Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I just recently had a somewhat scary problem with my 6. I drive an '05 6 i sport, I was driving in stop and go traffic and when I let off my brake my car began to accelarate by itself. The engine fluctuated up and down between 1 and 2.5 rpm's and when I pulled over and stuck it in neutral, it climbed to 3000 rpm by itself. I popped the hood and could smell a burning smell, but my temperatures were fine. So i'm wondering, is this a computer glitch, a burning wire possibly? Do you guys know or experienced this and have any advice as to what I should do? :confused: Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Is yours an automatic? Everything stock in the car, ie. did you change/add anything to it? If it's an automatic, maybe disconnect the battery, wait about 15 minutes, and the reconnect ... see if the computer can reset and re-learn the shift patterns.

Some other things to check ... air filter, oil change, transmission fluid, coolant ... throwing ideas out there.

Reactions: rvcakid12

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply drone....and yea mine is an automatic and everything is completely stock. Just changed the oil and filter about 2k miles ago so I don't believe that's the case...any other suggestions? and should I take this to mazda or just a local shop?

·
Registered
859 Posts
How about the air intake filter (different than the oil filter). Try disconnecting the battery? Maybe change the brand of gas you're using (and use only 87 octane regular).

Did this problem start recently? After anything specific that was done? i.e. after the oil change you just did?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
drone,

no this didn't occur after anything specific it just came unexpectedly out of nowhere. I have removed the battery like you suggested but i don't know if that would solve the burning smell that i'm experiencing though, tough to tell. I'm gonna clean my engine bay with hopes that that might cure this dilemma.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts