Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this article on Car and Drivers web site. Scion is actually rebadging and selling Mazda's. In this case the Mazda 2 which is not sold in the US (I always thought Scion was part of Toyota). Interesting enough, C&D is very impressed with the car. Other then the front end(which really is ugly) and Scion badging you'd be hard pressed to tell it from a Mazda inside and out.

2016 Scion iA Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was behind a green mazda 2 yesterday. I see them every now and then

Yes mazda doing this was part of the whole deal with toyota funding mazda with a little bit o cash :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Mazda and Toyota have entered a partnership as of last year. Looks like Toyota is tapping the 2 series for their Scion. I saw one the other day, that front end is BUTT ugly.

If I read right, Mazda will be using Toyota's hybrid system to come out with their own hybrid, likely in an attempt to meed CARB requirements in California. Don't be surprised if you hear about a Mazda3 Hybrid in the near future.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The new Mazda 2/Scion iA collab was part of the partnership in which Mazda entered with Toyota as Micheal mentioned. It was one of the big trade offs in their deal for Toyota funding a large portion of the new production plant in Mexico for the 15'+ M3, CX5? & I believe the CX3 as well. Which is unfortunate because you can certainly tell the difference of overall build quality in models produced south of our US boarder. Thankfully USDM 6's are still produced out of Japan.. For now..

From what I've found, Toyota will be implementing a lot of skyactiv technology in their upcoming models and in turn Mazda will receive a lot of R&D for hybrid tech in next generation Skyactiv vehicles. I think a Lexus CT200 would be pretty neat to see with a bit of Kodu influences and branded as a M3.

I don't see anything really negative coming from this in any way at all since you'll have a combination of Mazda's creative engineering mixed with Toyota's deep pockets.

That being said I would really hate for my next M6 getting confused with a Camry. Only time will tell at this point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
aneville11
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing