Mazda 6 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
hey great write up man thanks alot. but i have a quick question. i have the bose system and im planning on replacing all the speakers and driving them with an aftermarket hu. instead of running all new wire, couldn't i just connect the hu to the metra plug as usual (like in a non-bose system with all the speaker connections behind the dash), then go down to the factory bose amp and just bypass it? like cut all the wires on the input and output sides, and bridge them so the signal goes straight from the hu to the speakers?

oh and how hard is it gonna be to get to the bose amp? will i need to pull the passenger seat? theres only one connector on it right?

·
Registered
84 Posts
hey new here, so sorry if this is a stupid question, how do i know if my system is bose? it doesnt say bose on the speakers... i just bought this car today :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
what about just switching the head unit and speakers for the non boss system ? just rewire the new unit and speakers to the existing set-up ?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
you could do that...you would need the metra kit probably (unless you put it in the glove box or map compartment) id also get a 4 ch amp to run the speakers for a nicer crisper sound.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes.. Ive been reading threw this thread for the past hour or so (plus other times just browsing) Well, like everyone else says.. Bose sucks. I have a 2003 with Bose and in the past i was good friends with some guys at audio express. They did the whole wiring and everything for free. I had a 1000w (used) Alpine amp and i had 1 12"Sony explode. From what ive seen they ran a line out adapter from the Bose HU. From there all the way back to the sub. The sub and amp ran for literally 10mins. The sub locked up and the amp got fried. :/..
Well... Im still not satisfied with the stock Bose.. Now my question is what went wrong with all of this? As well as what should I look into saving up for to ultimately upgrade or in other-words DE-Bose. I wana keep the stock look of the Bose HU but if it comes down to sound vs looks..
Sorry if this comes across as a novice post but ive been trying to figure out where to start and this thread seemed like the right place?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
what ive been told is that the bose headunit is a solid headunit and that you should get an aftermarket headunit if you have the nonbose system. i have the nonbose system so i went completely aftermarket.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Minor corrections and updates

I have a 2003 mazda 6 with the Bose system in it. I had originally installed a double din kenwood using the metra kit and modifying it. I was never able to get the LCD to correctly display my a/c info, so eventually I changed my setup back to factory and installed a touchscreen unit in my map compartment. My system was stolen and I was forced to reconnect my Bose system. When I had installed my touchscreen setup, the Alpine hub unit was mounted underneath my passenger seat so I took out my Bose amp.
I don't remember where I placed it so the other day I was forced to reconnect the factory radio to the Bose speakers without the amp. I did some research and this is what I found out. The factory Matsusita unit uses a Toshiba bipolar linear I/C amp part number TA8263BH. 43 W x 4. You can google it and look up the datasheet very easily. I was able to use directwire and Mitchell on demand to match up the head unit outputs with the Bose speaker inputs, and it works just fine.
A couple of things: I did and impedance test on all speakers since they claim to be 2ohms. 3 of the 4 speakers read 3.xohms, and the rear driver read 2.xohms. The head units I/C amp is a 4ohm rated chip. I have been playing it for over a week now and its working fine. I haven't turned up it too loud becuase I believe it would overdrive the decks amp and possible damage it. The sound isn't bad. It's not great either. The Bose amp does sound better than my current setup. It's just some sound to get me by until I do my complete system rebuild.
I did not try to connect the subwoofer and I'm not going to. From what I can gather, the outputs of the decks I/C amp are not true pre-amp outs but speaker outputs, and the inputs to the factory Bose amp are high level inputs (speaker inputs) vs low level inputs (rca). I've been professionally doing car audio for 16 years now, and I'm not saying that my findings are 100% correct or the final say, but I feel it's safe to say that you can connect your factory deck directly to your Bose speakers.... just don't crank up the volume... if you do there's a good chance you'll burn the decks I/C amp.

Turns out that the replacement radio I bought on ebay was non-bose. I found out weeks after I installed it only when I tried to load more than one cd. The lcd would only say "hello instead of "bose but it didn't dawn on me. ..... So that would explain why I found regular speaker outs at the head unit (high level outputs). So.... I personally have not confirmed it but from all the other users posts the bose radio has pre-amp outputs (low level). These are not meant to drive speakers. Nevertheless, you can run the bose speakers without an amp, using the non bose radio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are several brands that make 2 ohm speakers, and while they can be used, I wouldn't reccomend replacing just the speakers with no intention of ever replacing the bose amp. The eq applied is specifically tailored to the craptastic paper cone speakers that they use. These speakers are much less efficient than any set of aftermarket 2 ohm speakers will be. Although replacing them should result in what might be percieved as "better sound" the only way to get good sound is to replace both the amp and the speakers to get rid of the eq.

Like I said, the eq is specific for the bose amp and speakers, replacing either piece alone, although will be percieved as better, is less than optimal.
Ok... embarrassing noob moment where I didn't bother to really search before posting in another thread...

So the real question is if I can use the same wiring from the head unit to the amp and replacement speakers? Also, could I keep the sub as well? If I don't have to replace it, I'd like to keep it.

I'm a reasonably mechanically inclined person in the IT field, but I have not messed with much car audio short of some simple speaker swaps. I also don't have a soldering iron or an enclosed garage to work on the car, so anything I do is going to be a chilly experience.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I want to replace every thing head unit speakers and put in 2 amps can it be done????

Hi Guys
I am new here, I posted a few questions about installing a after Market head unit.
No one posted a link on any good Threads so I thought I would try here
I have spend at least 4 to 5 reading threads but I still cant find answers for these questions.

Question 1.
I want to replace the Bose Head unit with a Alpine CDA-117e, I know this can be done but can it only be done with the metra kit???????????????????

Question 2.
I want to replace all speakers with other ones and I want to replace the bose
amp under the seat with another 1200w amp and I also want to put another amp either under the driver seat or in the boot to drive 4 of the speakers.
Can I use two amps in this car???

Question 3
If I replace the head unit and the amps and the speakers will I lose my air con functions and displays like a few peps have said????

Question 4.
How long will it take to remove bose amps, speakers, and headunit roughly?? 1 hour?? or 2 hours??

Question 5.
Any tips or tricks for this job???

Question 6.
Has any one entered a soundoff comp to test what DB rating they get???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just want to say something for everybody saying the Metra kit (03-05) is $150+...crutchfield.com had it for $199.99 BUT its 50% off when you buy any aftermarket head unit so in the end it works out to be considerably cheaper....and as well they usually have solid deals on the decks to begin with

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hate to be the one to bring something back from the dead. But I can't for the life of me figure this out:

On the other hand, this also allows you to easily integrate an aftermarket deck using it's preamp (rather than speaker) outputs. So you can run the Bose system off of a different head unit. Research shows that the signal processing for the Bose system is actually performed in the amplifier. So the system should perform identically even if you replace the head unit.

To do this, it's as easy as soldering on 4 male RCA plugs to the "speaker" wires in the Metra harness. The negative "speaker" wire should be soldered to the pole on the plug that connects to the ring. The positive "speaker" wire should be soldered to the pole on the plug that connects to the post. Once you've done this for the FR, FL, RR and LR "speaker" wires, all you have to do is plug in your front and rear RCA jacks from your head unit and all should work well.
Maybe I'm just over thinking it?

Here's a picture of a basic male rca plug, what I'm picturing when I'm reading the instructions up top. Someone car to explain more in depth where the "speaker" wires are being soldered onto the rca cables?

Is the outcome similar to this?

Help! I feel like an idiot lol. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Dave's description is refering to when you buy only the end plug of the RCA. When you twist it open you will see two area's to solder new wires to. The pole for the ring would be your negative and the pole for the post would be the positive.

You won't see it unless you open the end plug of the RCA. When you just cut pre-made RCA's to solder your wires to, you need to first figure out which wire is positive and which is negative, usually you can tell just by the colors, but if you physically open the end, you will see what he was talking about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quick question.. I have an 03 Mazda6 with Bose and looking to change the appearance of the radio area some. I am curious to see if the 06-08 radio would work with my Bose system, with the radio itself not being Bose. Basically, is it going to sound like crap or is that mostly when going from non-Bose car to Bose radio? Would I need to solder the RCA cables to make it work? Looking at this..
MAZDA 6 RADIO AM FM CD DISC CLIMATE MEDIA SAT CONTROLS | eBay

Edited: Found a thread that referred directly to my question :) http://forum.mazda6club.com/car-electronics/255512-swap-06-08-radio-into-03-05-mazda-6-a.html

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You need to swap a Bose hu with a Bose hu and swap a non-Bose with a non-Bose.

·
Registered
74 Posts
so i lost my wiring harness that came with the metra kit to hookup an aftermarket headunit and install an amp and sub. i used to have a system but then i sold it and now i'm trying to put another one in, but i lost the wiring harness to connect my HU to the factory wires.

can someone walk me through how i can hookup the HU without the harness? thank you!!!!

141 - 160 of 184 Posts