Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would take the time to start a new topic that most don't think about. I am currently in Brazil on Business and I can't stress enough how lucky we are in North America. I have been here for 4 days and I miss my Speed. Down here, the largest engine size I have seen is 2.0. The cars are all small with small motors, wheels, and such. They aren't big on performance, rims, or size. I have only seen one car with an automatic. Just thought it would be interesting to point out how good we have it in the U.S. and Canada.

·
Registered
298 Posts
In brasil, you don't need a big car. Most brasilians don't make that much and the bus is cheap! Their budget on roads is a fraction of what it is here in the US. They have an excellent bus system in place. Here in the states you wait hours for a bus. Plus the price of gas is like 4x what it is here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't get me wrong, I think Brazil is nice. I have noticed when you do the conversion that most prices here are close to that of Harrisburg, Pa where I am from. The cost of living is higher here when compared to what they make. Cars are small and economical due to the taxing system. They tell me you pay tax on the value of the vehicle each year. Fuel is not any more than it is in the US at this moment. The cars are economical in an effort to keep repair and maintenace cost down. Thirteen inch tires cost less than sixteen inch tires as an example. The roads are in rougher shape than ours as well. I guess I just miss the sound, feel, and look of my Speed while driving around the states.

·
Registered
297 Posts
And I love Brazil's idea to switch to methanol (or is it ethanol) which they produce from sugar cane. They are actually autonomous on fuel (they don't import any oil.. they actually are a net exporter)

I wonder if Canada could do something similar, with all the land we have here, make fuel out of a crop. If a good part of the world did that, it would ease the dependancy on middle-East oil.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if you think cars suck in south america you should travel to south asia or the horn of africa. i've travelled all over the world and it's made me glad to return the states.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think Brazil is nice. I have noticed when you do the conversion that most prices here are close to that of Harrisburg, Pa where I am from. The cost of living is higher here when compared to what they make. Cars are small and economical due to the taxing system. They tell me you pay tax on the value of the vehicle each year. Fuel is not any more than it is in the US at this moment. The cars are economical in an effort to keep repair and maintenace cost down. Thirteen inch tires cost less than sixteen inch tires as an example. The roads are in rougher shape than ours as well. I guess I just miss the sound, feel, and look of my Speed while driving around the states.
[/b]
I'll miss my speed when I goto Brasil next year too. :drive:

Where exactly are you in Brasil?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have only seen one car with an automatic.
[/b]
You made it sound like this was a bad thing.

I hate autos. You can take away my manual when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I hear the gas is like $.50/gallon there. Do me a favor and bring back a tanker or two :)

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
jsehlms
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing