Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazda has announced their intentions for a new larger architecture that will be RWD and be powered by a longitudinal inline 6cyl engine in their bid to continue going upmarket. Rumors are starting that the Mazda 6 will be using this new architecture for it's next generation sedans. There is also talk of a 48V electric system being developed as well.

Read the full article here

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is exciting. I love the Mazda brand. Unfortunately I have put off my Mazda6 purchase and now I want to wait for this. Or maybe I just buy one now and trade it in when the new one comes out. Haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is exciting. I love the Mazda brand. Unfortunately I have put off my Mazda6 purchase and now I want to wait for this. Or maybe I just buy one now and trade it in when the new one comes out. Haha
As much as I love my 2018 6, I'll be test driving this new 6 for-sure.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure Mazda is going to turn the 6 into a completely different car. Since '03, people (me included) have bought the 6 because it's affordable, FWD, fun to drive, and the best looking in its class.

To suddenly make it a legitimate luxury sports sedan (I6, RWD), it's going to be dead in the water. People shopping for a brand new BMW or Merc aren't going to buy it simply because it's a Mazda6, and previous 6 owners aren't going to buy it because it's not a fun, affordable family sedan anymore. They'd shed their existing customer base and not attract a new one.

It sounds like a new model is coming out, and that's pretty exciting. But to call it a 6 is a bad idea, I think.

·
Registered
941 Posts
This will not help Mazda North America. These must be aimed at some other market, Mazda can't sell enough 6's to even claim any success in this market, never mind an all new upscale car.

Major problem #2 : This is a no sell in the British market as well as bigger motors = huge taxes/fees.

Major problem #3 : Really, competing in the luxury segment that has been owned by BMW/Audi/MB/etc for 40+ years?

This article seems like a Mazda dream sequence. None of it makes sense. Markets are pushing to downsize engines not make them bigger. This car is 20yrs too late at a minimum. If they have ANY sense they will focus on electrics, although competing with Telsa is laughable.

·
Administrator
8,419 Posts
I'll believe it... when I see it.

Exactly what I said when Mazda announced the SkyActiv-D was coming to the 6...

...6 years ago...

Not to mention the return of the RX-7. That "rumor" has been floating around since at least this century...

·
Registered
941 Posts
I didn't even realize that article claimed a new diesel is in the works. A new diesel would be DOA. They (new diesel engine powered cars) are being banned in the EU by 2025. North America will be right behind. This is not Mazda's dream, it would be their nightmare and end if they try it.

Never mind the fact that US sized/styled cars are not wanted in Japan.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Upscale... luxury... these words mean only one thing and that is the word expensive. In our local place, I don't see any Mazda 6. Even in major cities, I have encountered one or two Mazda 6. There are more chances to see a Camry and Accord but not a Mazda 6. Even BMW, Audi, and Mercedes Benz are more visible.

This particular model might become "extinct" if the price will go up. I mean, almost all people that I've encountered would say that at the price I paid for this car is already equivalent with an SUV. Some even questioned me "why" did I buy this instead of an SUV.

I could almost hear them, if ever I buy this new model, why did I buy this instead of other brands like I mentioned above.
I'll believe it... when I see it.

Exactly what I said when Mazda announced the SkyActiv-D was coming to the 6...

...6 years ago...

Not to mention the return of the RX-7. That "rumor" has been floating around since at least this century...
I have that particular model, SkyActiv-D. However, since you aren't seeing it right now I know you won't believe it.

Kidding aside, why is it that the diesel variant is not available on the US market? I might be wrong, but someone said that it isn't available.

·
Administrator
8,419 Posts
Kidding aside, why is it that the diesel variant is not available on the US market? I might be wrong, but someone said that it isn't available.
For years, Mazda had been promising the SkyActiv-D for the North American market, as early as when the 3rd-gen was released here, in 2013. Time passed, and nothing. Then there was rumors that the diesel variant couldn't meet CARB standards, not unless it was severely underpowered and/or had poor fuel economy.

As of now, it's still expected for the 6, supposedly, along with AWD.

But at this point, why should they even bother? The diesel CX-5 that's soon-to-be-available has little, if any, fuel economy gain compared to the base 2.2L. It's horsepower is lower than the 2.2, and the all-almighty diesel torque (290 lbs-ft) is LOWER than the 2.5T which became an option on the CX-5 this year. It also needs urea to pass emissions (an added cost and inconvenience), and it's also a HUGE price jump, over $42K on a Signature! At that price, they'd better throw in the Vaseline for free...

Knowing that, it wouldn't surprise me that the 6 diesel will get maybe 1-2 MPG better than the base engine, still produce less torque than the 2.5T, still have the traditional diesel noise, smell, and horrendous cold-starting properties, and will send a 6 price above $38K!

To me the D doesn't stand for diesel, it stands for Dumbass, which is what I'd call the buyer/owner.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The old Mazda 929 was rear-wheel drive so in keeping with Mazda thinking a new "9" kinda makes sense.

Plus Mazda hasn't had their marquee "luxury" sedan since the Millenia, discontinued in 2002. But I agree with what's being said here, a luxury RWD Japanese sedan is about 20 years too late. Maybe they could use it as a test bed for new battery tech, but I just don't see it selling well here or anywhere else in the world.

They just need to keep selling CXs like hotcakes so they can continue to fund their racing efforts.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The only thing that one of their biggest markets, North America, are buying right now are SUV,s/Crossovers/Trucks.

Diesel is dead in the passenger car world, they are just refusing to tell us publicly so they can sell them until they are legislated not to be sold. The North American diesel market has gone off the rails after the VW scandal. No manufacturer is gonna take the chance selling a small diesel here, not enough sales to justify it. Even VW took a tremendous hit after Dieselgate so a small volume produced like Mazda would be ruined by something like that.

We'll never see another rotoary engine driving the wheels of a car just like this fantasy will never reach the street. This is a recurring theme of Mazda putting out "news" that is meant to give them a boost in search ratings. Anyone that has followed Mazda for more than 5yrs can smell the BS across the ocean already.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the 3 replaced the 323, the 6 replaced the 626; so.... we could have a Mazda 9
Just what I was thinking. It would be silly to 'upgrade' the Mazda6 but would make sense to offer a new flagship with a Mazda9. However, with the 6 not selling terribly well, it makes you wonder if they really see a market for a full size car. Unless... there might eventually be plans to also use this chassis for a Mazda CX90?

·
Registered
821 Posts
To me the D doesn't stand for diesel, it stands for Dumbass, which is what I'd call the buyer/owner.
You're calling me that? That hurts...

Lower power and/torque but more pricey than the gasoline variant doesn't make sense. So yes I agree, it's dumb.

And so I've heard that gasoline is generally cheaper in your place so why buy a diesel? On this side of the world, gasoline is a bit expensive for about a dollar or more per liter. That will be $4 or more for a gallon of gasoline. Diesel is generally cheaper by $0.20 - $0.30 per liter.

Someone mentioned about the VW scandal, and so that makes it difficult to introduce a diesel car. This reminds me, why not just bring over here all those Jetta? I'm not saying I'm not concerned with the emissions, but Jetta isn't available anymore here but instead they replaced it with Santana that is made in China.

Anyways, I do hope this car will last me for 20 years. I'm over a year and half now, so that will make it 18.

·
Administrator
8,419 Posts
You're calling me that? That hurts...
Present company excluded, of course! ;) But you see my point...
And so I've heard that gasoline is generally cheaper in your place so why buy a diesel? On this side of the world, gasoline is a bit expensive for about a dollar or more per liter. That will be $4 or more for a gallon of gasoline. Diesel is generally cheaper by $0.20 - $0.30 per liter.
30 cents per liter is equivalent to $1.13 per gallon. That's a HUGE difference in price, and would make diesel much more appealing. However, you're right, gasoline locally is about $2.80 per gallon (or 74 cents per liter) while diesel is about $3.19 ( 85 cents per liter).

·
Registered
250 Posts
To put things in perspective, the lowest price for regular gas where I live (QC, Canada) is currently 1.289$ per litre or 4.879$ per gallon.

And diesel is 1.329$ per litre or 5.031$ per gallon.

Those prices are in CA$, not US$. 1 CA$ is currently 0.74 US$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
This particular model might become "extinct" if the price will go up. I mean, almost all people that I've encountered would say that at the price I paid for this car is already equivalent with an SUV. Some even questioned me "why" did I buy this instead of an SUV.
Probably for the same reason most of us bought the 6... because SUV's (if you can even call them that) are usually overpriced, boring to drive, and simply being pushed by marketing gimmicks/trends. Some of us actually want a good driving sedan AND enjoy driving. I prefer the looks and the drive of a sedan/coupe to any SUV/crossover. Some people just like cars...too bad the numbers are decreasing. I've always owned some type of 'sportier-ish' sedan, and I always will as long as one still exists!

01 IS300
06 TLs
07 G35s
09 A4
10 Altima (gap filler, not the least bit sporty but still a sedan :)
18 M6

"America's love for crossovers" has got to be the most annoying phrase in the car industry this past decade. :grin2::grin2:

I think the dealers push them more than customers actually want them.

Now don't get me wrong, we own a CX-5... but not because it's what 'I' wanted to drive. :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I agree with the comment re SUV's; glorified station wagons, to my way of thinking. They are convenient though.

Re fuel, here in Vancouver... the most expensive place in North America for fuel - $US 4.77 / US gallon for E10 regular gasoline. 😞 . Diesel is a bit cheaper here on the west coast.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Present company excluded, of course! ;) But you see my point...

30 cents per liter is equivalent to $1.13 per gallon. That's a HUGE difference in price, and would make diesel much more appealing. However, you're right, gasoline locally is about $2.80 per gallon (or 74 cents per liter) while diesel is about $3.19 ( 85 cents per liter).

Must be nice. I paid $4.15/Gal in Central California yesterday.:frown2: Diesel has about a 10-20cpg upward cost difference here versus regular unleaded

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't have the complete spec of the US bound 2.2 to see what detuning Mazda did, but in Japan the engine makes 190PS(185HP) and 450nm(331LB/ft of Torque), and makes up almost 70% of KF CX5 sales without the use of Urea injection (the only Diesel engine allowed on the road without it-I believe).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts