Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok, although I'm a newby, I'm going to answer this one. I bought a 2006 Mazda6 3.0L and that's one of the first things that I noticed. I would notice it most in parking lots under a tad of accelerating. You hear this ticking sound, if I recal, it speeds up with the RPM but then you stop hearing it because the engine gets louder. It took me while to get to the dealer and complain about this. The first dealer thought it was inside the engine and it turned into a big mess. In the end THEY WERE WRONG. A few months later, that ticking sounds was annoying again so i took it into another dealer and they knew right away what it was. THE PURGE VALVE. The said something about a hose that needs to be replaced, easy to do and it would cost about $120. I was a bit skeptical but I said OK and do the work. To my surprise the were RIGHT!! The ticking sounds went away! I was so happy. But....... after about 10 months, it came back. So I think it was a temporary solution but atleast I know what causes it now :)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Tick: thanks for pointing me here.. I'll have to check this out.

Tire rub: As-Is is As-Is. You signed it. Roll fenders.
Check: Rolled the Fenders in the aft section for $100! Done a couple months ago!

The main change in the valve is the rubber holder it comes with as it absorbs more of the shock, thus reducing the noise (different durometer). Because its mounted to the firewall its THUMPING can be annoying at times. Mainly radio off, in low gear at light throttle. Add much speed or turn on the heat and the noise is quickly masked!

This diagram clearly shows how the PURGE SOLENOID VALVE connects to the VAD CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE & the EVAP SYSTEM LEAK DETECTION PUMP. Although it doesn't say its connected to the charcoal cannister, it appears to be connected there as well.

It also shows how the PCV system is responsible for consuming 1,000 of quarts of oil and is to blame solely for the loss of countless 3.0L mazda V6's . . . . {forget my anti-sarcasm pill today! lol}

TAGS: PCV positive crankcase ventilation, oil consumption, neglect, blame, neglect, didn't check the oil, neglect! HO2S, EGR BOOST SENSOR, EGR BOOST SENSOR SOLENOID VALVE, EGR VALVE, TP SENSOR, MAF IAT SENSOR, ECT SENSOR, CKP SENSOR.

JJD952

God its Funny to read my OWN Sarcasm thread! HAHA! Text Technical drawing Diagram Drawing Line art

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Suck! Less than 6000 miles and the noise is back. Replaced purge valve; PN: L3P9-18-740B VALVE, SOLE. and the thumping from the engine cowling area has returned! POS design. Maybe sometime when the IM is off I'll move it and isolate from the cowl as it acts like DRUM being beaten!

@mmcorange

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So comes to a close my Warranty with the stealership!
80,000 or 6 months. 80,000 came first after adding 6,000 miles since 2012-09-01.
Whats ironic is the "80,000" was exactly as I parked in my spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
TSB for Purge Solenoid "tick" or "noise"

Suck! Less than 6000 miles and the noise is back. Replaced purge valve; PN: L3P9-18-740B VALVE, SOLE. and the thumping from the engine cowling area has returned! POS design. Maybe sometime when the IM is off I'll move it and isolate from the cowl as it acts like DRUM being beaten!

@mmcorange
Forgive me if the was already covered earlier in this thread as I didn't read it all- but there is a TSB for the Purge Solenoid noise. I have this same noise and just haven't bothered to do anything with it after researching it.

I believe the "fix" is to add a mounting arm that the solenoid mounted on with an insulator on the firewall bolt:

TSB: 01-012/07

2005 - 2007 MAZDA6 3.0L - TICKING NOISE FROM PURGE VALVE

BULLETIN NOTE

This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin issued on 03/16/07. The APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS information has been revised.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2005 - 2007 Mazda6 3.0L vehicles produced before Oct. 10, 2006

DESCRIPTION

On some vehicles, a ticking noise can be heard in the vehicle cabin during slow acceleration between 900 - 1200 RPM. Due to purge valve operation, (located on bulkhead) vibration may occur and transmit noise into the vehicle cabin through the bulkhead and dash panel. As a mass-production improvement, the length and diameter of the rubber mount was increased, and the rubber was hardened. The purge valve hoses were also lengthened.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify customer concern.
2. Replace purge valve installation rubber mount and purge valve hoses with modified parts.
3. Verify repair.
PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Description Qty.
AJB4-18-8DXC Bracket Assembly 1

AJTT-20-360 Hose 1

AJTT-20-370 Hose 1

Hope this is useful!
Gary

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
That fits in with the only way I see to fix it. . . Just a bad design that needs solved. I may look those PNs up and see what it costs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Had this done last week and it fixed the sound. Quite happy.
Also replaced failed alternator, Idler pulley, tensioner, and belt.
Thank goodness for extended warranties.
Now I just have to figure out what the hell is still making a medium-pitch rpm-related whining sound

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Had this done last week and it fixed the sound. Quite happy.
Also replaced failed alternator, Idler pulley, tensioner, and belt.
Thank goodness for extended warranties.
Now I just have to figure out what the hell is still making a medium-pitch rpm-related whining sound

Did they do this? TSB: 01-012/07 - 2005 - 2007 MAZDA6 3.0L - TICKING NOISE FROM PURGE VALVE

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.