Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mazda6 owners. I am an RX-8 owner whose lease runs out in June, and am considering switching to a 6s or the Speed6. I've had 2.5 great years with the 8...it is the best handling car I've ever driven, looks great and the short shifter is excellent. But ultimately, the cons outweighed the pros for me. My biggest issues with the 8 were, in order,

1. lack of torque/power at low rpms
2. lack of space in backseats/trunk
3. gas mileage
4. rotary issues - flooding and recalls
5. lousy in the snow
6. resale value lousy

I'm hoping someone can compare the 6/SP6 to these pros and cons. I've test driven both, and am satisfied with their performance...I guess specific questions would include driveability in the snow (I live in MI), reliability, recalls, build quality, or other issues specific to the 6. Appreciate the help, thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Its too late and I'm procrastinating on homework so I'll take a few brief moments to talk to you.

Basically, choosing between a 6s and a speed6 relies on two things. Performance, and economy. The two share an almost identical comfort. However, the Speed6 is more powerful being an AWD turboed 4 liter. 270 hp w/ 280 torque. So if you want performance, go with a speed6. That being said, the speed6 is also economical. However, the 6s is more economical as it doesn't require premium fuel. But however, it is a less powerful car, with 220 hp and [something tell me how much torque it has] w/ a v6.

Now to answer your questions about snow driveability, reliability, recalls, and all that jazz.

To my knowledge, there are a few TSB's out for the cars, but no recalls, except for maybe reflash for the speed 6. Reflash is debatable, some say that they get a LOP from the reflash, others say that the reflash does nothing and makes your car more reliable. I personally don't know. In addiiton, the speed6 is better at snow, because it has AWD. however, that says nothing unless you get good tires. The speed 6 comes with summers, so you'll have to invest in all seasons or dedicated winters with the speed 6. I believe that the 6s comes with...all-seasons? correct me if I'm wrong. In addition, both are extremely reliable cars.

Some may disagree, but unless you don't want a speed 6, don't want to pay for premium gas, or just don't want to pay for a speed6, then get a 6s. If you said no to all 3, get a speed 6.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's hard to say reading input from the forums but it seems to me that the speed6 has a few more issues than the 6s.

Overall I'd go with the 6s [you say you are happy with the performance of both].

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. What I love bout the Speed6 is the power in midrange acceleration...in the RX-8 you'd ultimately have to downshift and bring the revs up to crazy levels to get anywhere. Off the line acceleration was bad too, you'd have to drop the clutch at ~8000 rpms to achieve the 6sec 0-60s that the magazines get, and I don't like destroying clutches. I'm trying to balance out spending the ~3-4k more with longer lifetime costs (snow tires, replacing summer tires, etc). Has anyone gotten a 6s and regretted it over time for a Speed6? How is the resale value for both, do they retain their worth well? Thanks,

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I love my 6s. I would have gotten a Speed6 if I could have found a good deal on one. But the lowest I could find at the time was $27k. Seeing at how I got my car for under $20 I'm very happy with my purchase.

The resale isn't that good on any Mazda vehicles. Some dealerships are having problems moving the Speed6 off the lots, so you can get very good deals on them. If you can't find any deals, then I would also cross shop the Evo and STI. Even the WRX and Legacy GT. Also, the Speed3 offers good performance for the price.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The 6s has 192 lb/ft torque, 0-60 mph in 7 seconds (stock)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If you have a problem with tq on the RX8, get a speed6 over the 6s.

Per your requirements, a speed6 and 6s sedan are pretty identical with the interior.
Speed6 has much better hp/tq
Speed6 is better in the snow with AWD vs open differential FWD.
Gas mileage/economical the 6s goes on 87 whereas the Speed6 requires premium.
Resale: Both are not very good. Considering dealers are having trouble moving both of them, if you shop at the right time you should be able to get a 6s or Speed6 for under invoice. The resale problem can be neutraled out if you get it under invoice IMO.

Overall, if you want a MTX, get a speed6 over a 6s.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i was quoted for a base model speed 6 at $24k brand new. That was without any negotiation either and about 4 months ago. Ill have mine sooner or later.[/b]
If this was for a sport model, then no.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The 6s has 192 lb/ft torque, 0-60 mph in 7 seconds (stock)[/b]
6.5 (C&D 03-05)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
6.5 is not bad at all. One last question, someone mentioned buying snow tires. Does anyone think the Speed6 can get away with the summer tires on 4wd? Or is that too hazadous? Has anyone done it so far this winter?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
6.5 is not bad at all. One last question, someone mentioned buying snow tires. Does anyone think the Speed6 can get away with the summer tires on 4wd? Or is that too hazadous? Has anyone done it so far this winter?[/b]
speed6 all the way. i've had both and it's no comparison.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i love my 5-door 6s, too.

but if i had the chance to change cars right now, i might *seriously* consider a mazdaspeed3. the mazdaspeed3 comes with some features that a mazdaspeed6 doesn't have, the best of which i believe to be the driver and front passenger seats - they are serious in their form and function. plus, the mazdaspeed3 has the room to haul peeps and junk.

i'd pass on the mazdaspeed6 *only* because i need the flexibility of a hatchback that a mazdaspeed3 can offer.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the input. What I love bout the Speed6 is the power in midrange acceleration...in the RX-8 you'd ultimately have to downshift and bring the revs up to crazy levels to get anywhere. Off the line acceleration was bad too, you'd have to drop the clutch at ~8000 rpms to achieve the 6sec 0-60s that the magazines get, and I don't like destroying clutches. I'm trying to balance out spending the ~3-4k more with longer lifetime costs (snow tires, replacing summer tires, etc). Has anyone gotten a 6s and regretted it over time for a Speed6? How is the resale value for both, do they retain their worth well? Thanks,[/b]
I used to have an 05 6s mtx and was in love with it. However, the insane rebates drew in me in for a Speed6 test drive. After driving the 6s back home, it was a no brainer. Not exactly the smartest financial decision, but I was well within my budget and it still came out to be a terrific deal.

If you're interested in off the line acceleration, it stomps the RX-8. Conversely, the high end is somewhat lacking although the aftermarket is solving that issue. 6th gear pulls great on the highways and there's no need to downshift. Handling will feel fatter than your old car, but still no complaints there. Braking is phenomenal.

With regards to ownership costs, I believe the MS6 has just *slightly* better resale than a 6s due to the limited production but Mazda's overall resale value is still nothing to write home about. The stock summer tires seem to last an average of 15k miles and don't even think about taking them in the snow. I seem to average 21 mpg for an even mix of city/highway and fun/granny driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for everyone's input...I'm going to check both in greater detail but I think I'm leaning more towards the Speed6. Illini_ms6, you drive an RX-8 as your winter car? The snow tires aren't compatible between the cars by any chance? ~trying to salvage these winters I already have.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input...I'm going to check both in greater detail but I think I'm leaning more towards the Speed6. Illini_ms6, you drive an RX-8 as your winter car? The snow tires aren't compatible between the cars by any chance? ~trying to salvage these winters I already have.[/b]
Nah, I just used a cheap set of RX-8 wheels to mount my winter tires on. Lots of Speed owners prefer the look of RX-8 wheels over the stockers so they are a popular replacement choice that fits. I still slightly prefer the look of the stock 15 spokes though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts