Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read numerous times that I should try not to boost while under 3k rpm for sake of reducing wear on engine components. To my understanding on how a free-floating piston engine works (not specifically Mazda's MZR) is to reduce the wear of the engine considerably; equivalent to 1/3 the wear a normal piston engine works. Now I still give the benefit of the doubt and drive my 3 month old "used" MS6 without boosting till 3k, but I would like some light shed on this so I can stop granny shifting this boost hound. I still have yet to get used to a LOT of things different between this and my fully built '93 FD but for the sake of this thread, just more info on this would suffice :lol:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You shouldn't be going WOT below 3K.. A little boost at part throttle isn't a big issue..

The reasoning behind this has nothing do do with the piston design... The high pressure fuel pump is driven off a camshaft and does not hit the target pressures in the lower RPM's...

·
Registered
123 Posts
To my understanding on how a free-floating piston engine works (not specifically Mazda's MZR) is to reduce the wear of the engine considerably; equivalent to 1/3 the wear a normal piston engine works.
Wha? :huh:

My understanding of the boosting issue is that when under high load at low RPMs (5th or 6th gear), several phenomenon can cause extensive detonation in the cylinder and may eventually cause stress damage to the rods / wrist pins / piston skirts. Several of the things that may be contributing to the detonation are length of the intake opening, higher heat load with reduced intake cooling, and the low speed of the piston face at lower RPMs.

This shouldn't make you need to granny shift, if you run out the gears you should be well over 3k when you upshift to the next gear. :drive:

·
Registered
123 Posts
The high pressure fuel pump is driven off a camshaft and does not hit the target pressures in the lower RPM's...
+1, that too.

Any of the aftermarket HPFPs hit target at lower revs?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It isn't efficient. (not even going to talk about the potential dangers of over-stressing the components. It just doesn't make "sense."

downshift and floor it when you're up at 3.5 and up, the sweetspot for the engine and you'll be happier.

otherwise get a v8, but you'll probably not want to floor that thing at 2k either. lol lugging any engine is bad times.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the explanation. Like I said, very different from rotary. My first car was and Rx7 FD and the only thing that I have worked on. The combustion chambers are completely different. Very few problems plagued my rotary, but they were always big ones and they were constant lol. I was hoping things were going to be different with my new DD and now they seem to stack on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts