Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the Mazda is going to come out at least 20 hp less than its competitors like the Altima and the Accord. What are some quick and easy ways to give the car 30 hp and spend as little as possible? What advantages would a supercharger or turbocharger do, and what would be the cost? Could someone (duratecperf maybe) give a list of the mods that could be done, and the estimated hp advantages they would bring? This car is going to be the best handling, best looking sedan, and it needs an engine to match that...I think we all agree.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Not fast enough!!!'

What engine are you referring to?

Ther are many ways to increase HP on the engines....especially the 3.0L V6. I am sure the intake will be restrictive just like on the other 3.0L Duratec engines, the exhaust manifolds are VERY restrictive. We are still waiting to see what the gains are on a 3.0L Escape we are testing. Once those numbers come out, then all of us will have an idea as to how much HP to expect from our headers on the MAzda6.

Hopefully we will be able to develop some type of electronic device you can use to finely tune the air/fuel delivery, sort of like an APEXi S-AFC.

Nikolas

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Aren't both engines Duratec? If not, then the 3.0 is the one I"m in interested in...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

All of the 4 cylinder engines for the 6 are Mazda designed and built. The V-6 is a Ford Duratec block with some changes made by Mazda specifically for the 6.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

All of the 4 cylinder engines for the 6 are Mazda designed and built.  The V-6 is a Ford Duratec block with some changes made by Mazda specifically for the 6.[/b]
True, and the 4-cylinder engines are so good that Ford will replace their own 4-cylinder versions with them. Some sites on the Internet claims they will appear in the next generation Mondeos, just to take an example.

Mazda is Ford Motor Corp's center of excellence when it comes to 4-cylinder engines. Having had the chance to get familiar with Mazda's engine since 1988 through hundred thousands of miles, I can say only one thing: they build the best engines out there.

The new 2.3 engine is explosive as **** and it's torque curve is so flat that you feel like you're flying when you accelerate. Also, the sound of it is amazing and I'm quite sure it will be clocked much faster than the official numbers.

We don't get the V6 here, a shame actually because in my opinion that would be the choice of the customer, not of Mazda. But the 2.3 liter is not bad at all, and those who have tried out the 2.0 and 1.8 say that they are not far behind.

/Steve

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Did you test drive the 2.3l? How was the shifter feel? The clutch? Acceleration? Braking? Turn-in? Ride? Seat comfort?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Did you test drive the 2.3l?  How was the shifter feel?  The clutch?  Acceleration?  Braking?  Turn-in?  Ride?  Seat comfort?  [/b]
Ahhh...this car is amazing. The shifter is the finest I've ever tried. It's very smooth, and very short. Moving along geers is a very rapid process. The clutch is very Mazda if you know what I mean; it's easy manouvered, but it is more the clutch of a family sedan than of a sports car. Don't missunderstand me: it allows for very sporty driving, indeed...

The acceleration... Well, they talk about 8.9 (or something like that); but I had the feeling it was somewhere around 6.5-7. Perhaps they mean for us to experience more zoom-zoom by holding back the numbers a bit so the car outperforms what they told us. Anyway, the flat torque allows for a very smooth acceleration. And the engine roars nicely!

The car is very well balanced, it's almost incredible that this is a Mazda. It is very M3 like, although much more fun to drive! The comfort is great. The best in the class, I'm quite sure. This car will sell...

/Steve

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm curious, have you driven an M3? In fact, I might make a new topic, but it seems premature to do so since so few people have this car. What great cars have you driven, and how does the 6 compare to them? Very curious to know.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by MAZDAMAN

I'm curious, have you driven an M3?  In fact, I might make a new topic, but it seems premature to do so since so few people have this car.  What great cars have you driven, and how does the 6 compare to them?  Very curious to know.[/b]
Yes, I have driven an M3. As I said: a friend of mine has one. But I have driven many different cars. The mondeo, the Vectra, BMW:s, Mercedes, Jag, Rolls...I've even driven sports cars like lamborghini and Ferrari.

Mazda6 is better than all of them.

Now, before you start beating me up - let me explain myself.

Most cars focus on one particular area in which they go for superiority. Mercedes in comfort, Rolls in luxury, Lamborghini in speed/design.

Mazda chose another track. They went for a complete feeling, where you get it all. The 6 is feeling luxurious enough for a car twice the price. It has a great design. It has the handling of an M3 (or better); it is easier to drive (yet it has attitude). All that, and the price is right too.

This is why my conclusion that there is no way today to get better value for money spent than buying a Mazda6. When you try it out, you will stand up and do the wave and praise it like I do. It's simply worth it.

There are a few reviews out there that doesn't fully appreciate the 6. Those reporters have no clue as to what makes a car great.

The M3 is wonderful. You sit low, it has a great acceleration and feel. But the 6...it's funnier. You have more comfort. Better control. You see the road better, you feel it better...it's easier to drive than the BMW.

The MazdaSpeed will kick BMW's butt. Hardtime. No matter whether it produces the 5.5 secs in 0-62 or not...

/Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts

Steve6er,
I've decided that you must a Mazda ringer put here by King Carl XVI Gustaf himself (at least that's whom ask.com is saying is the head of state so my apologies if I am wrong).

Shall we analyze the facts as they are available?

1. You write excellent English. Therefore you must be educated and likely of the nobility.
2. You seem to have many friends with nice cars. Again, evidence of being an all around good guy with connections...likely part of a stately old family of Swedish nobility.
3. You also seem to have impeccable taste in cars...obviously loving Mazda. Of course, good taste and Swedes pretty much go together by default but again evidence of proper upbringing.

Therefore, I have obviously proven the fact that you have the bearing, upbringing and education to represent Sweden excellently here on Mazdaatenza.com. A perfect choice for King Carl XVI.

So, now I turn to my second hypothesis:

1. You have driven a Mazda6. For those of us stuck here in the good old US of A, this is direct evidence that you must have factory connections (we don't like to think that we are stuck getting the cars last).
2. You know a lot about cars. Thus, you must work in the car industry.
3. You know a lot about Mazda. Thus, you must work at Mazda.

Now, you might try to poke holes in this neatly tied up case of deductive reasoning (yes, you may call me Perry Mason) but remember, the stronger your denial, the greater the support for my arguments.

So, just admit that you are a Swedish noble who inherited Mazda of Sweden from his great uncle who won the franchise in a poker game with the Emperor Hirohito in 1922 while both were hunting lions in Kenya. You've put thru numerous improvements to the company, leading it to greatness and having Mazda of Sweden be a beacon of egality and brotherhood to the downtrodden masses heretofore forced to drive crappy cars like those butt ugly Citroens.

The King noticed your brilliant work and, in a drive to increase the greater reach of Mazda and bring greater glory to Mazda of Sweden (after all, the national pride of Saab is now owned by dirty Americans as is Volvo [hmmm...Mazda is also owned by those same stinking Yankees who own Volvo but let's overlook that minor detail) asked you to participate as much as you can here on these humble forums.

Well, for one, I thank you for your knowledgeable, witty and numerous postings. May you beat Kenoka to be the first to get to Post 200!!!
:luxhello:

MM

(obviously everybody in my house is asleep and there's nothing good on television tonight!)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by MightyMazda

Steve6er,
I've decided that you must a Mazda ringer put here by King Carl XVI Gustaf himself (at least that's whom  ask.com is saying is the head of state so my apologies if I am wrong).

Shall we analyze the facts as they are available?

1.  You write excellent English.  Therefore you must be educated and likely of the nobility.
2.  You seem to have many friends with nice cars.  Again, evidence of being an all around good guy with connections...likely part of a stately old family of Swedish nobility.
3.  You also seem to have impeccable taste in cars...obviously loving Mazda.  Of course, good taste and Swedes pretty much go together by default but again evidence of proper upbringing.

Therefore, I have obviously proven the fact that you have the bearing, upbringing and education to represent Sweden excellently here on Mazdaatenza.com.   A perfect choice for King Carl XVI.

So, now I turn to my second hypothesis:

1.  You have driven a Mazda6.  For those of us stuck here in the good old US of A, this is direct evidence that you must have factory connections (we don't like to think that we are stuck getting the cars last).
2.  You know a lot about cars. Thus, you must work in the car industry.
3.  You know a lot about Mazda.  Thus, you must work at Mazda.

Now, you might try to poke holes in this neatly tied up case of deductive reasoning (yes, you may call me Perry Mason) but remember, the stronger your denial, the greater the support for my arguments.  

So, just admit that you are a Swedish noble who inherited Mazda of Sweden from his great uncle who won the franchise in a poker game with the Emperor Hirohito in 1922 while both were hunting lions in Kenya.  You've put thru numerous improvements to the company, leading it to greatness and having Mazda of Sweden be a beacon of egality and brotherhood to the downtrodden masses heretofore forced to drive crappy cars like those butt ugly Citroens.  

The King noticed your brilliant work and, in a drive to increase the greater reach of Mazda  and bring greater glory to Mazda of Sweden (after all, the national pride of Saab is now owned by dirty Americans as is Volvo [hmmm...Mazda is also owned by those same stinking Yankees who own Volvo but let's overlook that minor detail) asked you to participate as much as you can here on these humble forums.

Well, for one, I thank you for your knowledgeable, witty and numerous postings.  May you beat Kenoka to be the first to get to Post 200!!!  
:luxhello:  

MM

(obviously everybody in my house is asleep and there's nothing good on television tonight!)[/b]
LOL...ehr...I mean: you're ofcourse absolutely right! (And I'm going to become king later, too...)

I will not try to unnestle your tidy arguments, but let me just say this: sir Arthur Conan Doyle would have been proud of you! (On the other hand, mr Occhams razor seems to have eluded you...somewhat...):)

As you put things so nicely I would not like to rip your case apart, but one little detail I have to give to you to embrace: Sweden is a monarchy, but the king has no power. He hasn't had in this century, actually. Sweden is one of the worlds oldest democracies, and the last time we went to war was 1809. (On the other hand, that was with Russia, we have faught many wars with those guys...won some, lost some...the last one we lost...). Anyway, you're right about one thing: our king is very interested in cars. He has an impressive garage...including many sports cars...

I am sorry to hear that everyone around you were asleep, and that there was nothing on TV. May I suggest a good book?

That is entertainment worthy of a king.

/Steve

PS. I blush here in my little chamber (I mean castle); for all those nice words you wrote - I humbly thank you.

PPS. I got to cut back on posting... :D

·
Registered
58 Posts

Sweden is a monarchy, but the king has no power.  [/b]
Actually, I should have said chief of state instead of head of state since, of course, there is the PM and Riksdag and the rest of the "real" government

However, who but a figurehead king would have time to worry about making sure that the inherited head of Mazda of Sweden (i.e. you) would participate on these boards!

Don't cut down on your posting!

Cheers,

MM

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by MightyMazda

However, who but a figurehead king would have time to worry about making sure that the inherited head of Mazda of Sweden (i.e. you) would participate on these boards!

Don't cut down on your posting!

Cheers,

MM[/b]
True, our prime minister is busy (since election day is close - we have election every fourth year when we elect the delegates to our Riksdag (349 people); and to our local and regional parlaments also).

In the 16-th century, Sweden was a superpower. Ahh, I miss those days...;)

I did cut back on posting. Can't you tell??

:D

/Steve

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

It's not that he's royalty, Sweden's education system is far superior to the American one, so they have lots of people who are bilingual.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Sheesh, you go away for a couple of days and look what happens. Steve, MM, whatever you've been smoking the last couple of days, I hope you have enough for everyone!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Sheesh, you go away for a couple of days and look what happens.  Steve, MM, whatever you've been smoking the last couple of days, I hope you have enough for everyone!  [/b]
Well...it ain't nothin' no pill can cure - that's for sure! :D
See...you should never go away. Bad Kenoka!

Hope you enjoyed your 30th birthday! Did you get any nice presents? Any cars? Presumably Mazdas????

LOL
/Steve

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

:hoho :hoho I can just imagine waking up to a nice 6 in my driveway with a pretty ribbon on it! But since that can't happen, any car as a present right now would be a disappointment. Uh, your highness.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

:hoho :hoho I can just imagine waking up to a nice 6 in my driveway with a pretty ribbon on it!  But since that can't happen, any car as a present right now would be a disappointment.  Uh, your highness.  [/b]
Well, I am just as royal as you have a Mazda6 on your driveway...but sometimes I can be a royal pain in the ***. Some dealers have brought that side of me out over the years... No car dealers yet, though. And I stick to my Mazda dealer. He's not perfect, but he'll do.

Sorry you didn't get a Mazda. But hey - if you want a really nice present, you have to buy it yourself!

/Steve

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

That's the plan!  [/b]
That's my kind of plan. I'm gonna think of that plan while I drive in my 6 later this year...

And I mean that nicely. Very. For sure.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts