Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php

This page says it all. Benefits are less pressure loss, no moisture (so no internal corrosion), less rubber oxidation. Pure nitrogen doesnt work since oxygen will permeate back into the tire, ideal Nitrogen/Oxygen mix is 93-98%.

Thats all fine and good, but you pay for it, and topping off with nitrogen is harder to do.

If you read, there really isn't much benefit to nitrogen

Nitrogen fluctuates with temperature change, but it does so less than when water vapor is present.[/b]
So dry air is just as good.

The Federal Aviation Administration requires nitrogen in aircraft tires because it reduces the potential for water vapor freezing at high altitudes.[/b]
Again with the water vapor. Corrosion is also a big issue for aircraft.

In addition, airlines such as Boeing use nitrogen membranes or “OBIGGS” on-board inert gas generation systems (OBIGGS) to layer fuel tanks with inert nitrogen. Again, this reduces the potential for explosions.[/b]
Boeing is NOT an airline. OBIGGS is for fuel tanks, think TWA flight 800. Fuel isn't in your tires, is it?

The way I see it, its more important to eliminate/reduce moisture than use nitrogen. Nitrogen has its uses, but in a street car, they're just trying to sell a product.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Yeah. I did the calculation bit. I'd save approx 178 a year. Whooptie.

Added that there's only one place here that will do it yet. And that's a Costco. They require a membership and a purchase of tires from there to be eligible for their nitrogen service. I think I'd be out the 178 I'd save... hahahaha

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I was asked if I wanted Nitrogen in my GTO tires when purchased. It was 2 bucks per tire and lifetime refills if needed for those tires so I did it.
Can't say it helped/can't say it hurt anything. I certainly didn't feel anything different but it was nice to know that the weather changes would naot affect the pressure in my tires once set

·
Registered
940 Posts
Nitrogen is awesome for racing tires as it doesn't expand/contract under heat, this is where it's application shines.[/b]
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but a first year chemistry class will tell you that all gases expand and contract as temperatures change in a closed system.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen molecules, so nitrogen seeps out more slowly from tires than air; nitrogen resists heat buildup better than air, which contains moisture; and nitrogen reduces oxidation, which can damage the tire from the inside out, proponents say. Nitrogen is an inert gas, so there are no safety or environmental issues.

According to what I've seen, the tire temperature difference in race compound tires will cause up to a 5 PSI swing in air vs less than 1 PSI in nitrogen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen molecules, so nitrogen seeps out more slowly from tires than air; nitrogen resists heat buildup better than air, which contains moisture; and nitrogen reduces oxidation, which can damage the tire from the inside out, proponents say. Nitrogen is an inert gas, so there are no safety or environmental issues.

According to what I've seen, the tire temperature difference in race compound tires will cause up to a 5 PSI swing in air vs less than 1 PSI in nitrogen.[/b]

Sooo, looking at both the pros and cons so far, if the price is right and it can even save on gas, nitrogen seems like the way to go no???

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

According to what I've seen, the tire temperature difference in race compound tires will cause up to a 5 PSI swing in air vs less than 1 PSI in nitrogen.[/b]
Back to chemistry class there skippy! The ideal gas law: PV = nRT, states that as temperature of the gas increases, so must pressure/volume. Oxygen has a specific heat capacity of ~0.91 versus 1.04 for nitrogen, so you're right oxygen does heat up faster than nitrogen a little. However, if you look at a periodic table of elements:

Nitrogen is SMALLER than oxygen. Nitrogen is also NOT an inert gas, and can quite easily be reacted with other things; only the gases on the very right hand side (the "noble" gases) are inert.

Nitrogen is NOT worth using in your street tyres.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Back to chemistry class there skippy! The ideal gas law: PV = nRT, states that as temperature of the gas increases, so must pressure/volume. Oxygen has a specific heat capacity of ~0.91 versus 1.04 for nitrogen, so you're right oxygen does heat up faster than nitrogen a little. However, if you look at a periodic table of elements:

Nitrogen is SMALLER than oxygen. Nitrogen is also NOT an inert gas, and can quite easily be reacted with other things; only the gases on the very right hand side (the "noble" gases) are inert.

Nitrogen is NOT worth using in your street tyres.[/b]
DJ LOGIC! :laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.