Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've had my Mazdaspeed6 in beautiful red for over 3 years now. Just haven't made an account before. She has been great to me until recently, the engine is knocking bad and damaged. Looking to get some insight on what to do with her. Dropping in a new motor doesn't seem cost effective. Suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

Sorry to hear about your issue. From what I've seen you won't get much for it selling it as is (<1k). Spending ~2k on a replacement engine might be worth depending on the overall condition of the vehicle....
Look at it this way. A car depreciates between 100-500+ per month depending on the brand/trim/year. If you spend 2k fixing it and you get 12-24 months out of it, you'll be ahead of the game (IMO).

·
Rally Racer
1,911 Posts
Sorry to hear. Well, the way I figure you either fix or don't. If not, then you can part it out. Parting is laborious and time consuming but makes for a lot of happy people getting some great stuff. You can sell it complete for someone that wants a project. Scrap will pick it up for a few hundred. otherwise not too much else. I was contemplating this very thing a few weeks ago and opted for the hard road. I pulled out the cheque book and paid.
I wish you the best.

·
Super Moderator
16,782 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to see you're having issues.

He only stops by once in a while, but the absolute best person to talk to about this is @TiGraySpeed6.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Welcome to 6Club! Sorry we had to meet this way :(

What to do is an interesting question- Are you asking about options to get her running again, or about exit strategy options? "...insight on what to do with her" could go either way, and I'm sure we could offer many ideas on either.

Along with that would be where are you located, and what if any mechanical skill you have? Doing things yourself can really help your budget. It's funny, in a not funny way, but I know several folks that weren't mechanically inclined when the purchased their Speed6, and after a few years they had extensive tool collections and were rather capable mechanics in their own right, out of self defense if nothing else...

So, in or out, and how much can you handle yourself? Also where are you as the Speed community is pretty small, but very helpful!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts