Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got this car 3 months ago and did a tire rotation from the dealer. I recently heard a noise coming from the front left side of the car. Its a rotational type of noise where the faster i go the fast the sound occurs. I suspect its a faulty wheel bearing and took it to the dealer but found nothing. Noise is very very faint. Barely heard with the radio/blower off. Anyone know???

I also have condensation in both my tailights which are being replace by the dealership under warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
Give us a better description of the sound.

Is it rhytmic and gets faster with speed?
What TYPE of sound is it?

At what speed can it first be heard?

Double-check the rotation was done right:
Loosten and hand-tighten your lug nuts
Check your tire pressure cold

Let us know, we'll see if we can help diagnose.

-Ernie

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rotors seem to be free of debris, not sure about the pads (didnt take out the wheel).

Yes, its rhytmic and gets faster with speed. It sounds like ur driving with a flat tire although its extremely faint and can only be heard obviously on smooth roads. Tire pressure is correct.

Yeah, im gonna pick up a jack tomorrow and check if the tire rotation was done right. Going to also do the faulty wheel bearing test by shaking the wheel. Im gonna start doing tire rotations myself. Is a torque wrench necessary or can i use an impact wrench?

·
Registered
117 Posts
DO you get a clicking sound at low speed, especially when turning and it's louder or more noticeable when you turn tightly? If so it maybe your CV joint - my right one failed @ 6000 miles or so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
For your wheel bearing to have play it has to be pretty bad. Jack the car up, grab the coil spring and spin the wheel with your hand. If the bearing is bad you will clearly feel the vibration translate through your hand. You can do the same to the other side for comparison.
Check your tire wear, are they slightly feathered? Are they cupping? Spin the wheel while slightly rubbing the tire tread with your hand to see if the tire is wearing ok.

DJ

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No large stones but there are very small pebbles stuck. Took them out but theres still that noise. Im going in to dealer to change my taillights this week and will tell them again about this noise.

·
Registered
659 Posts
1) Do a driveby. See if you can have a friend stand by the road while you're driving by
2) Check for rubbing in the wheel wells -- even slightly larger tires will cause rubbing; if something is 'out of whack' that will give you the flat tire sound
3) Try driving with a passenger in the rear, possibly localizing it further

If a passenger can hear it, insist on a ride-along with the dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
iantan05
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing