Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank CARB (California Air Resources Board) for the anality of US emission standards. Automakers don't want to make 2 standards so they bow to the single biggest market in the US - California. California knows this so they think they can push their arrogant and progressive ideas off on everyone.
Yes because we all hate progress! We don't want things to be better tomorrow than they are today.>:)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I wonder if this could be the next gen 6 or if Mazda is planning on a new flagship sedan or SUV above the 6? They mention “large platform” .... but that could mean the RWD platform is large compared to the Miata, not necessarily a ‘large” car.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2019/06/17/next-generation-lexus-rc-coupe-to-use-mazda-platform-engine/

Japanese website Best Car reports that a potential Mazda & Toyota platform-sharing partnership could bring a second-generation Lexus RC coupe built on a Mazda platform and powered by a Mazda engine.

Rewinding it back, Jalopnik discovered a rare, out-of-the-blue automotive announcement buried in Mazda’s Fiscal Year March 2019 financial results, stating that a new rear-wheel-drive architecture, gasoline-powered Skyactiv-X inline 6 and diesel-powered Skyactiv-D counterpart were in development.

Best Car builds on this news, suggesting platform-sharing with Toyota and Lexus — from the translated article:

The collaboration between Mazda and Toyota is also planned to be expanded to Lexus vehicles.

The model change (that) is scheduled for next year’s IS is being developed as a V6 engine installation model based on the newly-developed TNGA platform (from Toyota’s) Crown, and the next IS is a collaboration platform with Mazda that is equipped with a straight 6 engine.
Using the literal translation, the fourth-generation Lexus IS should launch in 2020 as a TNGA-platform vehicle powered by a Toyota/Lexus V6 (thankfully, no mention of the BMW inline 6-powered IS). Following this, the fifth-gen successor would launch sometime after 2026 and use the upcoming Mazda RWD Large Architecture and offering the Mazda Skyactiv-X inline 6.

Best Car takes this one step further, suggesting that next-generation RC coupe in 2022 would be the first Mazda/Lexus collaboration. This would put to rest the idea that the coupe would be cancelled, though there are so many moving parts to this rumor it’s difficult to see the truth.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Mazda pretty much confirms that there is a in line 6 RWD vehicle coming soon 2020/21 to push Mazda into the premium sector. Now will it be a upgraded Mazda 6 or an unused model coming back online is the question.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder how Mazda's time table is layed out sometimes. They seem somewhat scattered with the release of new models, and powertrains. It took them what, 5 years to finally have a production ready diesel in the CX-5? My question is, after the heavy refresh of the 6 for 2018 MY, do you think we will see AWD added before a complete redesign? I am hoping for AWD, mainly because I don't need snow tires all the time, but AWD would be nice on some occasions. Also after driving the new Mazda3 I am somewhat disappointed in the interior controls. I mainly use steering wheel controls for everything, and in the daytime I couldn't even tell what buttons did what on the wheel, it was very hard to read and see. If or when the 6 gets redesigned I have a feeling they would update it with the latest and greatest infotainment and gadgets that the 3 received which would almost be a step back for me. Also the 2.5 Turbo in the 6 has been around for several years now with no major issues, having a proven motor is nicer than a new I6 or motor that hasn't been on the market for some time. Here's to hoping AWD is on its way sooner than later.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wonder how Mazda's time table is layed out sometimes. They seem somewhat scattered with the release of new models, and powertrains. It took them what, 5 years to finally have a production ready diesel in the CX-5? My question is, after the heavy refresh of the 6 for 2018 MY, do you think we will see AWD added before a complete redesign? I am hoping for AWD, mainly because I don't need snow tires all the time, but AWD would be nice on some occasions. Also after driving the new Mazda3 I am somewhat disappointed in the interior controls. I mainly use steering wheel controls for everything, and in the daytime I couldn't even tell what buttons did what on the wheel, it was very hard to read and see. If or when the 6 gets redesigned I have a feeling they would update it with the latest and greatest infotainment and gadgets that the 3 received which would almost be a step back for me. Also the 2.5 Turbo in the 6 has been around for several years now with no major issues, having a proven motor is nicer than a new I6 or motor that hasn't been on the market for some time. Here's to hoping AWD is on its way sooner than later.
To each his own, as the new Mazda3 switch gear instantly made the interior buttons on my Mazda6 feel dated. In fact, if I were shopping for a new Mazda sedan right now, I'd probably go for a fully loaded 3 over a Sport or Touring 2019 6. However, for me I'd still prefer the performance of 2.5T, the extra space, and the ventilated seats on the GTR 6 since I can afford it.

Honestly, Mazda's constant updating is both a blessing and a curse. Mazda doesn't need a full redesign to add major improvements to their cars that keeps them competitive;(Which is why adding AWD to the 6 so late in the cycle doesn't seem outlandish) at the same time, it's difficult to figure out when Mazda actually plans to do a full redesign.

Who knows, Mazda could be developing the new larger RWD platform to make the next-gen 6, CX-5, and CX-9 all RWD.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To each his own, as the new Mazda3 switch gear instantly made the interior buttons on my Mazda6 feel dated. In fact, if I were shopping for a new Mazda sedan right now, I'd probably go for a fully loaded 3 over a Sport or Touring 2019 6. However, for me I'd still prefer the performance of 2.5T, the extra space, and the ventilated seats on the GTR 6 since I can afford it.

Honestly, Mazda's constant updating is both a blessing and a curse. Mazda doesn't need a full redesign to add major improvements to their cars that keeps them competitive;(Which is why adding AWD to the 6 so late in the cycle doesn't seem outlandish) at the same time, it's difficult to figure out when Mazda actually plans to do a full redesign.

Who knows, Mazda could be developing the new larger RWD platform to make the next-gen 6, CX-5, and CX-9 all RWD.

You said that perfectly. Don't get me wrong there are parts of the new 3 that I love. I guess the steering wheel controls would be an annoyance, I'm sure I could get used to it. After driving the new 3 and the 2.5T 6 back to back there is no question I would take the 6 for more power. I always liked the slightly larger sedans. Adding AWD to the 6 you can buy right now would have me completely sold. Mazda currently has the best bang for the buck and is still very competitive in its market. (As competitive as possible considering how crappy sedan sales are)

·
Registered
264 Posts
You said that perfectly. Don't get me wrong there are parts of the new 3 that I love. I guess the steering wheel controls would be an annoyance, I'm sure I could get used to it. After driving the new 3 and the 2.5T 6 back to back there is no question I would take the 6 for more power. I always liked the slightly larger sedans. Adding AWD to the 6 you can buy right now would have me completely sold. Mazda currently has the best bang for the buck and is still very competitive in its market. (As competitive as possible considering how crappy sedan sales are)

If you can afford the extra $5-7K, Q50 is the best bang for the buck, 3.0T with AWD

41 - 52 of 52 Posts