Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard many good things about these tires so I figured I am going to try them out this winter. They run around $147.95 locally in my area so that isn't so bad at all. Has anyone used these tires before in winter that could share their reviews?

Here's a little bit about them...

Features/Benefits :
• Arrowhead Tread Pattern (directional) - Unique tread positioning effectively expels water, snow and slush while providing "uncompromised" lateral grip
• Driving Safety Indicator - DSI system uses number blocks displayed in the center of the tread area, indicating the safety level and remaining tread depth in millimeters
• Haka Siping - Revolutionary siping system creates "rubber studs" in the tread resulting in improved grip while providing a higher level of stability during high speed driving
• High Dispersion Silica Compound (100% Silica) - Provides excellent grip, longer mileage, and better rolling resistance while maintaining winter properties
• Info Pin - Can inform driver of road conditions based on outside air temperature surrounding the tire
• Jointless Nylon Belt - Helps prevent tread separations while providing a smooth, comfortable ride
• Severe Service Emblem - Only four-season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem exceeding new government snow condition regulations

Attachments

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump for any thoughts about these tires.... :sarc:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I too have heard good things about them, but have no direct experience with them. I think they are one of the best selling winter tires in countries outside of the US. The only draw back for me would be that they look like they have a uni-directional tread pattern. I try to stay away from that with winter tires since they wear pretty quickly. They are about the same price as Blizzak's, so that price is on par.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had Nokia (back before they turned into Nokian) NRW1 on my Mystique, and they wore very well - ~20K miles with no visible wear - and they made the car much more driveable in the wintertime.

I had just put a set of WRs on my Impreza Outback Sport but then traded it a few days later (dumbass for putting them on in the first place) so I didn't get to use them in the snow... but I did drive them a few hundred miles in the most unbelievable torrential downpour and gale-force winds through the mountains of VT/NH and while everyone else was slowed down, some pulled over and even a few cars off the road - the WRs handled it like a spring rain.

I'm trying to figure out what to put on my 6 17s now that I've decided to start using it as the daily/winter car but you can't get Nokians via Tire Rack etc. And all the good local tire shops are "first come/first serve" this time of year so it's a total PITA to get a set right now.

WRs are held in very high regard by the Subaru community (see subaruoutback.org) so if your goal is unstoppability vs. dry-road performance, I'd have to recommend them as a top choice.

Blizzaks etc. are a multi-compound tire that effectively revert to an all-season tire after being half-worn (i.e. the "good stuff" is on the outside only) - I don't believe the Nokians share this property.

Nokians in general = the shizznit in VT, far more popular than the Blizzaks - where we have our share of snow and many people live on dirt roads.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had Nokia (back before they turned into Nokian) NRW1 on my Mystique, and they wore very well - ~20K miles with no visible wear - and they made the car much more driveable in the wintertime.

I had just put a set of WRs on my Impreza Outback Sport but then traded it a few days later (dumbass for putting them on in the first place) so I didn't get to use them in the snow... but I did drive them a few hundred miles in the most unbelievable torrential downpour and gale-force winds through the mountains of VT/NH and while everyone else was slowed down, some pulled over and even a few cars off the road - the WRs handled it like a spring rain.

I'm trying to figure out what to put on my 6 17s now that I've decided to start using it as the daily/winter car but you can't get Nokians via Tire Rack etc. And all the good local tire shops are "first come/first serve" this time of year so it's a total PITA to get a set right now.

WRs are held in very high regard by the Subaru community (see subaruoutback.org) so if your goal is unstoppability vs. dry-road performance, I'd have to recommend them as a top choice.

Blizzaks etc. are a multi-compound tire that effectively revert to an all-season tire after being half-worn (i.e. the "good stuff" is on the outside only) - I don't believe the Nokians share this property.
Nokians in general = the shizznit in VT, far more popular than the Blizzaks - where we have our share of snow and many people live on dirt roads.
[/b]
that's good to hear... i didn't think treadwear would be a huge problem becaues of their ratings. Since i'm only using them strictly for the winter which will involve mud and slush as well as snow and ice, they will be a great tire. Once the season is over, my old tires will be slapped back on! I'll let everyone know my review when i put the tires on and the season has begun.

I've heard these tires are pretty quiet as well...

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've heard these tires are pretty quiet as well...
[/b]
Tire noise has never been an issue for me. If you can hear any tire noise (or any wind noise for that matter), then you need a more powerful stereo :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I want to buy winter tires and I really like these Nokians. However, is the WR a snow tire or is it an all-season that's good in the snow? I don't even know if it matters, but I feel like I've decided that if I'm goig to have a second set of wheels with tires just for winter, they might as well be snow tires and if I wanted all seasons, I would have one set on the car year round. I haven't read one bad review on these WR's though.

Is there something wrong with a unidirectional snow tire?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Is there something wrong with a unidirectional snow tire?
[/b]
There is nothing technically wrong with them. They only downside is if you want to maintain even wear, at some point you will have to take the tires off the wheels and flip them in order to be able to rotate them corner to corner. This is no different than any other unidirectional tire though.

Most snow tires are made of softer compounds that improve traction on ice and keep the tire pliable in cold weather. My experience has been that snow tires wear faster than summer tires, even if the tread wear rating is comparable. When the tread wear rating on one tire brand says 220 and another brand says 240, it doesn't necessarily mean the ones rated at 240 will last longer.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i took into consideration that there isn't going to be snow on the road every single day, therefore you don't need a "winter tire only" for wet/dry conditions. That would break down the tire much quicker if it was a winter tire compared to a semi-all season tire.

·
Registered
747 Posts
As with everything else, there's always a tradeoff - it would be nice if you could push a button and go from "summers" to "all-seasons" to "snows" as conditions warrant, but we're not there yet.

If you live in Albany or Pittsburgh, and you're mostly in town, yeah you're going to see some weather but how often are you going to get caught in bad snow/ice? Maybe only a dozen times a year - but if you want as much control as possible those times for a little expense on the treadwear and giving up a little on dry-road performance, I think the WR is an excellent choice. They are definitely more of a "could use it year-round tire that's better than an all-season in the snow" vs. "dedicated big old nasty rumbly snow tire."

I think with a 6 however, for anyone who lives this far north and drives it year round, an all-season is too much of a compromise - don't get to enjoy the full performance potential of the car in the summertime and not enough confidence those times when you do get some real wintry conditions.

I wrote to Tire Rack asking why the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 disappeared in the 215-50/17 size (no response yet) but if they can't deliver, then my next choice is Michelin X-Ice, their 2nd rated winter tire. As much as we dislike the stock 17" Michelin all-seasons on the 6, the higher end Michelin tires are excellent and these are in the ballpark of the WRs - looks like they'll have comparable wintry performance but with a hint more performance on dry roads.

11/27 and I've only had to drive in slop once - it was just slush that got rained away. This will be the first time in a long time that I can remember getting through a Vermont November without a real snowstorm leaving a real accumulation of snow. The upside of global warming?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As with everything else, there's always a tradeoff - it would be nice if you could push a button and go from "summers" to "all-seasons" to "snows" as conditions warrant, but we're not there yet.

If you live in Albany or Pittsburgh, and you're mostly in town, yeah you're going to see some weather but how often are you going to get caught in bad snow/ice? Maybe only a dozen times a year - but if you want as much control as possible those times for a little expense on the treadwear and giving up a little on dry-road performance, I think the WR is an excellent choice. They are definitely more of a "could use it year-round tire that's better than an all-season in the snow" vs. "dedicated big old nasty rumbly snow tire."

[/b]
that's my thought process exactly... :yesnod:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm a little confused about some of your replies. I'm looking at the WR for a strictly wintertime use. I have a second set of rims and I'm looking to put a set of tires on them for ~Nov-Apr. I then have the stock 18's with summer tires for the remainder of the year. Do your opinions change about this tire whether it's to be used as a single wheel, all year tire or if its going on a second set of wheels to be used just in the winter?

One of the things I didn't like about some other tires such as the Dunlops is that after somewhere around the first 50-55%, the remainder of the tire is an all-season compound. I don't really like that idea, but then I'm considering a fully all-season tire for winter use with the Nokian WR.

Any different thoughts about using the WR as strictly a winter tire?

PS Do you have that much worse of a winter in Burlington than near Albany?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
picked up the tires today at a local Nokian Dealer and actually got a discount. Tires were already reduced to $147.95 but i got them for $137.00 plus tax. Not a bad xmas gift from them haha...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Curious as to where you got your tires? I've bought from a few local places, but it never hurts to have another option.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curious as to where you got your tires? I've bought from a few local places, but it never hurts to have another option.
[/b]
Laurel Gardens Tire Service...

163 Sixth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
412-364-3953

If you want them, they take an order by phone and then contact you when they have arrived, if they don't have any in stock already. I ordered them last friday, received them by tuesday morning.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That's the place I got my Blizzak's a few years ago. Great people there. It was really convenient when I lived in Bellevue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran WR's on my Jetta before I got my MS6. My woman is running a set on our '02 Olds Aurora. They are an all season tire that meets winter tire performance criteria. I got alot of mileage (say 40k) out of them on my VW which is heavy and hard on tires (I had 195/55R16) The Aurora is doing even better b/c it's got more tire and less weight.
Their snow performance is always decent but it gets really amazing with the narrower 195's I had on my VW compared to just decent with the wider WR's (225's ?) on the lighter Aurora. The wide tires with less weight 'float' much more readily.

Wet traction is amazing. Dry traction is good, they track straight, but they will understeer big time especially when brand new b/c of the large independent tread blocks squirming around.

The best part about the WR is that you don't HAVE to take it off in the summer if something comes up.
Noise is pretty bad when new but they get quieter when they wear in.
YMMV

·
Registered
747 Posts
PS Do you have that much worse of a winter in Burlington than near Albany?
[/b]
I've never lived in Albany, it's only 3 hours away (mostly South) so it's probably not drastically different - but Burlington's a lot smaller and it gets more "rural" very quickly. Winters are a little easier in a bigger city where you have tens of thousands of cars driving around eventually pushing the snow to the side... you're quite often and literally "on your own" up here. We're also on the east coast of a very big lake so we get a small "lake effect," but not quite like Buffalo or Rochester!

re: winter-only vs. all-season - doesn't change my answer much; if my goal was maximum traction at the expense of everything else then I might be looking at a different Nokian or even putting studs in them (which you can do up here)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ok, I didn't read through the whole thread, so I apologize if something has been mentioned already. I just wanted to give my experience with Nokian tires.

I bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi tires last winter. I paid about $900 Canadian for a set of 4 with steelies.

So I drove last winter with the Nokians and swapped back to stockies for the summer. Now that the snow has fallen again, I have put the Nokians back on. I cannot express how much of a difference there is between the stock all seasons and the Nokians. The Nokians are great. I don't know how to explain it, but you can feel the snow underneath the car and can feel the tires gripping it. My ABS hardly even comes on now with the winter tires, they grip that well (of course proper threshold braking helps too). I have no problem beating everybody out of the lights now... hardly ever slip when I hit the gas (of course proper clutch release helps in with this).

I had to drive the car with the all seasons through a pretty good snow storm at the beginning of the season and you can tell the difference. The all seasons get really hard and they loose their grip once it drops below about -3 or -4 celcius. The Nokians on the other hand do great in the freezing temperature (we just had a cold spell of -30 celcius).

I know I do not present a very technical argument for going with the Nokians, and I do not compare with any other brand of winter tire, but in my personal experience (or butt-dyno as some might call it) the Nokians are awesome and I would never go another winter without them.

Also, on a side note... always get a spare set of steel rims for mounting the winter tires on... 3 reasons, it makes swapping seasons easier (or cheaper if someone does it for you), no worries about wrecking the alloy summer rims if you hi a curb, and you get a cool undercover cop-car look for a few months of the year :laugh: .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts