Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your help please. IL Air Team will not pass my '03 mazda 6s due to "no communication" between my car and their OBDII. Tried to pass with engine light on, no go! Bank 2 O2 sensor was replaced, engine light went off, drove it for 130 miles. Back to the Air Team (second trip), "no communication" AGAIN. Figured the amp & sub were lowering the volts, unhooked the relay wire and also unhooked from the battery. Back to the Air Team (third time), no go!! The engine light is not on, and I've hooked up three different scanners to the OBDII and they are not showing codes!! I took the car to the Mazda dealer and they didn't get any codes. The Air Team says the reason is: the car has low voltage. My plate sticker was due on Oct. 31st and I can't get that until I pass emmissions, I'm rolling dirty. How do you fix somehting that's not broke????? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting really frutstrated. :angry2:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Although you provided good detail, for this issue we need more. Are you saying 3 other code readers SCAN the OBDII CAN Bus and report no findings?

Yet Air Team fails its for lack of comms? Go to another station. Also, many of these places try to connect while the engine is running. Step up, say no - turn the engine off, connect your hardware, wait, turn key to run, wait, and then start it.

You might find and print the original PDF on this and bring it along.

FROM: http://forum.mazda6club.com/electri...ink-applied-brakes-u1900-abs.html#post3650081 << Please post comments about this issue in the link provided.

(( PASTE for Reference ))

Condensed story; 06s approaching 90,000 miles. 2013-09-23 morning commute had the car idling for 1.5 hours. It was fine when I parked it. I had no observations.

Drive home 9hrs later. I notice its being kinda grab @ss with the throttle and the idle is down about 100 RPMs but not missing. Just low, thus making the "take off" feel kinda strange. So i plug in the OBDII blue tooth reader and get the Android Torque app spun up. No codes, no DTC's, so I start watching the O2 sensors on bank 1 & 2. Kinda ratty at times but NBD.

I make 3 diferent stops just walking away from the car after shutting it off but leaving the app running. On the last round I'm just about home and wanted to read the values from the PIDs. The APP reports lost communication with the ECU and BAAAAAAAAM the rear brakes are applied almost skidding on the wet road. MIL for CEL and ATX come on and I feel the anti-lock pulsing the pedal. I turned the car off and the brakes let off. Turn key on and ATX mil is lit, car is in 3rd gear CEL is on but not flashing ATX MIL is on. I pull over and get off the main road turn the car off. I pulled the OBD dongle and started it. CEL is on, ATX MIL is off. OK - I plug in dongle and get a read - U0100 network, U1900 Network/ABS.
Figuring my probing caused this I disconnected and drove for 5 miles. Alls is well. Connect and scan one more time. Only the U0100 code remains. So I cleared it. Car drove fine today.

I found this on several different sites. Take away - That could have ended badly, use caution when pulling the ECU/ECM for codes. I did it while driving and created some one off anomaly triggering the ABS unit! BE CAREFUL!!!

((PASTE))
Service bulletin:
Originally Posted by Mazda USA, CA
Bulletin No: 01-002/05 Last Issued: 01/13/2005

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
All 2003 - 2004 Mazda 6
2005 Mazda 6 2.3L only

SUBJECT: FALSE MIL ILLUMINATION WITH MULTIPLE U-CODES DTCS

DESCRIPTION:
Some customer vehicles may have a false MIL illumination with multiple U-code DTCs. This condition may be caused if the WDS DLC cable is connected or disconnected while the ignition switch is in the ON position, or when the engine is idling. IMPORTANT: When connecting or disconnecting the WDS DLC cable (or any scan tool equipment) to the DLC-2 connector (under dash), the ignition switch must be in the OFF position, otherwise, the MIL light may come ON and false CAN communication DTC codes may be set in the different CAN bus modules. The following DTCs may be stored if this condition occurs:
U1900-ABS
U2516-ABS
U1900-FF-IC
U2516-FF-IC
U0073-FF-PCM
U0073-FF-TCM
U0100-FF-TCM

NOTE:It has been reported that some customer vehicles have failed the state emission OBD II test. This may be caused by the inspection station connecting or disconnecting the DLC cable when the ignition switch in the ON position, or when the engine is idling. Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1.Verify customer concern.
2.Erase all DTCs.
3.Turn OFF MIL.
4.Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
5.Disconnect WDS DLC or scan tool cable.
6.Verify repair.
NOTE: do not return vehicle to customer with MIL illuminated.

There is a PDF of this!!

(( Granted, it says it was fixed but clearly its not 100% (read the forums), plenty of other cars have had this issue Ford and Mazda from 2003 to 2007 ))

Link: http://forum.mazda6club.com/site-suggestions-ideas/273569-new-sub-forum-ecu-bcu-tcu-error-codes.html

JJD952

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've hooked up "three" other readers and no codes. Engine light is not on. I'll print the PDF and take it to the Air Team. There's only two locations and I've used both. I'll keep you posted. Thanks F.I.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem with a 2003 Mazda 6. Took it to the smog shop and they said they tried three different units. None could connect. Their advice was to disconnect the battery, drive 75 miles to reset the computer and bring it back. Did that and still could not connect. Did some research and found this posting. Went back and asked them to connect when motor was off, then turn the key to accessory wait 10 seconds and then start the car. Worked fine and passed. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need your help please. IL Air Team will not pass my '03 mazda 6s due to "no communication" between my car and their OBDII. Tried to pass with engine light on, no go! Bank 2 O2 sensor was replaced, engine light went off, drove it for 130 miles. Back to the Air Team (second trip), "no communication" AGAIN. Figured the amp & sub were lowering the volts, unhooked the relay wire and also unhooked from the battery. Back to the Air Team (third time), no go!! The engine light is not on, and I've hooked up three different scanners to the OBDII and they are not showing codes!! I took the car to the Mazda dealer and they didn't get any codes. The Air Team says the reason is: the car has low voltage. My plate sticker was due on Oct. 31st and I can't get that until I pass emmissions, I'm rolling dirty. How do you fix somehting that's not broke????? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting really frutstrated. :angry2:

I know it's not the year for an OBD1 but I have a 2003 Mazda 6i and only an OBD1 will ready my cars computer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts