Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Mazda 6. I am getting a metal on metal noise coming from the brake pad area, I think, whenever I back out of my drive way and pull forward. As soon as I apply the brakes for the first time at a stop sign I can hear a metal on metal noise coming from the dirver and passenger side brake disc area. It only happens if I go in reverse, drive forward, and apply the brakes. I've taken it to two different repair places and the can't seem to find a problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Does the noise stop completely after the first time? If so, it's normal, just taking out the small rust that appears on the rotors overnight when it's humid. Check out the rotors before you hop in the car in the morning.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yea especially if you live on or around the water. When i lived at home, right on the water, my rotors were covered in the morning and basically one step of the brakes took care of the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 05 6s and I have the same problem with backing up and then going forward and the first time you hit the brakes you hear a noise, but my noise is like a thunk. It's sounds like something is being rocked forward in the driver's wheel well and it only does it the first time after going in reverse.

Do I need to replace my control arms or can I replace just the bushings?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't live in humid area or near water. The car is kept in the garage at night. It makes this noise even if I drive the car for awhile. I go in reverse, something is backing out of the disc area, so when I press on the brake it gets pushed back in. Its very odd. Its been doing it for awhile now. Had the car for over two years now.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, I said bushings when I meant ball joints. That is the only thing I can think of that can rock back and forth.

You are right, our problem has nothing to do with overnight moisture on the rotors.

I've seen other threads about ball joint replacement and if it should be attempted or replace the whole control arm, but no one ever tells you how to know when they are actually bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
djk inNc,

Do you know if ball joints are expensive to replace? Have you taken your 6 to a repair shop, if so what did they tell you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know about the ball joints themselves but just the lower control arm (where the ball joint is mounted) is around $400 from what I've read in these forums.

I have not taken it to a repair shop yet about this specific problem. What I don't understand is I've had new brakes, new tires and an alignment done and no mechanic seems to have noticed that there may be a problem. That's why I was asking if my klunk noise is the ball joints or not. Can you only tell if they are bad if you pull the socket off of the ball? I have not stuck my head in there myself and I don't know what a good versus bad ball joint would look like or if I can even tell from just looking at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any time that you get close to 40k miles from a previous brake replacement it's most probably time to replace the pads again. You may need anti-rattle (chatter) shims also. They are fairly inexpensive and easy to install.

My noise is definitely a klunk like something is shifting positions. So my problem is nothing like yours. Time for me to start a new thread.

Also check out How Stuff Works "How Brake Shims Work"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've never looked at the ball joints..I wouldn't know a bad one from a good one. I think our problems may be similar because I pretty sure there is something being pushed out when I back up, pushed back in when I put the car in drive and push on the brakes. Two mechanics have looked at mine and haven't found a problem.

My car has been making this noise for about a year or more now. I don't know, frustrating not knowing what the problem is....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts