Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently i purchased the NRG Hood Dampers for my 6 thru a GB by Donny at RPM, Thanks Donny!

Anyway, once i installed the dampers, i noticed that the hood still felt like it wanted to close, and at times it wouldnt stay up at all, like the dampers werent Strong enough to hold up the hood. At first i figured, damn.....its the extra weight of the mirrors i have under my hood thats causing it, so my thoughts were i was gonna sell them.

Come to find out Dave(DJquik1) said he experienced the same thing with his 6. and went to a CF hood and that fixed it. Well me personally i have never been a fan of CF on my personal cars. so i started thinking.

How can i make this work?

Originally the damper are supposed to be install with the shock end attached to the lower bolt of the hood hinge , and the other end to the 2nd fender bolt. look below:

Of course that doesnt work for me. So i attempted to create more leverage by bolting the shock side of the damper to the upper bolt on the hood hinge.

That didnt work.......reason being is that the base of the ball was stopping the knuckle(non-shock end) from rotating enough to attach the shock end to the upper bolt. so here's what i did.

1. removed the both dampers from the car and used the stock hood prop to hold the hood.

2. took a black permanent marker and marked the ball on the fenders at the point facing the front of the car.

see the mark i put below:

i did this to both ball joints.

3. took my vice grip and marked the upper portion of it to let me know that the mark on the ball joints face toward that mark(so i know which way to bend the ball.

4. position the the ball joint, ball side out.......thread side in. With the edge of the ball joint bolting surface BETWEEN the teeth of the vice grip with the marked side one tooth ahead of the unmarked side(this increases the grip)

5. put the marked side of the vice grip on the ground and hold it.

6. using a torch het the ball joint until its red hot.

7. take a hammer and hit downward on the ball joint to bend it

***SEE VID BELOW FOR STEPS 5-7***

8. repeat steps 4-7 on the other ball joint.

9. let ball joints cool down naturally(DO NOT throw water on them because it will make them brittle)

10. once cool, install the ball joints on their respective sides. you should now have a ball joint that looks like this on both sides.

11. move the dampers shock side brackets one at a time to the upper bolt of the hood hinge and tighten.

12. reinstall both dampers completely

13. put down your stock hood prop and close your hood. Your done.

***LOOK BELOW FOR FINISHED PRODUCT***

****In the event of one or both of the dampers shock side brackets turning inward toward the center of the hood. Purchase to lock washers(the type with the lock notches around the entire washer and put them on as well****

With the added weight of the mirrors on my stock hood, this mod gives the shocks more leverage therefore giving them the strength to lift the hood on their own once its almost half way open.

QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Smartest man alive

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (coervi @ Oct 5 2008, 03:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1452446
Smartest man alive[/b]

i wouldnt say that, lol..........but thanks. i just analyze the situation and/or problem, then find a way to fix it. for some reason i was good at stuff like that since i was young.

whats funny is, to this day i cant complete a rubix cube....LMAO! i've tried, but i just dont get the concept......lol........

me doing a rubix cube is like watching a blonde have a "DUH DUH DUH" moment....lol

QUOTE (GeneralPatton @ Oct 5 2008, 05:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1452456
or just the craziest

im still not sure yet.

good write up, crazy tactics -_-, that man really wants them fuckers to work lol[/b]

i've been know to be on the nutty side, lol

i figured if it didnt work, those lil ball joints can only be a few bucks...........so i'd just buy 2 new ones and sell the whole kit, but i got it to work, lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
NY....well, what can I say. You have too much time on your hands bro...ha ha. Im glad you got them to work. Anytime you want to sell me your "hand-me-downs" let me know.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Branson 6 @ Oct 6 2008, 01:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1452930
NY....well, what can I say. You have too much time on your hands bro...ha ha. Im glad you got them to work. Anytime you want to sell me your "hand-me-downs" let me know.[/b]

haha, no doubt

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (The Great NY @ Oct 5 2008, 06:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1452463
whats funny is, to this day i cant complete a rubix cube....LMAO! i've tried, but i just dont get the concept......lol........

me doing a rubix cube is like watching a blonde have a "DUH DUH DUH" moment....lol[/b]

dude thats cuz a rubiks cube is hard as shit to figure out unless someone shows you the technique lol

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
712 Posts
The reason this happened is that TGNY installed the hood-side brackets on the lower bolt. When the dampers are extended at that angle, there isn't enough backpressure from the dampers to support the hood, so it falls down. If you install them on the upper bolt, the dampers will support the hood just fine... no insane modification necessary. I enjoyed the videos though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was getting sick of using the hood prop rod, so I ordered me some NRG hood dampers... took about 15 mins to install, and they work great! They do bolt to the top bolt on the hood, as you can see in the picture I took of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Note to Justin, get nicer vice grips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts