Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK
had my car flashed last week
My sticker on the driver door jam reads:
L38K
18881-C

I'm not 100% sure what that means or how it differs from the sticky post I printed and gave to the service manager last week but he did say the info above was outdated.

The other bit of info I'll add is that my car IS NOT SLOWER
It did take about 30 minutes of driving over the past few days to let it re learn but since I always driver her like I stole her...she's back and just as good as before.
It doesn't "snap" when accelerating like before but a smooth powerful pull through the R's now.
I'm not upset I did this.

Ron

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I like the snap...when that turbo kickin comes and pulls me back, it feels awesome.

·
Registered
104 Posts
After 6 weeks of suffering from a pathetic reflash, I went to my dealer (for oil change). I asked him whether they've received any updates and they said none. I will check if I have any stickers on my door jam. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
273 Posts
My local dealership plays dumb and says they have no way of knowing what version my car has and what version their computer has.

Oil change is coming up, I'll ask them to plug me in then.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'm lucky that Mike from Tom Masano Mazda looked at the print out and said "no, I have a newer one that that"
I sure was glad he was knowledgeable.

Service was great.
He sat down with me and the tech that worked on my car and explained all that was done for the re-flash and to correct my CEL
I was rather impressed.

At this point, I still say that there is no suffering on my part or my car's that it was flashed with this newer version.
It feels really good at this point and keeps getting better.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Up until yesterday I had resolved myself to not getting the flash. We have 93 octane here and I hadn't had any powerloss. That was until yesterday. A couple of weird tick tick tick noises and my power was gone. Simple restart brought me back good as new but I was left wondering if there was a real problem with the original ECU setup. Took the plunge and got the reflash at Koons Mazda in Marlow Heights, MD. Johnny Booze (that's his real name) was the manager and he was cool and indicated that aftermarket parts (like an intercooler) wouldn't be a problem - good sign.

My ecu was reflashed with file # SW-L38KEC000.

I was going off of a previous thread indicating a file SW-L38JEB000 as the latest version and a good reflash in that significant reduction was not observed post flash. It seems mine was a later version of this one judging by the lettering.

I can say that the SOTP feeling is a little smoother onset of power but she pulls as hard as before maybe harder. I was really getting on it to test and got crossways a couple of times... ;) I am happy with the result and feel more confident in the reflashed ECU as in, they wouldn't issue a recall if there wasn't a problem. That powerloss thing made me nervous.

I didn't find any sticker on my doorjam. Where should I be looking?
The repair order said "reflashed PCM xxB326FX .3..." I had to ask for the file version used for the reflash.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm pretty sure my dealer snuck in the reflash at my first oil change about 6 weeks ago even though they said nothing, paperwork shows nothing and there's no sticker.

Car has not had powerloss since and feels a bit softer on the bottom end with a bit more top end pull.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got mine reflashed to the latest yesterday, but did not get the file number to pass on..and nothing in the door jam. It shifts much smoother from 1st to 2nd now. SOTP did not notice any degredation in power.

I like the snap...when that turbo kickin comes and pulls me back, it feels awesome.
[/b]
How do you like the Mazdaspeed CAI? Any appreciable SOTP difference?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
On my invoice it states:

Recall has been done already but has a update avaible
Reprogrammed PCM

I'll have to drive it some more but I haven't noticed anything different so far except I feel it pulls stronger in 1st and 2nd, but that could just be in my head.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK
had my car flashed last week
My sticker on the driver door jam reads:
L38K
18881-C

I'm not 100% sure what that means or how it differs from the sticky post I printed and gave to the service manager last week but he did say the info above was outdated.

The other bit of info I'll add is that my car IS NOT SLOWER
It did take about 30 minutes of driving over the past few days to let it re learn but since I always driver her like I stole her...she's back and just as good as before.
It doesn't "snap" when accelerating like before but a smooth powerful pull through the R's now.
I'm not upset I did this.
Ron
[/b]

Car is getting stronger and stronger as I drive it
1st gear is very nice, I think better than before.
Still no "snap" into power but a very nice strong "consistent" pull through the RPM's

·
Registered
49 Posts
With a turbo car your supposed to feel the snap and the power of the turbo...Its called g-force. If I wanted a smooth power delivery then i would have gone with a NA car. Reflash sucks and the stock ECU is crap on this car. Wait till the cobb reprogram comes out.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
With a turbo car your supposed to feel the snap and the power of the turbo. If I wanted a smooth power delivery then i woulda have gone with a NA car. Reflash sucks
[/b]
funny, you are the only person that likes turbo lag.

·
Registered
49 Posts
funny, you are the only person that likes turbo lag.
[/b]

Funny your the only person that doesnt understand that the Mazda has a small turbo with no lag...you cant notice it...thats how you get full power at 2500rpm....

And for all you that like this smooth power delivery....did you not know that any turbo car has some lag??? obviously not

EVO..STI...WRX...SPEED 3,6 all have some lag with the evo having the greatet amount due to the biggest turbo and the mazdas with no lag because the turbo is so small that it loses power at 5500 rpm.....u cant have best of both worlds with this stuff.

·
Registered
273 Posts
With a turbo car your supposed to feel the snap and the power of the turbo...Its called g-force. If I wanted a smooth power delivery then i would have gone with a NA car. Reflash sucks and the stock ECU is crap on this car. Wait till the cobb reprogram comes out.
[/b]
:huh: Huhh? Nothing about this comment makes sense to me.

1. Because you have a turbo car does not mean you're "supposd" to feel anything. Turbos have been on diesel engines forever. Turbos are just one of many options for making more power, "snap" not required.

2. It's not called g-force. You're referring to acceleration and g-force a unit we can use to measure it. But any sudden snap is not g-force its just a change in acceleration. There's a difference.

3. NA cars can have non-linear power delivery just as well as turbo cars can have linear power delivery.

4. Reflash fixed our powerloss problem didnt it?

5. I'm greatful for our ECU, it means we get a nice car with lots of potential for a lesser car price.

*BASH* *BASH*

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Funny your the only person that doesnt understand that the Mazda has a small turbo with no lag...you cant notice it...thats how you get full power at 2500rpm....

And for all you that like this smooth power delivery....did you not know that any turbo car has some lag??? obviously not
EVO..STI...WRX...SPEED 3,6 all have some lag with the evo having the greatet amount due to the biggest turbo and the mazdas with no lag because the turbo is so small that it loses power at 5500 rpm.....u cant have best of both worlds with this stuff.
[/b]
no turbo lag?? drive a speed6 and legacy back to back. Theres nothing below 3k rpms. People like you entertain me, stupid people thinking they are smart. lol

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
2. It's not called g-force. You're referring to acceleration and g-force a unit we can use to measure it. But any sudden snap is not g-force its just a change in acceleration. There's a difference.
[/b]
Correct, it's not called g-force. The proper term for the rate of change of acceleration is "jerk"

from http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/jerk.html:

What is the term used for the third derivative of position?

It is well known that the first derivative of position (symbol x) with respect to time is velocity (symbol v) and the second is acceleration (symbol a). It is a little less well known that the third derivative, i.e. the rate of change of acceleration, is technically known as jerk (symbol j). Jerk is a vector but may also be used loosely as a scalar quantity because there is not a separate term for the magnitude of jerk analogous to speed for magnitude of velocity.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Correct, it's not called g-force. The proper term for the rate of change of acceleration is "jerk"

from http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/jerk.html:

What is the term used for the third derivative of position?

It is well known that the first derivative of position (symbol x) with respect to time is velocity (symbol v) and the second is acceleration (symbol a). It is a little less well known that the third derivative, i.e. the rate of change of acceleration, is technically known as jerk (symbol j). Jerk is a vector but may also be used loosely as a scalar quantity because there is not a separate term for the magnitude of jerk analogous to speed for magnitude of velocity.
[/b]
Its interesting that this definition would refer to a vector as loosley being used as a scalar, when in reality a vector IS a scalar.

Hmm.. But yeah you're right, I've heard the term jerk and jolt used to describe change in acceleration.

In various projects I've worked on at work that were strongly influenced by physics (simulator software development), I've more often heard the term "jolt" than "jerk" but IMO, the term "change in acceleration" is most common.

But to play devils advocate, most of us are only Physics minors and Computer Engineering majors.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Any sudden rushes or jerks are not a good thing. It means your power curve is shitty.

A well tuned car has a smooth power band, you'll never feel a sudden change in power from one instant to the next.

This is not to say you won't feel the push in your seat when you're hauling ass. It's just a lot of people will thing something "feels" faster, when in reality, it's slower. It's just because it's messed up their power band. It's easy to notice CHANGES in power.

A vector is not a scalar. It has a scalar component.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts