Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Has anyone had this issue on a 2009 Mazda 6, no start, key fob not detected, security lock is on, no crank, car is immobilized, car is in dealer since Wednesday morning, car had to be towed there w/AAA, techs can’t figure out what caused it or how to repair, techs called Mazda headquarters for guidance, it been a week and no advisor calls me for updates or service manager, car only has 54,700 original miles, I am the 2nd owner, bought the car on 3/5/2021.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Probably a stupid question, but what happened when you used the emergency key in the steering column? Did it started?

Have you changed the key fob battery or tried the other key?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably a stupid question, but what happened when you used the emergency key in the steering column? Did it started?

Have you changed the key fob battery or tried the other key?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not even the back up key is being recognized, both keys have new batt that were installed last week, nothing, dealer called me this morning saying that my main car batt is not holding charge and they try with a new one and program everything, let’s see

·
Registered
5 Posts
Considering the age of this post, I'm guessing the issue has been resolved. I had a similar issue. Had the car towed to the dealer and the dealer said they wanted to replace the steering column lock and then the keyless control module if the steering column lock replacement didn't work. Basically wanted to charge up to $1700 to fix the issue. I thought they were full of BS so I decided to figure it out myself. In any case I figured out the problem.

1. The problem was caused by a bad battery.
2. You must go into the car computer and clear the DTCs.
3. Clearing the DTCs is not easy since you can't use a normal ODBII scanner when you can't start the car or put into ACC.
4. You have to use the Mazda IDS tool which the dealer should have. You have to use the force ignition on feature in the Mazda IDS which requires the PCM/ECU part number of your Mazda. For the 2009 Mazda 6 its behind the battery. You can get a picture of the part number without having to remove the cover. A bit tricky but it can be done. Once you have the part number you can force ignition on through the Mazda IDS software. Once you clear the DTCs. Disconnect the battery and let the ECU reset itself. Wait for some time and reconnect your battery. Your key fobs should be recognized then.

I even charged and volt tested the bad battery, so my guess is that somehow the bad battery caused an immobilizer DTC to kick in that prevent it from recognizing your key fobs. I never suspected the battery since it was less than a year old. Even with a new battery it wouldn't start, so it had to be a DTC that was preventing it from starting. Hopefully this will help someone in the future or present.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Considering the age of this post, I'm guessing the issue has been resolved. I had a similar issue. Had the car towed to the dealer and the dealer said they wanted to replace the steering column lock and then the keyless control module if the steering column lock replacement didn't work. Basically wanted to charge up to $1700 to fix the issue. I thought they were full of BS so I decided to figure it out myself. In any case I figured out the problem.

1. The problem was caused by a bad battery.
2. You must go into the car computer and clear the DTCs.
3. Clearing the DTCs is not easy since you can't use a normal ODBII scanner when you can't start the car or put into ACC.
4. You have to use the Mazda IDS tool which the dealer should have. You have to use the force ignition on feature in the Mazda IDS which requires the PCM/ECU part number of your Mazda. For the 2009 Mazda 6 its behind the battery. You can get a picture of the part number without having to remove the cover. A bit tricky but it can be done. Once you have the part number you can force ignition on through the Mazda IDS software. Once you clear the DTCs. Disconnect the battery and let the ECU reset itself. Wait for some time and reconnect your battery. Your key fobs should be recognized then.

I even charged and volt tested the bad battery, so my guess is that somehow the bad battery caused an immobilizer DTC to kick in that prevent it from recognizing your key fobs. I never suspected the battery since it was less than a year old. Even with a new battery it wouldn't start, so it had to be a DTC that was preventing it from starting. Hopefully this will help someone in the future or present.
I created an account just to thank you. This method works and saved me $200+ in having to tow the car to the dealership and pay the service guy to "repair" it. I had already had the car towed once and paid $500+ to start it with a new key, and the guy suggested they might have to replace the computer on board for $1000+, I rejected this because the car is only worth about $3k at this point.

Two weeks later, the car won't start again, I don't want to send the car to the dealership and pay money to have it randomly stop working again. So I decided to uber to work for 2 weeks (glad that the work office is really close to where I live). At this point, I thought about selling the car and getting a new car. I tried charging the car battery (less than 2 years old from Walmart) with a charger from Amazon, but nothing. The battery died after a few days (Walmart replaced it for free because it was still under warranty). This can confirm that the low battery might have caused the issue. After I have gotten a new car, I came upon your response and gave it try. I bought a Mazda IDS tool from Amazon and followed your method. IT WORKS! The car can start again!

Now I have two cars lol. I wished I found your response earlier. I am planning to give the Mazda to my girlfriend.

TLDR: This method worked for my 2009 Mazda 6 with keyless entry that had the same issue as OP. Hit me up with any questions if you are facing the same issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I created an account just to thank you. This method works and saved me $200+ in having to tow the car to the dealership and pay the service guy to "repair" it. I had already had the car towed once and paid $500+ to start it with a new key, and the guy suggested they might have to replace the computer on board for $1000+, I rejected this because the car is only worth about $3k at this point. Two weeks later, the car won't start again, I don't want to send the car to the dealership and pay money to have it randomly stop working again. So I decided to uber to work for 2 weeks (glad that the work office is really close to where I live). At this point, I thought about selling the car and getting a new car. I tried charging the car battery (less than 2 years old from Walmart) with a charger from Amazon, but nothing. The battery died after a few days (Walmart replaced it for free because it was still under warranty). This can confirm that the low battery might have caused the issue. After I have gotten a new car, I came upon your response and gave it try. I bought a Mazda IDS tool from Amazon and followed your method. IT WORKS! The car can start again! Now I have two cars lol. I wished I found your response earlier. I am planning to give the Mazda to my girlfriend. TLDR: This method worked for my 2009 Mazda 6 with keyless entry that had the same issue as OP. Hit me up with any questions if you are facing the same issue.
Did the key fobs unlock and lock the car still before the problem was fixed. I’m experiencing similar problem with my 09 mazda 6

·
Registered
3 Posts
I created an account just to thank you. This method works and saved me $200+ in having to tow the car to the dealership and pay the service guy to "repair" it. I had already had the car towed once and paid $500+ to start it with a new key, and the guy suggested they might have to replace the computer on board for $1000+, I rejected this because the car is only worth about $3k at this point.

Two weeks later, the car won't start again, I don't want to send the car to the dealership and pay money to have it randomly stop working again. So I decided to uber to work for 2 weeks (glad that the work office is really close to where I live). At this point, I thought about selling the car and getting a new car. I tried charging the car battery (less than 2 years old from Walmart) with a charger from Amazon, but nothing. The battery died after a few days (Walmart replaced it for free because it was still under warranty). This can confirm that the low battery might have caused the issue. After I have gotten a new car, I came upon your response and gave it try. I bought a Mazda IDS tool from Amazon and followed your method. IT WORKS! The car can start again!

Now I have two cars lol. I wished I found your response earlier. I am planning to give the Mazda to my girlfriend.

TLDR: This method worked for my 2009 Mazda 6 with keyless entry that had the same issue as OP. Hit me up with any questions if you are facing the same issue.
Which module did you buy from amazon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which module did you buy from amazon

Which module you buy and was your a car a push button start. Sorry if I ask the same question but I’m not sure where if if my post are going through

1 - 11 of 11 Posts