Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just picked up a 2004 Mazda 6, V6 5 spd. Its really fun to drive and I really like it. I've had it for about 4 days. I've had a Mazda B2200 when I was young, I really loved that little truck till it was destroyed in a rear end accident. I recently sold a 2008 Mazda 3. That was my wifes car until we got her a bigger SUV due to kids. So, I went to put in a Bluetooth adapter into my 6. Its an adapter that plugs right into the back of the stock radio. Once I did that, nothing is working. The LCD display doesn't light up at all, and none of the radio input controls work. I can only change the radio station from the steering wheel controls. It seems like a fuse was blown, but I cant find any bad fuses under the hood. Any insight on this, or is there a better spot on the forum for me to ask this specific question?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh, might be a short in how the plug is configured. Pull it back out and see if it works again. What did you get?
I tried that, and there was no change. There is another fuse box near the pedals on the drivers side. I visually inspected those this morning, and they looked fine. I'll check with a test light when I get a chance. Seems like the unit is just not receiving power.

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 6i Grand Touring - 2.5L I4 Auto
170 Posts
I found this video that may be of some use. It seems there are two fuses in the compartment that are associated with the stereo. A15amp fuse which is for power and 5amp fuse for the illumination. I actually have my doubts about the location of the fuses this guy is pointing to, based on what the owner's manual is saying. The video is labelled as a 2008, but he says it is a 2006. Either way, the cabin fuse block on the 2004 (your car) is slightly different from that in the 2006 or 2008. This is the owner's manual for the 2004. Check all of these to see if there are any that are out. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found this video that may be of some use. It seems there are two fuses in the compartment that are associated with the stereo. A15amp fuse which is for power and 5amp fuse for the illumination. I actually have my doubts about the location of the fuses this guy is pointing to, based on what the owner's manual is saying. The video is labelled as a 2008, but he says it is a 2006. Either way, the cabin fuse block on the 2004 (your car) is slightly different from that in the 2006 or 2008. This is the owner's manual for the 2004. Check all of these to see if there are any that are out. Good luck.

Yea, thanks. I checked all the fuses in the interior box and the one under the hood. They are all good. I'm pretty confused now. The flashers and the AC controls work, but nothing else works and the display isn't working. I'm pretty bummed right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats why i asked what you bought, its possible you shorted something if its wired wrong.
Sorry, I forgot to post that. I bought this interface.

I think this is the problem. It plugs directly into the back of the stock head unit. It may either be the wrong part, or a bad part and it shorted out the power in the head itself and not a fuse. Huge bummer. I called tech support for this company and they want me to send them a picture of how I wired it, so I'll do that and see what they say. I found a review on the product page way down where someone else with an 04 Mazda 6 installed this and they mentioned having to wire a circuit in the head. I don't see where that is applicable, but maybe I missed something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Says right in the ad for Mazda 3, not the 6, different radios. I bet you fried it. Theres a MUCH cheaper module thats been used with really good results @DrFeelGood can link it and if your radio is dead, i can sell you mine.
Sadly, I think you're right. I did see that it didn't specifically say Mazda 6, but I saw reviews and links showing that it would. I was likely wrong. Live and learn, right? I'd love to see the link you mentioned for the other module. Let me know what you want for your radio. I'm in SoCal so shipping could be a factor.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Sadly, I think you're right. I did see that it didn't specifically say Mazda 6, but I saw reviews and links showing that it would. I was likely wrong. Live and learn, right? I'd love to see the link you mentioned for the other module. Let me know what you want for your radio. I'm in SoCal so shipping could be a factor.
Nah, it would fit in a flat rate box. Theres one on eBay for $80 + shipping, say $60 OBO shipped? Its the Bose 6 disc changer and the AUX in i did on it comes with. Ill get pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Interesting update. I found a wiring diagram for this head unit so I could just check that there was power getting to the head unit. I took it all apart again and unplugged the main plug on the back and verified that there was 12v present at the plug at least. There was. I plugged it back in and I heard the CD player making noises. So I turned the key on and the unit is working. The only thing is the LCD display is still not working. I suppose I should check that plug to see if power is making it to the little screen. That way I would know if its a fried screen, or lack of power from the head unit. Odd these things can be. I'm tempted to try the adapter again.... Probably shouldn't...

Edit for update: I checked to see if there was power making it from the head unit to the LCD display and there is not. There is however, continuity between the +B and Ground terminals. So, I guess there is a short in the head between + an - going out to the LCD. In this case, I still need a new head unit so @TalonTsi90, if you want to sell the one you have to me, I'd be interested in it still

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Interesting update. I found a wiring diagram for this head unit so I could just check that there was power getting to the head unit. I took it all apart again and unplugged the main plug on the back and verified that there was 12v present at the plug at least. There was. I plugged it back in and I heard the CD player making noises. So I turned the key on and the unit is working. The only thing is the LCD display is still not working. I suppose I should check that plug to see if power is making it to the little screen. That way I would know if its a fried screen, or lack of power from the head unit. Odd these things can be. I'm tempted to try the adapter again.... Probably shouldn't...

Edit for update: I checked to see if there was power making it from the head unit to the LCD display and there is not. There is however, continuity between the +B and Ground terminals. So, I guess there is a short in the head between + an - going out to the LCD. In this case, I still need a new head unit so @TalonTsi90, if you want to sell the one you have to me, I'd be interested in it still
Ok, i totally got side tracked today and didnt pull it. Depending on the weather it might have wait till Sat if its not warm enough to run down during breaks and lunch tomorrow/Friday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got it all working. There are little plugs on the backside of plastic face. One of those was not snapping in all the way. I had to bend the housing a little bit to get it to go in and that got it all working again! I am not going to try again to install the Bluetooth adapter I got. I'm going to try and find a better option. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I got it all working. There are little plugs on the backside of plastic face. One of those was not snapping in all the way. I had to bend the housing a little bit to get it to go in and that got it all working again! I am not going to try again to install the Bluetooth adapter I got. I'm going to try and find a better option. Thanks for the help!
Good, cause we got dumped on snow wise and i cut the end of my left thumb off so things are difficult lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts