Mazda 6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my dealer on Friday to pick up some touch up paint. While I was there, they did the Android Auto update and gave me a complementary oil change. I told them that I wanted them to use synthetic oil. The person in the Service Department who was helping me told me that the manufacturer stated that you should not use synthetic motor oil in the 2.5 Skyactive Turbo. I thought this was strange. She said she would follow up with the technicians as to why. I didn't have time to stick around for an answer, but she said she would call me this week with a thorough explanation.

Has anyone else heard or read this before? I have always used synthetic in my vehicles, so this sounded strange. Studies have shown that synthetic motor oil improves longevity.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Nonsense. All of Mazda's skyactiv engines, turbo or NA require synthetic oil.

However, just because an oil claims to be synthetic does not mean it is a good oil, just like an oil that claims to be Dino (non-synthetic) is not necessarily a bad oil.

If you want to do your own oil changes, my recommendation is to use Motul 5W30 it's a very good high performance oil perfect for turbo engines. Another great choice is Liqui-Moly. If you drive in a hot climate, don't hesitate to use 5W40.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nonsense. All of Mazda's skyactiv engines, turbo or NA require synthetic oil.

However, just because an oil claims to be synthetic does not mean it is a good oil, just like an oil that claims to be Dino (non-synthetic) is not necessarily a bad oil.

If you want to do your own oil changes, my recommendation is to use Motul 5W30 it's a very good high performance oil perfect for turbo engines. Another great choice is Liqui-Moly. If you drive in a hot climate, don't hesitate to use 5W40.

I also thought it was non-sense. So for my first "free oil change," they stuck me with conventional oil. Thanks for the recommendations. I've typically used either Mobile 1 or AMSOIL

·
Banned
703 Posts
I also thought it was non-sense. So for my first "free oil change," they stuck me with conventional oil. Thanks for the recommendations. I've typically used either Mobile 1 or AMSOIL
Mobil 1 is trash oil I strongly recommend against it. It runs on brand image/identity and nothing else. AMSoil is apparently good but I have heard bad things about it too. When you are choosing an oil look for one that is thick (turbo engines in particular like thicker oil as this protects and cools the turbo better) and additives specifically for DI motors is extremely important hence which is why I like those two oils I have mentioned. They are both incredibly resistant to fuel-shear/ breaking down and can be run for a long time while still protecting the engine.

As long as you use something decent and a sufficiently thick oil that is good enough. What's most important is to always ensure you change your oil on time. DI motors contaminate your engines oil supply with fuel, and this effect becomes more apparent if you drive city often. If you are primarily a highway driver you don't need to worry about frequent oil changes as much.

Cheers

·
Registered
672 Posts
I stopped by my dealer on Friday to pick up some touch up paint. While I was there, they did the Android Auto update and gave me a complementary oil change. I told them that I wanted them to use synthetic oil. The person in the Service Department who was helping me told me that the manufacturer stated that you should not use synthetic motor oil in the 2.5 Skyactive Turbo. I thought this was strange. She said she would follow up with the technicians as to why. I didn't have time to stick around for an answer, but she said she would call me this week with a thorough explanation.

Has anyone else heard or read this before? I have always used synthetic in my vehicles, so this sounded strange. Studies have shown that synthetic motor oil improves longevity.
Yeah, that's not true. Any engine that takes dino oil can take full synth (maybe except those old rotary engines) with no problems whatsoever. I don't think dino would hurt the SkyActive but Mazda recommends full synth so it's not worth saving a couple bucks twice a year going against their specs. Weird they would tell you that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that's not true. Any engine that takes dino oil can take full synth (maybe except those old rotary engines) with no problems whatsoever. I don't think dino would hurt the SkyActive but Mazda recommends full synth so it's not worth saving a couple bucks twice a year going against their specs. Weird they would tell you that.

I don't have much confidence in the girl who was helping me. I mentioned that I like to change my own oil, and had purchased a filter from the parts counter. She told me that the car takes 0w20, so that when I do my own oil changes, that's what I should use. Then, after I left the dealership, I looked at the sticker they put on the window to remind me of my next oil change. The sticker said 5w20. So, I called her and asked about the discrepancy between what the sticker said and what she told me at the dealership. She checked with the service techs, and it turns out she was wrong, and the car does take 5w20.

She is supposed to call me today with clarification as to why I should NOT put synthetic. I'll report back what she tells me.

·
Banned
703 Posts
I agree. FWIW, rotary engines require dino because they rely on burning that oil in order to work properly. Synthetic oils are more resistant to oil consumption.

·
Registered
672 Posts
She is supposed to call me today with clarification as to why I should NOT put synthetic. I'll report back what she tells me.
Her answer will be pretty interesting. I somehow doubt she's making extensive research and giving your call highest priority :)

·
Banned
703 Posts
Her answer will be pretty interesting. I somehow doubt she's making extensive research and giving your call highest priority :)
It sure will be. I am very curious to hear what sort of ideas the dealership has explaining why customers should go directly against the manufacturers recommendation.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The 2.5L Turbo calls for 5W-30. Period. The girl at the dealer is non informed. SAD

If you want to use the best oil for your 2.5L Turbo check the certifications. Getting an ACEA A3/B4 or C3 5W30 ensures you get better protection out of your 5W30 where it counts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

In looking at the owner's manual for the 2018 6, it makes no reference to using synthetic oil in the vehicle maintenance section. That goes for both the 2.5 and the 2.5T I'm curious, where you are seeing that Mazda recommends it?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have you bothered to look at what it specifies in your owners manual? My wife's CX-9 (same Turbo G engine) calls for non-synthetic oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you bothered to look at what it specifies in your owners manual? My wife's CX-9 (same Turbo G engine) calls for non-synthetic oil.

The owners manual for the 2018 makes no mention of conventional vs. synthetic. I just specifies the oil weight based on which engine you have. All it says is, and I quote, "For maintenance service, Mazda recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and Castrol® (U.S.A. only)."

·
Administrator
8,508 Posts
The owners manual for the 2018 makes no mention of conventional vs. synthetic. I just specifies the oil weight based on which engine you have. All it says is, and I quote, "For maintenance service, Mazda recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and Castrol® (U.S.A. only)."
I read that too. Translation: dino or synthetic will be fine, as long as it's 5W-30.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Interesting re the naturally (normally) aspirated 2.5: they recommend 0W-20 (I know some of you believe otherwise... set that aside for a moment)... I may be wrong here but I don't think you can get 0W-20 in a conventional... only a synthetic. Effectively they are asking for a synthetic for the less stressed engine but don't care re the turbo haha. Makes no sense.

Regardless, view under the valve cover of any modern day engine to see how darkly burnished (brown) the surfaces are in an engine that has run conventional oil versus how much less so a synthetic. Engines these days run HOT and tend to sludge making the synthetic a no-brainer. YMMV but i know what I will do!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Oh, and sludging has various causes - but heat can play a role when said pieces of sludge want to break free. Aside from the need to STILL do frequent oil changes when driving conditions or useage patterns could cause sludge (equally-regardless of you running conventional versus synthetic) - synthetic will have you faring better off re sludge than a conventional!

·
Banned
703 Posts
Regardless, view under the valve cover of any modern day engine to see how darkly burnished (brown) the surfaces are in an engine that has run conventional oil versus how much less so a synthetic. Engines these days run HOT and tend to sludge making the synthetic a no-brainer. YMMV but i know what I will do!
Like i mentioned earlier, it has little to do with synthetic VS. non synthetic, but the actual quality of the oil. Many synthetics are actually just a semi synthetic blend - dino base with additives poured in that make it considered "synthetic."

I don't see how sludge has anything to do with hotter engine temperatures. the hotter an engine runs, the more it thins out the oil which theoretically should prolong the duration until engine oil starts to sludge. since DI motors tend to shear the engine oil with fuel that should make it even more resistant to sludge forming. Plus, the NA Skyactiv motor actually runs quite cool especially for a modern engine. Turbo engines naturally run hotter, but not by much.

The turbo engine specifies 5w30 oil because the turbo itself requires a thicker film of oil to maintain protection, reduce the amount of oil consumption via the turbo and also protect the rest of the engine internals from the added stress of the turbo. 5W30 is just enough protection for the turbo engine to get it through the warranty period, and 0W20 is just enough protection for the NA engine.

Bottom line, don't be scared to use thicker oil, make sure you are using good quality oil (ie NOT Mobil 1) and be very sure to change the oil often.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ask anyone with the undersized oil filter and the originally mfr-spec'd under-performer oil... in an early Passat 1.8T. Sludging was a major issue in that engine (toasted many) 'till vw smartened up and made the filter size bigger and called for much higher-spec'd oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ask anyone with the undersized oil filter and the originally mfr-spec'd under-performer oil... in an early Passat 1.8T. Sludging was a major issue in that engine (toasted many) 'till vw smartened up and made the filter size bigger and called for much higher-spec'd oil.

Speaking of filter size, I purchased a new oil filter for my 2018 6 2.5T at the dealership and I was surprised how small it was. It looks about the same size that I have on my twin cylinder lawn tractor and on my twin cylinder Harley. I questioned the kid behind the parts counter if he gave me the correct filter, and he said yes. I just seems really small.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Speaking of filter size, I purchased a new oil filter for my 2018 6 2.5T at the dealership and I was surprised how small it was. It looks about the same size that I have on my twin cylinder lawn tractor and on my twin cylinder Harley. I questioned the kid behind the parts counter if he gave me the correct filter, and he said yes. I just seems really small.
Good point, i forgot to mention. The oil filters Mazda uses are quite small considering the sheer amount of oil this engine holds. It wouldn't be a bad idea to change your oil filter halfway through your interval while the engine oil is still clean.

I would suggest using Mann oil filters. They are available for the NA motor, not sure about the Turbo but there should be one for the 2.5T too. It is an OEM provider for European cars such as BMW and a very, very good quality oil filter.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.