Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Oz
I have been gathering some interesting data relating to real world acceleration, that is in gear times.
Attached are some interesting comparisons. The data was gleaned from WHEELS magazines road tests. Enjoy ...adds to our bragging rights. :yesnod:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yeah indeed the in gear acceleration is top on this car. That's why it makes the car jump into any hole in traffic with real ease.

·
Registered
375 Posts
think about this for a while

the final drive ratio on the gto is .5 to 1

that means for every revolution of the engine the gears in back are turning twice.

at 90mph the car is driving at 1900 rpms

there isnt another car in that list that could pull 3400 pounds at all with those gears at any speed
not to discredit any other car there, im just saying thats why the test didnt work so great with the car

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
think about this for a while

the final drive ratio on the gto is .5 to 1

that means for every revolution of the engine the gears in back are turning twice.

at 90mph the car is driving at 1900 rpms

there isnt another car in that list that could pull 3400 pounds at all with those gears at any speed
not to discredit any other car there, im just saying thats why the test didnt work so great with the car
[/b]
I have driven the HSV and man this thing hauls, especially in the right gear to use the torque...It would be a beast with a lower final drive. As it is it just pulls so well with the higher gearing with the 6litre engine as it is now. It is made in OZ and very expensive out here..I drove one that was almost twice the price of my new MPS (Mazdaspeed6). So I'm thrilled with the performance of my new car compared with the HSV.

The MPS is just so civilised....but I'm still buying my EVO IX

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Awesome chart...super interesting stuff :thumbup:

I knew our 6th was really fast, but I didnt realize what a dog the GTO was in the higher gears.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I knew our 6th was really fast, but I didnt realize what a dog the GTO was in the higher gears.
[/b]
I don't think the top gear on the two cars can be comparable at all. Our top gear will be doing 100K/h or 62mph with 2600rpm whilst the GTO probably doing 100K/62mph with 2000rpm as it is such a tall gearing that mainly for cruising and it is really leisurely cruising with hardly any engine noise at all with this gearing combination.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't think the top gear on the two cars can be comparable at all. Our top gear will be doing 100K/h or 62mph with 2600rpm whilst the GTO probably doing 100K/62mph with 2000rpm as it is such a tall gearing that mainly for cruising and it is really leisurely cruising with hardly any engine noise at all with this gearing combination.
[/b]
i keep trying to reply to this but i keep getting denied my computer sucks

anyways if someone can get me the exact tire size of the gto i can get you all the speeds and what gears they sit in at what rpm

62 mph in that car should be at 1k rpm not 2
and top speed ( without limiter and with a ton more power should be around 260mph )

·
Registered
493 Posts
I drove one that was almost twice the price of my new MPS (Mazdaspeed6). So I'm thrilled with the performance of my new car compared with the HSV.
[/b]
That seems odd given the taxes Australia has on imported cars. The Aussie-made 6.0L/6M GTO we get in the US sells for about $31K, and the MS6 GT is around $30K.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
where are you getting that data from? Looks like you just made a graph and scribbled some numbers in. You need some proof because other then the RX8 all the cars you've listed trap over 100mph, meaning its faster then the Speed6. Infact, I was at a dyno couple weeks ago where a stock 01 STI motor put down 290+ hp. That car pulled on a SRT4 stage 2 with 260whp so i know that the STI would walk it. Also its pretty well known fact that the japanese cars are all underrated at 280bhp. Skylines R34 easily trap mid 12's so I don't mean to diss the speed6 but I'm going to have to pull the BS card. Especially saying that the 260hp mps is faster then a 400hp HSV GTS, those things have 350lb torque to the wheels from 2000rpms. lol.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
where are you getting that data from? Looks like you just made a graph and scribbled some numbers in. You need some proof because other then the RX8 all the cars you've listed trap over 100mph, meaning its faster then the Speed6. Infact, I was at a dyno couple weeks ago where a stock 01 STI motor put down 290+ hp. That car pulled on a SRT4 stage 2 with 260whp so i know that the STI would walk it. Also its pretty well known fact that the japanese cars are all underrated at 280bhp. Skylines R34 easily trap mid 12's so I don't mean to diss the speed6 but I'm going to have to pull the BS card. Especially saying that the 260hp mps is faster then a 400hp HSV GTS, those things have 350lb torque to the wheels from 2000rpms. lol.
[/b]
All data from WHEELS magazine, an Australian Motoring Magazine with a 50 plus year history. Uses the latest computerised data collection and one of the only mags to show data related to in gear accelerations. go to
www.wheelsmag.com.au

This was in fact a very special Skyline.....I will scan in the pages and attach later ;you...you..you (will not use expletive even though I am from OZ...)

HSV's do have enormous torque, however, they also have sky high gearing and wouldn't pull the skin off a custard in top gear. You obviously have no idea about gearing and where useable torque can overcome power. Have a look on a link with TOP GEAR in the UK. These guys did a test with an EVO VIII and it couldn't out accelerate a tiny economy car with no power. It was a combination of no boost, no torque and wrong gearing...stick to automatics....you...you

go to http://www.topgear.com/content/timetoburn/sections/videos/

Then look up the Mitsubishi EVO file. enjoy and try to learn something from your elders.you ...you :swearin:

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
[/b]
If it was an Australian magazine, it probably reviewed the 2.0 liter STI. The USDM STI is quite a bit more powerful.

I recently read a review that pegged the 0-30 time of the STI at 1.3 seconds. Perhaps the Mazdaspeed is similar, I dunno. But that is crazy fast.

I also think top-gear acceleration tests are worthless. I don't want good acceleration in 6th gear. I only want good mileage. I would MUCH rather have a car geared like the GTO or Corvette. Passing is what the other gears are for.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it was an Australian magazine, it probably reviewed the 2.0 liter STI. The USDM STI is quite a bit more powerful.

I recently read a review that pegged the 0-30 time of the STI at 1.3 seconds. Perhaps the Mazdaspeed is similar, I dunno. But that is crazy fast.

I also think top-gear acceleration tests are worthless. I don't want good acceleration in 6th gear. I only want good mileage. I would MUCH rather have a car geared like the GTO or Corvette. Passing is what the other gears are for.
[/b]
Correct it was the 2 litre STI (195kW) and you sir have hit the nail on the head....that's what gears are for...the point of the whole exercise was to show how well the MPS can match extremely potent machines....!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
Daridari
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing