Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Replying to Topic 'No Oil or Battery Guage?'

My old 626 doesn't have them either. My dad's Pontiac Bonneville has, them. To be honest, they clutter the display. Baring a major malfunction of the oil pump or alternator they're going to point to some 'nominal' value. I'd just assume have the computer decide if it's a problm and then iluminate an 'idiot' light. If I at least know that much I have a good starting point for checking the car out. Granted, if you see the battery voltage drop you can probably figure out 'hey my alternator took a dump' but how often does that happen? The alternator in my 626 lasted 140k miles, so would it be worth the dash space to tell me that the voltage regulator puked and is cranking out 18V? I knew from the speed of the windshield wipers that something was messed up.

Okay, time for me to stop rambling.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Reading Topic: No Oil or Battery Guage?

On the contrary, I feel an oil pressure, or more importantly, and oil temperature gauge should be in every car. Gives you an idea on the state of lubrication your engine is in- reflecting how aggressive you can be with the engine while the car is warming up. I agree that a voltmeter is not that important though.

-Alt

·
Registered
514 Posts

I want to know whats up way before trouble starts. They are called idiot lights for a reason :)

-Alt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Many cars don't come with "Real" oil pressure gauges anymore. Even the 99+ Miata's gauge doesn't give pressure readings. It really just a glorified idiot light.

Seem the auto companies got tired of people bringing their cars in to be fixed because "The needle in that gauge seems to bounce around a lot" or "When I start the car in the morning that gauge says the oil is low"

·
Registered
526 Posts

It'd be nice to have oil pressure/temp and coolant temp gauges, but most people don't know how to read them correctly.

For those that did - you'd be able to diagnose possible issues well before the problem got out of hand - provided you actually looked at them from time to time. The small percentage of us who'd use these is outweighed by the assumed flood of appliance operators who'd call confused.

·
Registered
76 Posts

just check your oil once per week, and don't get on it until the coolant temp guage says you're all warmed up. :)

If you want more, just buy one of those dual or triple guage pods and put whatever you want in the car. Looks a lot more ricey since it's not intergrated though, and especially since they're not measuring anything cool like boost level, EGT or A/F ratios. :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

is there a low fuel guage in the 6s? and if so...how much gas do you have left when it comes on

thanks amigos

·
Registered
514 Posts

But "warm" engine coolant doesn't necessary equate to "warm" oil. We're talking different heat transfer rates, different specific heat capacities, different volumes, and different operating temperatures. :)

I like gauges.

-Alt

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

My father in law bought his first Mazda - a 626 - back in 1989. Back then Mazda wasn't so well reputated in Sweden as it is today. So he asked how often he had to check the oil.

The dealer said that he wouldn't have to check oil at all between services. (10000 km). My f-i-l asked if he could have that in writing. And he got it!

He honestly never once opened the hood on that car. And it's still on the road (with a new owner, though).

What I mean to say: I have PLENTY experience from Mazdas over the year. Never once even the oil lamp lit up in one of them...but in case it does, I would say it's time to check oil.

If you're going to push your car hard, an oil temp gauge etc. could be money well spent, but for the rest of us...hardly.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

We have opened up the hood on 6 several times :) Once to check it out, see the fusebox ect, once to fill up the windshield washerfluid (the spolarvätska :)) just to find out that after about a month of driving in quite bad weather and using it quite frequently it was still almost full :).

I'v opened it some other times just too behold the miracle (yes it's not a supercar, but going from the Laguna makes anything with a nice plastic cover a beuty in my eyes :) (exept for the Ford Ka then.. it has plastic covers as well.. ;))

·
Registered
240 Posts

Originally posted by duck979

is there a low fuel guage in the 6s?  and if so...how much gas do you have left when it comes on

thanks amigos[/b]
There is one. But since I don't have my 6 yet, I can not tell you what the user manual say. In my current and previous mazda, the user manual said that the yellow warning light is turn on one there is approx 8 to 12 litres left of usable fuel.

Since I like to go to the limit, I reset my trip counter to zero. Assuming a fuel consumption of 8 to 10 litre per 100 km, I drive until I get to 80km on my trip counter. So I often refuel with 52 to 53.7 litres on a 55 litres (usable) fuel tanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

My father in law bought his first Mazda - a 626 - back in 1989. Back then Mazda wasn't so well reputated in Sweden as it is today. So he asked how often he had to check the oil.

The dealer said that he wouldn't have to check oil at all between services. (10000 km). ....[/b]
So far I have own 3 mazda. I checked oil regularly on my 626 '85. It never took a drop of oil. I have sometime checked the oil on my MX6 '89. It also never took a drop of oil. With my Protege '92, I got tire, I never check the oil. Until recently it never took a drop of oil netheir. But now my mechanic tells me that it's currently taking half a litre between service (8000 km for me). The engine has currently 299623 km and it's still perfect despite my frequent abuse. Than the oil thing ... not a problem with Mazda engines!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts