Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was wondering, if i got some new rims, would i have to let a proffesional put them on? Are there some things i can't do by myself? And say i got new tires and rims, would i need a proffesional? Thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Typically, the only thing that requires a tire shop is mounting the tires on the wheels and balancing them. Once that is done, you should be able to take the wheels on and off your car without an issue with just the jack and tire iron provided by Mazda. The only other thing you would need is a flat surface to park on.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
k awesome :), thanks for the help Slv6sPitt. One more quick question, what is the tire iron you're talking about? Is that the wrench thing that can twist around? thanks again.
[/b]
That is in fact the tire iron.
If you have your manual in your car, you'll find out how to use it.
If you don't have your owners manual you can download a PDF for free from Mazdausa.com

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Typically, the only thing that requires a tire shop is mounting the tires on the wheels and balancing them. Once that is done, you should be able to take the wheels on and off your car without an issue with just the jack and tire iron provided by Mazda. The only other thing you would need is a flat surface to park on.
[/b]
Yes, but . . .

The order in which you put the nuts on and tighten them is important. There is a proper tightness to torque the nuts. Overtightening the nuts can strip the threads; if you undertighten them, the nuts can fall off, which sets up a serious safety issue..

I agree that anybody can do the job in his own garage, but -- unless you know what you are doing -- it is better to use the services of a professional.

·
Registered
90 Posts
On our mazda's we have a bearing cap on the back wheels that, depending on your aftermarket wheel, must be removed inorder for the wheel to fit correctly!!!!! You will need a hammer and a flat puch (flat head screwdriver will work) to pop it off!

Hope this will help you prepare!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts