Mazda 6 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
QUOTE (lacuna @ Aug 5 2009, 08:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1588958
If your head unit allows you to set the voltage to each preamp, turn the bose speakers down, and the subs up.[/b]

My HU has IMPRINT so all i can do is set the treble from 10.0 12.5 15.0 and 17.5 i think. On Bass its settings are 60hz 80 100 and 200, is that what you are talking about cause that and a 1-7 eq is all that i can change on my Alpine 9884.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, thanks for this diagram really great job, not all the people helps like thet. well i have another question and i´m sure you can help me with this too, my brothers own a mazda 3 2007 that car have the non-bose sound system, we bought the bose system at ebay.com which includes amplifier, subwoofer, 4 speakers and 2 tweeters, i think we must change the head unit for the bose one wich is designed for that system and have different sound signal to match the amp, but here is my trouble, how do i connect that bose head unit? how the amp will deliver the power to the speakers? and do i need anything elese? i noticed some wires under the drivers seat can be usefull to turn on the system? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has anyone put the metra kit on an 08? the Website says it only fits 06-07, but Metra says it should work with an 08.

Im also interested if anyone has anypictures of their Metra kit in an 08? I want to see if the Metra kit matches the black dash/center console.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I finished the Install of the Metra Kit yesterday, and overall Im very glad the factory unit is gone.

However there were several downsides of the Metra Kit:
1. The fitment of the HVAC controls are horrible and it does not sit entirely flush.
2. The buttons don't "click" like the factory dash did.
3. The LED Colors on the flow-through/recirculate air button (center button) are swapped.
4. The LED's for the Metra are closer to Orange than factory red.
5. Most noticeably though, the Color IS NOT OEM. Maybe it matches the 06-07, but the 08 has black and Light grey dash, and the Metra is a mix between the two.
6. and Finally the finish is rough and unpolished.

Also, I ignored the instructions for mounting the metal case in the kit. I hated how the unit would be countersunk in the dash, I preferred it to be flush with the dash so I toyed with the wire casing and the metal tabs until I got just the right fitment.
Then I threw out the "Trim" piece that Metra included.

There was aslo a LOT of soldering involved.

Reactions: danbfree

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (maztamind @ Dec 31 2009, 06:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1626488
how can you tell which factory system (Bose, Standard) you have? i want to upgrade my stereo but dont know which one i have?[/b]
The standard audio sounds like a ten-dollar transistor radio. The Bose system sounds rich, and has a subwoofer, two tweeters, and the four regular door-mounted speakers. Maybe you need to get your hearing checked...

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (21drfrank @ Jan 1 2010, 10:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1626579
The standard audio sounds like a ten-dollar transistor radio. The Bose system sounds rich, and has a subwoofer, two tweeters, and the four regular door-mounted speakers. Maybe you need to get your hearing checked...[/b]
lol yea maybe. sorry only had the car for a couple months. well what confused me is it has no sub but it has the tweeters.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where is the subwoofer for the Bose system located? I'm 99% sure I don't have it but just want to be sure. My previous car was a 1991 Volvo so "ten dollar transistor radio" quality would be relevant to what you're used to. Anything sounds amazing when you're used to listening to a crappy system.

By the way, I've been looking through this and other car audio threads for the past half hour or so, trying to sift through all the information. I definitely wish you could just put in an aftermarket HU without spending 150 bucks on a Metra harness which is apparently a piece of crap.

One question though, and I apoligize if this has been asked and answered already and I missed it. If I indeed have the non-bose system, can I hook up my subs to the factory deck? Even if I need to purchase a wiring converter or whatever I'm willing to do that- I just want to avoid having to go through all the pain of making the Metra harness work. Thanks..

·
Registered
6 Posts
greetings dave and the mazda 6 club, im new to this forum and im a proud new owner of a '04 mazda 6!!!, im transfering my system from my old car & i came across your thread for the wiring diagram for the bose system but i didnt see one for the non-bose (is it the same?), i was wondering if you or anyone can point me to the right direction for this info...thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
First post, download the PDF. Top image is for the non-bose HU.

Welcome

·
Registered
6 Posts
i actually have a question that i should be ashamed to ask being im a dj and have played with wires for about 15yrs.... what is more preffered to use for connecting back wires i cut as opposed to using black tape (kinda tacky, lol) that'll probably melt during the summer, i think i know how they look i just dont know the name or term for them.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
If you want to use the aftermarket Deck to run some aftermarket door speakers, you're going to have to either make up an amplifier bypass harness using the diagrams I made, or run new wiring into the doors. Kinda a pain in the ass, but until there is an amplifier bypass harness made, it is your only choice.

I think that covers the basics of using the Metra kit with both systems. Let me know if anyone has questions or corrections.
Dont know why i didnt think to post this before...

You can use this to mod the factory plug into something a little more manageable with plugs that are more readily available for PnP ease. You can also use the 2 straight pin trick to remove the pins...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good write up but i have some more ?'s..i have posted before on this issue but here we go again lol...maybe you can help...My left side speakers cut out after about 10 min of listening to my cd player (dosnt do it when i listen to the radio)..so i was gona just replace the whole unit with an after market using the metra kit. But im not sure if its the bose amp causing me problems or the cd player...i would have to say the cd player since it only happens when listening to cd's...just weird tho..sooner or later i would like to add a 12'' sub, but im worried that my mids and highs will sound like garbage, and from the sound of it, it might be hard to get around the bose system...idk...im open for suggestions before i start spending money...HELP?!?

·
Registered
68 Posts
subwoofer pre-out on aftermarket HU weak

Has anyone had problems after installing Metra and aftermarket HU with the sub pre-out? Before I had the metra kit i just spliced the input on the bose amp under the seat. Now i want the sub controls on the HU and my sub barely moves. There is a signal but it is very weak. I don't have the speaker wire attached at the HU because they run from under the passenger seat output to the 4 channel in the trunk. Am i doing this wrong?

121 - 140 of 184 Posts