Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, i've been lurking around the forum for a while, but only signed up today.

I have a 2009 Mazda 6TS 1.8 petrol (totally stock).

I also have the well-known alarm issues and dead battery problems. I'll search the forums, but if anyone has the silver bullet, please feel free to share.

Battery drains when not in continuous use. Slow start after a few days, dead after a few weeks. I've replaced the battery twice and had the alternator looked at.

Alarm goes off in hot/sunny weather. Presumably door latches faulty and flexing as they warm up/cool down. Not interior motion sensor as I suspected.

Now at the stage where I leave it unlocked and if I'm not driving it I disconnect the battery. Would be handy to have a battery disconnect switch in the dash!

Anyway, glad to speak to and learn from you all.

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like a loose ground connection to me - check all of them and make sure there's no corrosion around/on them too.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Welcome to the forum ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Have you done a voltage draw/drop test?

I would go that route first. That will help you isolate which system(s) is causing the issue then you can further troubleshoot.

You could have a system that is failing to turn off like it is supposed to. Culprits such as corrosion and stuck relays could do that.

The problem with some, many, newer vehicles is that they now have so many computer modules that still function for several minutes/hours after the ignition is off/key out.. using up the battery reserves over time. Not entirely uncommon for a vehicle's battery to drain enough below 12.6v over a short span of a couple weeks/ a month of lack of use

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might want to check this out:

Many thanks I'll have a good search.

Welcome to the forum ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Have you done a voltage draw/drop test?

I would go that route first. That will help you isolate which system(s) is causing the issue then you can further troubleshoot.

You could have a system that is failing to turn off like it is supposed to. Culprits such as corrosion and stuck relays could do that.

The problem with some, many, newer vehicles is that they now have so many computer modules that still function for several minutes/hours after the ignition is off/key out.. using up the battery reserves over time. Not entirely uncommon for a vehicle's battery to drain enough below 12.6v over a short span of a couple weeks/ a month of lack of use
Yeah there's definitely a draw somewhere. The battery got right down to 3v. I'll have to have another root around to see what's drawing a load when the car is off.

I've bought a battery disconnector to save me in the mean-time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does your alarm go off when reconnecting the battery? I have had a cut-off on my motorcycles and would like one on the car if the electronics will function with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts