Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just posting here so that I can post in a different thread.

I own a 2018 CX-9, and I wrote a DIY guide for installing an aftermarket oil catch can back in August 2018. I just wanted to share it here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it seems I'll need to make a bunch of useless posts if I want to post a direct link, so... If any 2018 6 owners with the 2.5T are looking for a DIY, hop on Google and do a search for "mazda cx-9 oil catch can installation". My DIY is the first one that pops up. Hope that helps.

Additionally, I'd appreciate it if someone could post a reference to this post in this thread:

Mazda 6 3rd Generation (2013-Present) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.5L Turbo I-4 > Oil Catch Can for 2.5t

·
Registered
585 Posts
Anyone here have installed an oil catch can? I've read that it helps to keep up with the carbon build up.

I just wonder why the design engineer didn't add this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Auto makers are reluctant to install catch cans because it's a regular maintenance item, and people don't expect or want to have to do much more than oil changes every few months. Beyond that, I gather they can freeze up in cold weather, and need to be drained more often, both potential headaches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone here have installed an oil catch can? I've read that it helps to keep up with the carbon build up.

I just wonder why the design engineer didn't add this.
I installed one recently and I catch about 1-2 ounces of oil/water per week or so. I’m planning to add a valve to drain it easier. I installed this to prevent extra carbon build. Mazda engineers did put in an oil separator before the pcv on 3rd gens however this definitely does not get everything because I am still collecting fluid in the catch can.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, it seems I'll need to make a bunch of useless posts if I want to post a direct link, so... If any 2018 6 owners with the 2.5T are looking for a DIY, hop on Google and do a search for "mazda cx-9 oil catch can installation". My DIY is the first one that pops up. Hope that helps.

Additionally, I'd appreciate it if someone could post a reference to this post in this thread:

Mazda 6 3rd Generation (2013-Present) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.5L Turbo I-4 > Oil Catch Can for 2.5t
sm1ke, I cannot seem to find your How To, under "mazda cx-9 oil catch can installation" - on Google. Otherwise, I would post the link as you requested.

??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sm1ke, I cannot seem to find your How To, under "mazda cx-9 oil catch can installation" - on Google. Otherwise, I would post the link as you requested.

??
The link that Archerfish posted is the correct one.

Just a note regarding the oil catch can that I used in my installation. It was the cheapest one available at the time, and I found out when I got it that it didn't come with an internal bronze micron filter. I used it anyway, and my catch can doesn't seem to be catching much of anything (aside from a light film on the inside of the can). Others have had success catching blow-by, but they were using catch cans that had the micron filters installed. I ordered some stainless steel micron filter sheets and I'll be installing them in the catch can to confirm that a micron filter is required, but in the meantime, if you buy a catch can, I recommend that you get one that already includes the filter.

I'll update the linked thread when the filters come in (it may take a while).

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Cdn17Sport6MT
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing