Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachmentid=15695]Well, after months of research, tons of conversations, and any MANY hours of scouring threads on this forum, I finally found the car I wanted: a 2003 Lapis Blue Mazda6s, MTX, sport package, black leather, Bose upgrade and heated mirrors/seats. Found it on Autotrader two states away, and was lucky to find a seller of remarkable character: I now have all maintenance records of a VERY well-cared-for car. And even the original window sticker!

I had a blast driving it home, and I just LOVE THIS CAR!

It has more power than I expected, so the MAFci mod isn't as mandatory as I'd first thought. Especially if it makes it a lot noisier... I have no cup-holders in the 240SX, but they're all OVER the place in the 6! That two-story utility bin under my elbow is cool. Interior lights for the backseat? Cool! But I think I need those blue-LED ones. ;) A cavernous trunk and a split rear seat that will let me leave my hatchback more easily.

Downsides: The Bose sound system is better than what I'm used to, but the base is very boomy, so I keep the bass turned down. The clutch is surprisingly stiff and has a MUCH longer throw than my 240SX, but I'll get used to it, if that's correct for this car.

Mostly, I just can't get over all the little touches that make it so much fun, things I'd never read about. It's wonderful!

I do, however, want to make it a little...um....more daunting, shall we say? I'm pushing 50: I don't want a street racer, and I have no need to make it noisier. Appearance things, though. First order of business is to put as much window-tint on it as is permitted in Ohio. I hate the clear-Euro taillights, but want to go the other way. I read here that I can choose between Mazdaspeed ones that are blacked out, or buy the blackened-Euro ones (that don't have a side reflector). I may buy a set of that tint that P-something sells here to tone down those side-marker lights. I want some blue-eyelids. Also want one of the sport grilles, but haven't decided which. I'm a nut-case about 'fit', so it needs to be one that has the correct shape of the current one...

I thought I'd hate the wheels more than I do. They seem to have a bit more visual interest on them than some other Mazda ones that were just awful. The previous owner put on some "Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P215/50R17 all-season performance tires" on it. They seem to work well at the moment. I understand that these are middle-of-the-road performance tires? Think they'll be awful in the snow?

I'm a little too practical to take off the side moulding. And although the 6 definitely looks better lowered, after going through some very long threads here, it seems that to do it right, it's gonna be shocks and springs, both. A lotta money for an inch-and-a-half. I mean, after getting this baby home, I have to start saving one for my wife too!

Oh yeah, how do you attach the front license plate? Ohio forces me to ruin the front of my baby with a plate, but all I see are two little dimples in the plastic bumper! (shrinking from Dabears' newbie ray-gun)

Thanks for all the help you guys have given this noobie in the last few weeks. I really have read hundreds of messages, and it's helped a lot, as well as the well-wishing PM's.

Thanks!

Can I join the club now? ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You've been here for a minute so I'll say:
Welcome to your new ride.

Are you in love with it yet???

·
Registered
383 Posts
Congrats on your purchase..... I guess that means you don't want mine now? How many miles were on it and what did you end up paying for it?

FYI... I have had my Lapis 6 for 2+ years in Ohio and I have never installed a front plate.

·
Registered
807 Posts
nice find! i found mine on craigslist :)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
[attachmentid=15695]Well, after months of research, tons of conversations, and any MANY hours of scouring threads on this forum, I finally found the car I wanted: a 2003 Lapis Blue Mazda6s, MTX, sport package, black leather, Bose upgrade and heated mirrors/seats. Found it on Autotrader two states away, and was lucky to find a seller of remarkable character: I now have all maintenance records of a VERY well-cared-for car. And even the original window sticker!

I had a blast driving it home, and I just LOVE THIS CAR!

It has more power than I expected, so the MAFci mod isn't as mandatory as I'd first thought. Especially if it makes it a lot noisier... I have no cup-holders in the 240SX, but they're all OVER the place in the 6! That two-story utility bin under my elbow is cool. Interior lights for the backseat? Cool! But I think I need those blue-LED ones. ;) A cavernous trunk and a split rear seat that will let me leave my hatchback more easily.

Downsides: The Bose sound system is better than what I'm used to, but the base is very boomy, so I keep the bass turned down. The clutch is surprisingly stiff and has a MUCH longer throw than my 240SX, but I'll get used to it, if that's correct for this car.

Mostly, I just can't get over all the little touches that make it so much fun, things I'd never read about. It's wonderful!

I do, however, want to make it a little...um....more daunting, shall we say? I'm pushing 50: I don't want a street racer, and I have no need to make it noisier. Appearance things, though. First order of business is to put as much window-tint on it as is permitted in Ohio. I hate the clear-Euro taillights, but want to go the other way. I read here that I can choose between Mazdaspeed ones that are blacked out, or buy the blackened-Euro ones (that don't have a side reflector). I may buy a set of that tint that P-something sells here to tone down those side-marker lights. I want some blue-eyelids. Also want one of the sport grilles, but haven't decided which. I'm a nut-case about 'fit', so it needs to be one that has the correct shape of the current one...

I thought I'd hate the wheels more than I do. They seem to have a bit more visual interest on them than some other Mazda ones that were just awful. The previous owner put on some "Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P215/50R17 all-season performance tires" on it. They seem to work well at the moment. I understand that these are middle-of-the-road performance tires? Think they'll be awful in the snow?

I'm a little too practical to take off the side moulding. And although the 6 definitely looks better lowered, after going through some very long threads here, it seems that to do it right, it's gonna be shocks and springs, both. A lotta money for an inch-and-a-half. I mean, after getting this baby home, I have to start saving one for my wife too!

Oh yeah, how do you attach the front license plate? Ohio forces me to ruin the front of my baby with a plate, but all I see are two little dimples in the plastic bumper! (shrinking from Dabears' newbie ray-gun)

Thanks for all the help you guys have given this noobie in the last few weeks. I really have read hundreds of messages, and it's helped a lot, as well as the well-wishing PM's.

Thanks!

Can I join the club now? ;)
[/b]
Well, I will be 50 in less than two weeks, so don't let that stop you. I would look into the Mazdaspeed Springs for the hatch/wagon. If you want to shorten the throws, look into the Mazspeed Sport Shifter, you will be surprised. If you like the power now, CPE's MAFci will surely impress you the gains it adds to the V6.
Glad you found the car and yes, I am sure your wife will want one.

I enjoyed my wife's car so much, I went and bought my own! Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Congrats on finally finding the car that you wanted! :)

Now start modding!

As to your question about whether the stock tires are awful in snow? Some people say yes. I say no. From personal experience. Had to pick up my wife at the airport. Driving from Harrisburg to JFK airport in New York City and then back in January IN the middle of a snow storm. I was able to make it there and back with no problem and never lost confidence in the car. We were traveling back on I80 westbound at 2am with tons of snow on the ground and made it through without a hitch. As long you don't get crazy, you should be fine. Though for the summer time, you might want to get good summer tires if you REALLY want to tear it up.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Congrats on the Lapis 6! Your the second new one this week!

As for your taillights, you can purchase the 06 NA Black tails from the board sponsor(jimclick).
They look great and a lot cheaper then the mazdaspeed ones or the euro ones...
They are about $200, you can search for them on here and find a whole post just about them w/ pictures...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome!

Another lapis blue in Dayton, Ohio - YEA!!!!!! I think there are 3 so far now.

Im starting not to like ohio as much as I used to, my friend said my tint was too dark and I have to put that horible plate on the front too. Im holding off as long as possible - my temps expired a while ago and I have plates but I havent put them on it yet.

Have fun driving - Ive put 4,000 miles on in 3 months.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, thanks all for the responses!

Lapis Man: 55,000 miles, $13,200. Absolutely PERFECT stock car. Interior looks like the day it was new. So no front-plate, eh? I'm tempted to try that....

Msumlin: Hey, old man! I'm only about 10 months behind you! Yeah, I want that short-shifter. Maybe for Xmas? ;) I'll do the MT-90 change, after reading that LOOONG thread. The MAFci is tempting, but $$.....

Dawei213: Yeah, I finally found one, though a part of me may wish I'd bought yours tricked out! But as you said, PA is a LOOONG state! :) I'm not sure these Michelin's are stock, but I'm glad for your reply about snow-driving.

Skatingzooyork: Thanks for the taillight reference. $200 is certainly cheaper than the $505 or so amount for the 'smooth' ones without the bulge. I'd prefer smooth, but that's a big difference in cost. Thinking, thinking..

Robbiec_rc: Wow, two other board members in Dayton with Lapis 6's? Cool! Maybe I can check you guys out on mods before I do them? ;) For instance, I'd like to hear the difference in the airbox mod and the MAFci mod before doing them. I don't want it to sound like my son's car!

Thanks, all. It's nice to be here, and REALLY nice to be drivin' this 6!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts