Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Blacked Out

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have a decision to make, and I need some advice!

About 2 weeks ago, I decided to nightshade some lenses on my car. I completely blacked out the sidemarkers, and applied a mild tint to the tails.

I love the look on the sidemarkers, but was afraid to black out the tails due to the other brightwork on the car (door trim, emblems, wheels, etc.). The current tint on the tails is mild (I don't have a pic of this at the moment & it's raining outside), but there were some application issues that mean I'll have to re-do the tails this weekend.

My question to all of you...

Do I keep the same mild tint on the tails or black them out?

Here is what it looks like pre-tint.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would not do it just because my car will be a cop magnet. On my last car I did it with some aftermarket tails, but it not a common car so cops didnt know if it was OEM or not.I see mazda6 almost everyday so I would not want to get tickets.. a light tint is good but when it's too dark or ''flat' you cant see shit so its not safe. On mine I polished them so it was mirror looking.

I would tint it mild, put lots of clear coats, sand them with very fine grade paper, and polishe it to make them shine like mirror.

Reactions: p-dro

·
Registered
659 Posts
Dark tails look good if you've got the right reflectors/lights (not actually a tint) but it's hard to do right.

I agree with Love; the sick part of that is there's this HOT blacked out Charger I see sometimes on the way to work . . . with someone stopped. It's a cop car that actually has tinted windows and darkened tails. Freakin CT doesn't require cops to have municipal plates.

·
Registered
476 Posts
d-pro, it looks good when it's not too dark! Did you put some clearcoats? and poliched the tail after the tint? to make them shinny.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
d-pro, it looks good when it's not too dark! Did you put some clearcoats? and poliched the tail after the tint? to make them shinny.
Yep!

My process:
- Remove tails
- Wipe tails with a damp cloth
- Lightly sanded tails with 1000 grit sandpaper
- Cleaned tails with soapy water, then dry
- Applied 2 fairly heavy coats of tinting spray
- Allowed tint to dry, then applied 4 coats of clearcoat
- Allowed clearcoat to dry, then sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper until smooth
- Cleaned with soapy water
- Applied polish... and done!

When I applied the polish, I put quite a bit of elbow grease into it to bring out the shine.

I will probably need to give them another good pass with the 2000 grit and polish to get some of the edges more clear, but overall, it's a pretty easy process. Just take your time with each step.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice! your car is looking great. Im waiting my ''2.5'' badge you should do the same and be in our i4 2.5 club hehehe

·
Registered
659 Posts
Nice! your car is looking great. Im waiting my ''2.5'' badge you should do the same and be in our i4 2.5 club hehehe
(slaps forehead) oh my god, what have I started.

It's supposed to be a joke . . . for when I turbo it ;)

Lately, I've been trying to figure out how to fit a 3.6L H6 engine in there and add a mechanical rear differential :huh:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hehe your joke will be the new trend

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yep!

My process:
- Remove tails
- Wipe tails with a damp cloth
- Lightly sanded tails with 1000 grit sandpaper
- Cleaned tails with soapy water, then dry
- Applied 2 fairly heavy coats of tinting spray
- Allowed tint to dry, then applied 4 coats of clearcoat
- Allowed clearcoat to dry, then sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper until smooth
- Cleaned with soapy water
- Applied polish... and done!

When I applied the polish, I put quite a bit of elbow grease into it to bring out the shine.

I will probably need to give them another good pass with the 2000 grit and polish to get some of the edges more clear, but overall, it's a pretty easy process. Just take your time with each step.
You're braver than I am. I'd have gotten replacements first, but that gets expensive quick.

Suggestion:
Hit the LED lens on the spoiler; it's a giveaway that the tails are different. It's LED so it shouldn't have a visibility effect.

I think Chevy has the best color for 'tinted' lenses. The Trailblazer had great dark red tails.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would use lamin-x or something similar if I want to tint mine, just because Im sure that the tails cost a lot to replace. btw nice tails I like it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah Laminex is nice ebcause all you have to do is peel off. The problem is our tails are really hard to laminex due to the sharp bend..at least for me to do it. I did the side markers and tried the tails but coudlent get the whole paper around the curve without a crease.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a website that will sell nearly any OEM part for the car you want. To get the complete set of halogen tails will run around $175 + shipping.

I think I'd like to upgrade to LEDs at some point. That will cost around $230 for just the outer LED portions.

The website is Mazda Wholesale Parts

As far as the lens on the spoiler, I was going to do that. I either need to get one of those special angled screwdrivers or remove the spoiler to get to it. Since I didn't have the cool screwdriver, I attempted to remove the spoiler... but it was held on by some sort of adhesive that I didn't want to mess with. So, I'll get a screwdriver!

·
Registered
921 Posts
p-dro,
When you get the spoiler lens off, would you mind taking pictures of the LED board? I have an idea for it and need to know how many LEDs and how it's set up so I can decide if i want to proceed.

~Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
p-dro,
When you get the spoiler lens off, would you mind taking pictures of the LED board? I have an idea for it and need to know how many LEDs and how it's set up so I can decide if i want to proceed.

~Mike
Will do!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts