Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so it won't be in a 6. But I'll be spending the weekend at New Jersey for the 12 hour enduro. I originally volunteered/was asked to help out with a SSM team (SCCA's version of Spec Miata) for the race. Circumstances changed and now I'm the crew chief for the weekend! Driver seat time, tire wear, fuel calcs, rule adherence, and pit strategy are just a few of the topics being discussed leading up to the race.

The race runs basically from noon to midnight on Saturday. And any endurance race is grueling on the cars, drivers, and everyone else involved. But it's fun in a "love-it-when-its-over" sort of way.

The reality is that it's a mid-pack team. And our goal is to be running at the end and finish stronger than last year. But racing is racing and any day at the track...

·
Registered
738 Posts
cool! Where abouts in jersey is the race gonna take place?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we got bit by the devil!

At endurance races the SCCA will combine multiple car classes into just a few "E" classes. We were an E3 car but as a Showroom Stock Miata, we were about the slowest of the classes combined into E3. So while we had a good consistent car, we were several seconds off of the E3 leaders and over 10 seconds off of the overall leader. Still, we were running good and by hour 7 we were up to 10th in class and 15th overall. There was a field of 45 cars so we felt pretty good for being a low buck team.

And right about then is when the devil showed up. The call came in on the radio - "I just lost oil pressure." Well that's never good...

After what seemed like forever we see the car rolling up pit road NOT under power. A few of the crew ran up to the car to push it to our stall. While lifting the hood & talking to the driver there was a strong smell of burned oil. The spray all over the airbox did not look good. We checked the oil - it was still showing on the dipstick. Try to start - nothing. Will not turn. So we look around the engine some more and sure enough, down under the manifold at the rear of the block we see the hole. Yep, we're done...

This was a relatively low mileage junkyard motor at about 75k. It was trusted but we did not know the history of it. Through practice it seemed slightly down on power, but it's only 115 hp on a good day! As near as we can tell, the rear bearing lost oil and burned up throwing a rod. But the driver didn't hear anything drastic so it took a few minutes to find.

It was a disappointing finish, but the team was happy with the performance to that point. Mechanicals are somehow easier to accept than a driver or crew mistake. And on the bright side - we were at a race track, and even a bad day at the track is better than...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts