Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Singapore, we can 'bid' for a bunch of predetermined number plates
eg..SDZ1234A or SDZ6666M etc for a minimum bid price of US$600/=. It is
a rip off, but still SDZ6Z would look cool on my M6...otherwise you take a chance
with the random numbers like SDZ3719U or some numbers like this. How does this
work in other countries?:(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Reading Topic: Number Plates

Hum.
We don't have that in the US. Are you refering to a custom license plate?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

I think most states have what are referred to as "Vanity Plates." You can get almost any word/phrase as your license plate, up to a certain character limit. I say almost also because profanities aren't allowed.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

No he means digit plates. Yes, many states have lottery systems for getting low digit plates. For instance, if you want a plate 1-9999, you have to enter a "lottery". They instituted such a system in RI because the rich and politically powerful would use these lower digit plates as ways to pay favors to people.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Number Plates'

Originally posted by mazda6guy

No he means digit plates.  Yes, many states have lottery systems for getting low digit plates.  For instance, if you want a plate 1-9999, you have to enter a "lottery".  They instituted such a system in RI because the rich and politically powerful would use these lower digit plates as ways to pay favors to people.[/b]
Same in MA for 1 through 9999. I have a 5 digit plate which is considered a reserved plate but not a vanity plate.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

Originally posted by mazda6guy

No he means digit plates.  Yes, many states have lottery systems for getting low digit plates.  For instance, if you want a plate 1-9999, you have to enter a "lottery".  They instituted such a system in RI because the rich and politically powerful would use these lower digit plates as ways to pay favors to people.[/b]
My bad. You're right. In Indiana we don't have the lottery but the low number plates usually go to the "powerful" people. However, such numbers would have no bearing here in relation to the 6 because our plates are numbered by county. So, for Indianapolis a plate would by 49 (County #) a letter and then up to four digits. Vanity plates would be the way to go

·
Registered
204 Posts

In jersey we can pretty much get anything wa want on it but it must have at least three letters and a maximum of seven characters in combinations of letters and numbers. It's only a one time fee of $50 bucks.

·
Registered
230 Posts

In Alberta, typically plates have 7 characters - 3 letters followed by a hyphen followed by 3 numbers. However, the province will soon run out of plates using this system (we're at Y already, and X is already used for motorcycles and trailers, so we only have Z left); and will have to change the system soon, probably within 2 or three years (but I believe a new style of license plate will be issued in 2005 for the province's centennial, so that would be a good time to implement a new system).

In Ireland, where I am originally from, the license plates are about the most logical that I have ever seen. An example Irish plate would be 02-D-47565. This plate tells the year that the car was registered (02); the county it was registered in (D - Dublin). The 47565 tells you that this car was the 47,565th car registered in County Dublin in 2002. There are a total of 26 counties in the Republic of Ireland, and each has its own letter code, but the overall format of the plate is the same regardless of county. There are no vanity plates in Ireland; however, in County Dublin, the plate XX-D-1 (where XX is any year) is always reserved for the Lord Mayor's car. License plates in Ireland also stay with the car they originally come on - if the car is sold, the plate goes with it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Vanity is nice, but in Rhode Island you are charged an extra $60.00 a year for vanity plates. So your fee would be $120.00 every two years to DMV, instead of $60 every two years for regular plates.

Not worth the it IMO.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: Numbe

Ah... we keep our licence plates pretty much forever.

Edit:
As long as we want, that is

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Here it's like that:

1-3 letters for the city you live in followed by a dash, then 1 to 2 letters of your choice and finally 2 to 4 numbers free to choose (if available)

You can make combinations with it like:
S-EX 10
RE-VS 666
BE-ER 247
B-AD 66
F-UK 69
R-ED 10

You get the idea...

·
Registered
111 Posts

why would you want a low-number license plate?

i want a license plate that is the least easy for someone to remember.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

In New York, the license plate 1 belongs to the president? of the Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame. I know, I was there and saw it :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This is the current situation in Singapore for car number plates:

It is now at the SDZ1x to SDZ9999x range & logically next it should be SEA1x to SEA9999x. The 'x' at the end is a generated letter that can make or break your chosen number. When it reaches SEX1x to SEX9999x, it is suppose to get interesting as you'll start to see cars with 'SEX' running all over this prudish country.
But guess what, the authorities anticipated this and it has decided to skip the SEA1x to SEZ9999x range.
Instead after SDZ comes SFA and we can start bidding for the special numbers now.
Even with the lack of 'SEX', I am thinking of SDZ6M, for US$600/= for my M6, what do ya think?

By the way, I started this thread as with my first post about 'number plates' and I am
so touched by the contributions from all over! Thanks guys :D :D :p

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Originally posted by M6BOB

When it reaches SEX1x to SEX9999x, it is suppose to get interesting as you'll start to see cars with 'SEX' running all over this prudish country.[/b]
LOL

·
Registered
237 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Number Plates'

i don't want to give my whole number plate away. but the numbers start with 666xx
and its not even a personalised number, we got it free from the dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts