Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Impressive that the car would hold up to that term ... GM cuts the power at 122'ish so that the rubber tires do not schred right off the car...In Japan you can go for it...I guess...I think it is great to be able to buy up this torque filled FWD car...very cool...280 ft lbs at 3000 rpm's...yea...I am in...

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
as soon as i get my tranny done i'll see what my car can do. 145 was no prob in the atx, so we'll see how things go....just need some hood pins.

there's a couple speed3's here in Vegas, but all still looking stock. was hoping Mazda would have given some out to be played with for this week.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AHHH Why oh Why couldn't this have been a Sedan!! :tear:
[/b]

I would have liked to have seen the sedan as the basis too, with the awd and 250kWs...ah we can all dream. What beast that would be...!
[/b]

Haha, Mazda already has a car that pretty much fits both these criteria except for the 250kw. Yes, it's the Mazdaspeed 6. And it's available today for cheap, so quit crying. :p Besides the hatch is so much more interesting to look at than the bland mazda 3 sedan imo. And just today I was able to fit some rather big boxes in the back, with the seats down. Something I couldn't even do with my 6!

as soon as i get my tranny done i'll see what my car can do. 145 was no prob in the atx, so we'll see how things go....just need some hood pins.

there's a couple speed3's here in Vegas, but all still looking stock. was hoping Mazda would have given some out to be played with for this week.
[/b]

Yeah I'd like to know how that swap goes for you. As tempting as it might be, I'd never go anywhere near that speed with my car, it's too dangerous here. If you did 145 in the atx, then 150+ should be easy. I guess you already bypassed the governor?

·
Registered
375 Posts
155 isnt that impressive with the fwd cars out there
the old preludes did it pretty easily
i know i owned one
hell ive seen integras go near that (not the gsr or type r)

now if it said 170 id be damn impressed

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
155 isnt that impressive with the fwd cars out there
the old preludes did it pretty easily
i know i owned one
hell ive seen integras go near that (not the gsr or type r)

now if it said 170 id be damn impressed
[/b]
Remember it's governed, not drag limited. Lift the governor and who knows.

·
Registered
375 Posts
prob not much more...
with the power needed to get much faster because of wind resistance... i would be really suprised to see any more than 160 if that
especially if you are near the 5k power drop off of the engine when you get to 155....

think of it this way a 505 hp corvette with much much better aeros than the mazdaspeed 3 can do 198
the 400hp vette same body has trouble hitting 180
thats almost 20 mph per 100 hp

and its not like 600 would get you to 220 in that reg vette either cause its all incramental at that point it would cost you 720hp to get there (lingenfelter vette)
and then over 900hp to get to 240mph(new tt lpe vette)

now i could see the car if it was at about 4k rpms at 155 going to 165 before it started to lose speed and the turbo started to melt (joking) if it was at that rpm. but to go any faster than that youd need more that 350whp on that car and some better aerodynamics and then youd still be pushing it pretty hard

anyone know the gear ratios rev limiter and stock tire size for the speed3 i could do the math that way

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
prob not much more...
with the power needed to get much faster because of wind resistance... i would be really suprised to see any more than 160 if that
especially if you are near the 5k power drop off of the engine when you get to 155....

think of it this way a 505 hp corvette with much much better aeros than the mazdaspeed 3 can do 198
the 400hp vette same body has trouble hitting 180
thats almost 20 mph per 100 hp

and its not like 600 would get you to 220 in that reg vette either cause its all incramental at that point it would cost you 720hp to get there (lingenfelter vette)
and then over 900hp to get to 240mph(new tt lpe vette)

now i could see the car if it was at about 4k rpms at 155 going to 165 before it started to lose speed and the turbo started to melt (joking) if it was at that rpm. but to go any faster than that youd need more that 350whp on that car and some better aerodynamics and then youd still be pushing it pretty hard

anyone know the gear ratios rev limiter and stock tire size for the speed3 i could do the math that way
[/b]
It's still impressive for a cheap stock car, no matter how you look at it. Would I do that? Never.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Remember it's governed, not drag limited. Lift the governor and who knows.
[/b]
I think C&D calculated that it would take just about the amount of hp it has to reach 155 given it's drag coefficient.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts