Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I just bought a 2005 Mazda6 Sport with 17" rims. I was thinking of of getting new winter tires and rims.
I saw in the news paper a place selling Steel rims 17" rims for $74.99 and Michelin X-Ice for $185.49 each.
Total price $1021.92 Tire & Rims for 4

And at the Mazda dealership
four 16" steel rims and four Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4 tires

Yes I do need winter tires!!!

Questions can someone help me with?

1)Can I change my 17" alloy rims to 16" steel rims for the winter?

2)Would it effect my spedometer and odometer?

3)Should I get the 17" steel rims from the store?

4)I was wondering does anyone have any infomation on which tire brand is better?
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4(http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakka4.aspx) or the Michelin X-Ice
Does anyone have a review of both of them compared?

Thanks for the time to answer my questions!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am actually in the same situation as you, I am in need of winter tires and am currently searching prices. In terms of price, and saving your 17's that are now on your car you may be better off buying the 16" steels, and tires and using those as winter tires. 16" winter tires usually cost a little less and will save you money in the long run. The 16" wheel size should not adversly affect your speedometer.
On the other hand I plan to purchase 17" winter tires and get different rims for the summer, thus keeping my 17's for winter use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iam planing to keep my rims for summer but i find that the 17" alloy rims that I have pick up too much snow and it causes to throw off the balance of the rims where i am has a lot of snow.

I heard that the universal rims arent good for our mazda6 is that a myth?
example i found a store selling rims for 17" which are $64 each which is cheap not sure if i should get them has any one tried?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I am actually in the same situation as you, I am in need of winter tires and am currently searching prices. In terms of price, and saving your 17's that are now on your car you may be better off buying the 16" steels, and tires and using those as winter tires. 16" winter tires usually cost a little less and will save you money in the long run. The 16" wheel size should not adversly affect your speedometer.
On the other hand I plan to purchase 17" winter tires and get different rims for the summer, thus keeping my 17's for winter use.
[/b]
Solution here for YOU continue reading afterwards on more of my posts ... hope it helps

As far as the Michelins , well they didn't impress me much with the lack of thread separation width to allow deep snow evacuation

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 6 pack for the info!!!!
it helped me decide what iam going to but i think ill get the Nokian Hakkapelitta 4s with the 16 inch steelies
that was they are cheaper and can push through the snow more easily!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought myself a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI tires with steelies. I am really looking to see how they handle. I have heard nothing but good from this company.[attachmentid=16471]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts