rpm. Anyway, as soon as it fell flat on its face, stuttered once or twice and then it was back up to full power with the wheels spinning easily.

Now, this is starting to happen more and more often, and this morning when I was backing up it lost almost all power when I was accelerating and it had not been hard, just slightly sudden. I though I hit something from how sudden the hiccup came that I actually got out of my car to make sure.

So far no CEL lights though at any time...

Anyway, I’ve been driving / racing MTX all my life so no "user" errors here. These are only recent as well and I only bring it up because it seems its starting to happen more often.

I was also wondering if the cpe had anything to do with it since right after i had installed it and turned the car on for the first time with the new maf box.. the car did this werid cycling where it would "rev" itself from 1000 to 1500 rpm until i shut it off and restarted. I had been on a dyno at the time and it was fine after the resetart and pulled hard later...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Ok, not an expert, and don't know what I'm talking about, so I'm going to ask a question.

Did you solder the wires for the mafci box? I'm curious if one of them is maybe wiggling loose and causing some issues. (for the experts out there, is this an issue?)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes that is an issue, I found that out last night. What you should do to double check to see if its wiring is run the car in park, get under the dash and wiggle the MAFci wires. If the car sputters, then you have a loose connection.

Found that out the hard way :p

Also, check the spark plugs and ignition coils and for any vacuum leaks up front. Chances are though, its probably loose wires. Though if they were loose, you'd probably get a running rich or lean CEL. Just depends on the wire loose I guess.

·
Registered
328 Posts
something like that happened to me not to long after i bought the car in may...
i have an auto.. anyways, so i was at a red light... then turns green. im the first in the line.. i go to press the gas.. doesnt move whatsoever.... the rpm is moving up, but no acceleration. i start to freak out... put the car in park, then back to drive, still wont go!!! so i turn the car off... turn it right back on..and back to normal.. is drives.

took it to the mazda dealership, they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it!!! but its never happened again, but it freaked me out

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had soldered the wires the first time, and the mafci box did not work right and i had CPE send me a new one. At that point I redid all the wires, and redynoed the car. Box worked great and i picked up 10Hp over old one, so thats twice that ive checked all wires. THe first time though nothing was wrong, i just double checked to eliminate a variable.

The way i did it was, i stripped the ecu wires about half an inch, and stripped the cpe wires half an inche. Wrapped the cpe wires around the ecu wires firs, then soldered, then wrapped up with electrical tape... If anything the loose connection is on the other end maybe.

One thing to note though, both times this has happened has been during wet weather, either rain or right after rain...

this morning after a day of no rain it pulled great again.

not sure if this is conicidence or not, so will have to wait for the next time it rains and ill do the wire wilggle "test" as well.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
possibly a throttle body?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I've heard of someone having a problem with their car like this in wet weather (I believe it was like this), and it was because of a cracked distributer cap. Do we even have one of those, or is it a distributerless ignition?

RoX, did you try MadMardigan's approach of jiggling the handle, I mean wires, a bit while it is running? Maybe even jiggling the box a bit.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i jiggled the crap out of that box and tugged on the wires, not too hard but around and around and nothing... car idled at 1000 and eventually at 750. It pulled really hard all day... so no idea. I am ruling out loose connections at this point then. Its due to rain within the next few days and ill see if it acts up again.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Umm.... Gremlins? When they get wet they multiply, and that's what causes your car to have issues.

Sorry, not a mechanic mind type by nature, so I'm tapped for ideas.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I think I know what your the problem is....the next time you start your car in the morning, try turning off the TCS. With the mafci, you can easily get some minor wheel slip early in the morning upon starting up the car for the first time of the day, when the air is colder and denser. As far as the weird idling cycles, I haven't had anything like that occur.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Since this problem is hard to pinpoint, I would remove the MAFci system altogether and drive the car for a few days to a week. If the problem goes away then at least you'll know it's related to the MAF system and can then work from there. The other possibilities I can think of are: the MAF sensor, throttlebody or fuel pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
Betelgeuse
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing