Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be gaining popularity across the country. I am seeing more and more tire dealers in my area (Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana) adding nitrogen systems to their shops. So, I am curious how many of you here have put nitrogen in your tires and how much did you pay? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
nitronize!!!!!

and no, havent done it, i dont really see what the benefits are to me, the air is already 75% nitrogen anyway, so it changes pressure with regard to hot and cold a little better, big dea. :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
$40 4 tire mount/balance/valve stems and filled with nitrogen at costco. i asked what happens if i mix in the regular air, guy said doesn't matter. i don't notice any difference.

·
Registered
867 Posts
and no, havent done it, i dont really see what the benefits are to me, the air is already 75% nitrogen anyway, so it changes pressure with regard to hot and cold a little better, big dea. [/b]
yeah hes right the air we breath is mostly nitrogen. but i have heard that people do put nitrogen in their tires. im not sure what the benefits are but maybe a google search might help

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have just had nitrogen put in my new Dunlop Direzza's. Made a big difference from my stock Michelins. As for the Nitrogen, it cost me $26 for all four.

Benefits (per the dealership service manager so take it for what it is worth) are:
better gas mileage
nitro doesnt expand and contract as drastically with change in temp, your tire pressure stays more constant.
Helps your tires wear more even and supposedly you get more life out of your tires.

Those are what they told me. Do i believe all of it? ehh, probably not but it was worth $26 to find out.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My soon to be brother-in-law works at Jensen, and they advertise that buying four tires they will use nitrogen inflation free. Since he works there, he told me I could bring it in, and he'd do it for free.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The benefits have been covered before...

Nitrogen helps tires remain at a constant psi around 3x longer than air does. Properly inflated tires help to improve gas milage. If you check your tires on a regular basis, don't bother with this. However, if you are lazy about it like most average drivers, Nitrogen might be a quick solution and give you some piece of mind.

This is not hype. Airlines, over-the-road trucks, and a lot of race teams use Nitrogen exclusively. The NHSA has done many studies on the benefits of Nitrogen-filled tires. The only disadvantage that they see is the cost.

I used to work at a shop that had Nitrogen so I didn't pay anything.

I had it in my car for about 5 months and never had to top off the air once. There was slight fluctuation, but on a digital pressure gauge, it was only .5 or less.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think the problem is that air, the stuff we breath, that costs nothing (or a quarter at gas stations here in MI) is about 74% nitrogen already. :slap:

Yes, race teams use nitrogen because they can keep tire pressures more constant than with plain old 'air.' If you're trying to eek out every ounce of performance you can, sure, get some nitrogen. If it's free, sure, get some nitrogen. You're not hurting anything by it, but it's not worth paying for on a street car. :nono:

·
Registered
90 Posts
:huh: who invited the athiest? :huh:
[/b]
athiest means that you don't believe in any god at all, he was just stating that the bible was a hoax, maybe he has other spiritual beliefs.

not trying to thread jack and start a holy war here, just wanted to make a point so there it is, I'm done. :D

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
IIRC, 18-wheelers and other heavy-duty trucks use nitrogen as well.

It also supposedly cuts down on miosture build-up inside the tire, as well as maintaining tire pressure longer than regular air.

Not worth paying for, IMO, but I'll take it if it's free.

·
Registered
845 Posts
My Dad used Nitrogen on his tractors when he worked in his ranch it was dirt cheep in 79. He says it keeped the metal rim from rusting and the tire from cracking. I guess moisture is a factor on farm equipment.

·
Registered
253 Posts
athiest means that you don't believe in any god at all, he was just stating that the bible was a hoax, maybe he has other spiritual beliefs.

not trying to thread jack and start a holy war here, just wanted to make a point so there it is, I'm done. :D
[/b]

My fault. I just assumed that if they considered the bible a hoax that they believed God was a hoax as well :sarc:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
29 Participants
Silverback
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing