Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flat Rock, Michigan - The 2005 Ford Mustang, which was first shown as a concept vehicle at the 2003 North American International Auto Show, will be built at AutoAlliance International (AAI) in Flat Rock, Michigan, Ford announced.  

As part of the transformation toward more flexible manufacturing operations at Ford's North American assembly plants, Ford and AAI are investing more than $644 million in new equipment, including adding a second line in the body shop to accommodate the new Mustang.  

Both lines have the capacity to run two platforms and run four models or body styles off each platform. While Mustang and Mazda6 will run on separate lines in the body shop, they will be produced on the same trim, chassis and final lines. "We will have the ability to change the mix, volume and options of products – all with minimal investment and changeover loss," said Phil Spender, AAI president.  

AAI will be among the first wave of Ford plants to install next-generation flexible body systems. Four Ford assembly plants that will build the new 2004 Ford F-150 and the new 2005 Ford Freestyle and Ford Five Hundred will be the first to have new flexible production systems installed. Over the next decade, Ford expects to save up to $2 billion because its flexible system will cost 10 percent to 15 percent less than traditional systems, with an added 50 percent savings in changeover costs.  

Production of the all-new Mustang, which is expected to add a second shift of employment at the plant, will begin in fall 2004.  

Established in 1986 as a joint venture between Ford and Mazda, AAI currently employs about 1,900 hourly and salaried employees. AAI currently builds the all-new Mazda6, with class leading driving dynamics and performance.  

Since its introduction in April of 1964, Mustang has been built at the Dearborn Assembly Plant, where Henry Ford produced the Model A and developed the Rouge complex, the world's largest and oldest industrial icons. Constructed in 1917, Dearborn Assembly Plant will be torn down as part of the Ford Rouge Center redevelopment to make way for the new Dearborn Truck Plant, which is scheduled to begin production of the all-new Ford F-150 in mid 2004.  [/b]
Looks like Mustang and 6 will be produced side by side.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Next Mustang to built in Ford/Mazda plant in Michigan

The Mustang will not be built on the same platform as the 6. The 6 uses a transverse engine mount, and can be set up for FWD and AWD. The Mustang will be RWD using a longitudinal engine mount.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Humph, I didn't even read it. Now I have to.

As Kenoka states, the '6 and Mustang will be on different platforms:

Both lines have the capacity to run two platforms and run four models or body styles off each platform. While Mustang and Mazda6 will run on separate lines in the body shop, they will be produced on the same trim, chassis and final lines[/b]

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

No, they will just be assembled on the same lines.

While Mustang and Mazda6 will run on separate lines in the body shop, they will be produced on the same trim, chassis and final lines.[/b]
Ford is trying to show how flexable the assembly line is.

"We will have the ability to change the mix, volume and options of products – all with minimal investment and changeover loss,[/b]

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Next Mustang to built in Ford/Mazda plant in Michigan'

Originally posted by LBJay

No, they will just be assembled on the same lines.

While Mustang and Mazda6 will run on separate lines in the body shop, they will be produced on the same trim, chassis and final lines.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Who wrote this article? I had to read that several times before I could understand.

·
Registered
980 Posts

The Mustang can be built in outer space for all I care it still would not really interest me. I think the new Mustang is ugly...although the coupe is not that bad (still would not buy it though).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Originally posted by kenoka

You talkin' to me?[/b]
Yup, I was.[/b][/quote]

Did you notice that I said it will "not" be built on the same platform? Looks like the article isn't all you didn't read. :hoho

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

You talkin' to me?[/b]
Yup, I was.[/b][/quote]

Did you notice that I said it will "not" be built on the same platform? Looks like the article isn't all you didn't read. :hoho [/b][/quote]

That's what I said. Perhaps you should read the posts as well. :p

·
Registered
178 Posts

Hell no!!! the new one of 05 is on the Lincoln LS frame. Just info to every body that was at the NY auto show the car was drove in to the show with 18s on then they put the 20s on. All the picks you see in the mags are with the 20s. 18s are what is goning to be on the car.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts