Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Reading Topic: NHSTA talks about 8/15, 8/23 HID ban

I'm glad I got mine when I did. Thanks, Liteswap!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Replying to Topic 'NHSTA talks about 8/15, 8/23 HID ban'

So, basically they may be sold in the future but they would need to meet Fed. requirements ?? And, does it mean cops can ticket any cars that have conversion kits that are non-compliance?? That is what I took from reading it, I may read into it again for reference.

·
Registered
461 Posts

This whole thing is retarded...why don't they go after the guys with the cheap immitation lights that actually REDUCE visibility, instead of INCREASING it?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

how would one know if it's a conversion kit or not if it has the same projection as standard OEM HID headlights?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

They would have to know that the 6 does not come with HIDs.

-SC3

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

But there is a good chance your local law enforcement types won't.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Replying to Topic 'NHSTA talks about 8/15, 8/23 HID ban'

Originally posted by tucker

This whole thing is retarded...why don't they go after the guys with the cheap immitation lights that actually REDUCE visibility, instead of INCREASING it?[/b]
Because those lights don't blind other drivers.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Guys, most of you seem to be missing the point. You were ALWAYS illegal if you did an HID conversion. There's nothing new there. The feds are just making it tougher (supposedly) to SELL HID's.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

As I stated in another thread, I think the NHTSA initiated this "ban" due to the mounting consumer complaints about HIDs. Fact is, the average driver in the US isn't going to install an aftermarket kit, and those that do cannot amount to the number of complaints the NHTSA receives. Those complaints must be coming from OEM HIDs, like BMW and now Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, etc. So I ask the question: What will the NHTSA do when the complaints don't stop coming in? I think the next logical move is to go after OEM HIDs, sad as that is. Let's take bets on how long before HIDs are no longer offered in this country, period. That would sure make enforcement easy. :sarc

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I find the Acuras and s2000s more blinding than BMW, Mercedes, and other luxury car makes.

-SC3

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

i just hate people that drive around with there high beams on all the time....that's so much more worse then HIDs it's not even funny!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Aren't Day Running Lights high beams?

-SC3

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

i dunno....they definitely aren't blinding....i thought DRL's were just parking lights that were on.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Uh no, DRL's are definitly not high beams. All it means is your headlights are required to be on.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: NHSTA talks about 8/15, 8/23 HID ban

Some cars run DRLs using a lower output of the high beam during the day,... I too hate DRLs and people who leave their high beams on or mis-aim their lights.. much bigger problem in my ipinion than HID

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Ah alright. Definitly not full strength high-beams though.

And yes, they are... although admittedly, HID's are distracting. I love being behind them but not in front of them ;)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I drove by an Audi A4 yesterday and found there was alot of glare from the HIDs. Unless I'm wrong, I didn't think they had the same bi-xenon system that BMW has so it couldn't have been high beams. Maybe I should file a complaint with the NHTSA. :sarc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts