Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thought I'd introduce myself to the community. I posted a few threads before discussing how the seatback was killing my neck (SOLVED...I just pulled it out and reversed it! Hope I don't get rearended TOO hard!) and a question about the keyless system, which, thanks to you guys' help and rereading the owners' manual, I've (mostly) figured out.

OK, my background in cars...I get a new one about every two years. It's an addiction. In the past I've owned a Mitsu 3000 GT VR4, a BMW Z3, an Acura TL Type S, and Eclipse 4-wheel drive turbo, a 2003 Corvette, a SRT-4, an Acura TSX and the car I traded in for the 6S was a 2004 Pontiac GTO.

My requirements for a car--lots of power, uniqueness--hate to see myself coming and going--sporty and reasonably priced.

I LOVED my GTO. Superb build quality, beautiful interior, brutal power, but...1) I never averaged more than 15 mpg on a tank of premium, and 2) despite the car's quality and power, it just wasn't a lot of FUN. Steering was heavy, suspension, while fairly compliant for this type of car, was still pretty stiff, the gas milage sucked, the steering was heavy and the clutch...I have to laugh when I read complaints about the MS6's clutch being heavy...lol...drive a GTO!!

So I've been on a new car search for a while...TL too boring and front-wheel drive; Evo MR too expensive Infiniti G35 too much a luxury sedan instead of a sports sedan; BMWs too expensive (and common); upcoming SRT Caliber uglier than a turd in a punchbowl; MS3 a poor man's EVO or Sti--I'd rather have the real thing...Subaru Legacy GT Limited was the same price (25K for a new 2006 after rebates) but just too plain looking....etc., etc., etc. Nothing seemed to satify my requirements.

I had read about the MS6 in the usual car mags, but I didn't give them a lot of thought...I'd never owned a Mazda and didn't think or know a lot about them...some of the reviews were less than stellar...and since I was driving a GTO with a 350HP Corvette engine, I laughed at the thought of a turbo 4 buzzbox motivating an equally weighted car, give or take 200 lbs.

Then, for the first time about 3 weeks ago, I SAW my first MS6 in person. I went "damn...what is that?" My first thought was a Lexus IS300...I chased this car down and saw the MS6 logo on the decklid and started researching this car in serious.

I had decided not to go for it after doing a lot of research here and at other Mazda forums due to the powerloss issue, and particularly after I had read that some people were experiencing power loss after the reflash. I had test driven one and was really impressed by the performance but didn't want to be one of the unlucky ones ending up with this issue...plus, in the entire state of WA (I'm in Seattle) there were about 8 to 10 in the state and they were all either silver or black. I wanted the red or black cherry. So I basically gave up on the idea for a while, until "new car fever" reached a boiling point a week ago.

I went to ANOTHER (3rd) Mazda dealership in Seattle and the salesperson actually took the time to check in OR, where he located a Black Cherry with sunroof, chromed gas cap, wind deflector, Sirius (gotta have Howard) and auto dimming mirror. The car had NOT been reflashed, having a manufactured date of Feb 06.

I decided to take the chance. Friday I put the deal together and a lot boy took off to OR with a regular 3 that he was trading for the 6S. On Saturday morning I got the call it was here. I went to the dealership; went through the walkthrough deal, and then drove about 3 blocks to a tire store where I had 5-spoke chromes installed; next will be the window tinting, and then possibly Mazda aftermarket CAI and catback. (Are these good products?)

The tech guy reflased my car Saturday morning before I picked it up. I did not notice ANY difference between the unflashed car I had taken for a test drive several weeks before and my new one. NONE. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH THIS CAR!!!

The acceleration is breathtaking. Turbo lag, while there, is minimal. The engine, on acceleration, sounds like silk being ripped. The clutch is so ridiculously light after the GTO that I laughed; it felt like operating a toy. The shifts are fast and precise (and I actually LIKE the long take-up--it challenges you to be a better driver!)
I love the amenities that the GTO did not have--sunroof, heated seats, 4-wheel drive, Sirius integrated with the stereo system ( had an aftermarket kit added); a better sounding stereo, and most of all, I've driven it all of 40 miles and the gas needle has barely moved!! In the GTO, I would have burned a 1/4 of a tank!

But most of all I love the suspension. The 6 reaches a beautiful compromise between handling and comfort. It feels solid as a bank vault and completely unflappable. Potholes that threw my GTO into a ditch are beautifully dampened with the 6 with no jarring or loss of control.

This car seems EXCEPTIONALLY WELL BUILT; HANDLES LIKE IT'S ON RAILS; IS VERY HANDSOME TO MY EYE, UNIQUE & UNUSUAL, HAS TONS OF LUXURY FEATURES, SHIFTS LIKE BUTTAH, GETS GOOD GAS MILEAGE, AND BEST OF ALL, HAS THE POWER TO PIN MY ASS IN THE SEAT!! PLUS, THE COMBINATION OF BLACK CHERRY PEARL, CHROMED WHEELS AND TINTED WINDOWS MAKES IT ONE OF THE BEST LOOKING CARS ON THE ROAD!!!

If you can't tell I'm in love, I've probably lost you by now.

Sure, I have some complaints...the carpet is thin and cheap; the dash material won't threaten Audis; the seats should have far more lateral bolstering for a car of this type, and I have read that the paint is very thin and nicks/chips easily...and I REALLY dislike the huge gap between the wheelwell and the tires...it detracts significantly from the car's appearance...is this because of the 4-whee; drive setup??--but for 25.8, this car is a SCREAMING BARGAIN and one I hope to enjoy for years to come.

And all of this with only 40 miles driven! Can't wait to break her in, experience even more power and better gas milage!

I have to thank you guys for all of the information I learned about this car before buying it, including the reflash and the fact that you have to go back to the dealer to get the key card reflashed for the "auto lock" feature when you walk away from the car instead of hitting the button. You've been an invaluable source of information, and in closing...for all of the diss remarks I've read in this fourm about this amazing car....BITE ME!!! AHAHAHA!!!

·
Registered
795 Posts
damn, long intro man but i cant believe i read it all, haha... anyways welcome to the club there's lots of good info on here! post a pic of your speed6 also...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Welcome to the club. Nice color choice and great car. You may want to consider adding your location in your sig. That's easy to do and free. As for modding...it's usually easy but, unfortunately, rarely free. :D

Enjoy! :drive:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
find a place to get some 100 octane race gas. it really improves the cars performance and it is worth purchasing a tank to see what the car should feel like.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I myself look for threads like this. It really stinks when people that own the car find sh1t to complain about. Granted, there are things that could have been better but i wont bother getting into the debate over them and im very happy that you chose not to. Instead, you wrote what i feel every day. I love this car and although im not as fortunate as you are regarding past cars, i have had a few powerful ones in my day, most recently a 300-horse 5.0. As most Mustang owners know, these cars are just brutally powerfull. It seems unconventional at the least but to satisfy that hunger i bought a 4cyl RiceBurner??? YUP, and i've loved every second of that impressive power band EVERY TIME i've mashed the pedal. The car is perfect and oh yeah i forgot to mention, plenty of room for the car seat!!

PS- im dying to see some pics....I wasnt a black-cherry fan but you made it sound pretty sweet...so bring'em on!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Glad you find and like the Mazda and I believe the 6 MPS particularly is missing buyers like you who are into performance level cars but due to the unknown quality of its name, so got turn off without even taking a spin on it. So at the end never give a thought about it and could miss out on what type of performance this car offers that you have just found.

As to the gap between the wheelwell, you can always change the springs to lower it like some of us done here and have no detrimental effect but good outcome.

Congrat and love to see pics especially once you got the new aftermarket wheels on.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The MS6 is slllloooooowllyyy building steam. The car had a tough release but I think people are starting to realize its a great car!

Welcome and glad you like it!
It's nice to hear the happy buyers!

I think the newer MS6's have a lighter clutch than the first ones. Mine (before I adjusted it) had a SUPER HEAVY LUMPY clutch, however the model on the floor at a recent auto show had a nice smooth clutch.

As for the power, I'm glad it can make a former GTO owner smile!

May the "newness" never wear.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that you like the car. also glad that people are finally taking note of our beautiful car [slap to mazda for not advertising the MS6 and advertising the Cx-7] and don't worry about powerlosses or such. With all cars there are lemons, and those lemons are few and far. Most people worry more because honestly, people only post when theres something wrong, you will not find a post with the title "everythings going great" very often. So enjoy the car, and don't worry about small troubles.

Post some pics please?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I'll get pics up as soon as it stops SNOWING in Seattle! Pretty rare for us.

The Sirius was built in to the radio system. Pretty sweet. I had an aftermarket unit in the GTO and it worked fine, but appearance-wise, it's so much nicer to have it integrated in to the main system.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome aboard. This is a great forum and you'll continue to find the dialogue interesting. It is always nice to add another experienced performance car enthusiast. There are many knowledgable people who post here. Sounds like you'll make it many plus one.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Welcome, thanks for the thoughtful, detailed and extensive post! Most here would agree with everything you said, just beware of the trolls, and please don't feed them :) Unfortunately I find myself occasionally doing just that :swearin:

cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome aboard. This is a great forum and you'll continue to find the dialogue interesting. It is always nice to add another experienced performance car enthusiast. There are many knowledgable people who post here. Sounds like you'll make it many plus one.
[/b]
Thanks bud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts