Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the deal. I ordered a set of alt sonix at-267 18x7.5 rims from victoria tire. Plugged in my car info, 2006 mazdaspeed6 and it came up as being an appropriate fit. I know from researching rims for the past month or so that these rims come in both 35 and 42 offset and that going with a 215 tire on a 7.5 inch rim on a 42 offset, I should be ok without rolling (close though). However, i'm pretty sure with the 35 I would have to roll and the rims might look too far out on the car.

question is, am I wrong to think that they should provide a full refund as they said this rim was an appropriate fitment for my car and we all know that these cars take high offset rims and 35 is definitely not in that category? Just want to make sure when I call them tomorrow that I'm confident in my reasoning.

So pissed, rims and tires show up today, all ready to get them mounted and balanced and on the car, and as I'm looking over the rims I see an "et 35" imprinted on the backside of one of the spokes... :(

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
So you ordered the 42 and got the 35. Well if thats the case your receipt should say that and you will get your 42's with no hassle. But if the receipt says 35 idk what will happen then.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you ordered the 42 and got the 35. Well if thats the case your receipt should say that and you will get your 42's with no hassle. But if the receipt says 35 idk what will happen then.
[/b]

that's just it, it doesn't say any specific offset anywhere, online, on the reciept, nothing. I figured since every other website I went to specified high offset rims (42+) that these were the 42 offset variety. unfortunately from the designation on the rim it is not.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Ok, so here's the deal. I ordered a set of alt sonix at-267 18x7.5 rims from victoria tire. Plugged in my car info, 2006 mazdaspeed6 and it came up as being an appropriate fit. I know from researching rims for the past month or so that these rims come in both 35 and 42 offset and that going with a 215 tire on a 7.5 inch rim on a 42 offset, I should be ok without rolling (close though). However, i'm pretty sure with the 35 I would have to roll and the rims might look too far out on the car.

question is, am I wrong to think that they should provide a full refund as they said this rim was an appropriate fitment for my car and we all know that these cars take high offset rims and 35 is definitely not in that category? Just want to make sure when I call them tomorrow that I'm confident in my reasoning.

So pissed, rims and tires show up today, all ready to get them mounted and balanced and on the car, and as I'm looking over the rims I see an "et 35" imprinted on the backside of one of the spokes... :(

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
[/b]
You would need more than a roll to fit 35mm on, might even need to pull the fenders out a little bit. You might need a roll with the 42 too. I had 42mm rims wrapped in 225/45R18 and I needed a roll. You said you would get a 215 tire tho, are those thinner than 225? (I don't really know much about tires).

Anyway onto the rims, if you knew that they came in 35 and 42 then why didn't you specify that you needed the 42 when you ordered them? Or did you? If you did specify you wanted the 42 offset, and they sent you the 35, then they should be held responsible for sending you the wrong rims and should refund your money or send you the 42mm ones.

that's just it, it doesn't say any specific offset anywhere, online, on the reciept, nothing. I figured since every other website I went to specified high offset rims (42+) that these were the 42 offset variety. unfortunately from the designation on the rim it is not.
[/b]
Why would you order rims without knowing what offset they were? I'm confused :headscrat:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's a little bit of my concern, as I didn't specify 42 when I ordered, at the time of ordering it had slipped my mind that there were two offsets for this rim. And either way, if they say it fits a car, it should fit a car... every other website only recommends high offset rims.

In retrospect I should have verified it was the 42, but I don't think this is fault (at least not the majority of fault at least) and I would like to make sure I can get a free of charge exchange.

a 215 is 10 mm narrower than a 225, so it will effectively be 5 mm narrower at the interface that matters as far as rolling. so a 225 on a 42 offset would stick out as far as a 215 on a 37 offset. So basically if I did put these tires on these rims I would only be 2mm further out than you are.

·
Registered
949 Posts
this is why when i ordered my rims, i made it clear and detailed about the sizing from the bolt pattern to the hub bore to the offset.
good luck though!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
technically, they do fit. so its not like they are giving you false information about that. if you talk cool to the sales rep, you might be able to just exchange them for a different offset. but be prepared to pay for the shipping. that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
technically, they do fit. so its not like they are giving you false information about that. if you talk cool to the sales rep, you might be able to just exchange them for a different offset. but be prepared to pay for the shipping. that's my 2 cents.
[/b]

yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking. Still a little pissed at them, but primarily at myself for letting that slip my mind. If it costs me shipping back and no re-stocking fee, I'll be fine with that.

And yeah, it does technically fit my car, but so does a zero offset and you would never be able to tell someone that with a straight face (or if you can, than you need to start selling ice cubes to eskimos).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much are they? :D
[/b]

Oh, I'll hook you up with a real solid price! MSRP is 1 cube for $1, but I'll hook you up for the low low price of 10 cubes for $9.99!!! :yesnod: that's right, I know, I"m losing my ass on this deal, but I got your back here. ha.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so, I just got off the phone with victoria tire and they tell me that Alt doesn't make this rim in a 42 offset and that a 35 offset will work no problem on my car, they've mounted hundreds of them without rolling the fenders... right, right... sure you have buddy. So he continues to tell me to go ahead and call alt and gives me the number.

so I call up alt. He tells me that they sure do make it in a 42, and the only offset that a 5x114.3 comes in is 42 offset. So I ask him how I could possibly have a 5x114.3 with a 35 offset... he of course is confused and tells me he thinks it's probably not a 5x114.3.

So I call back victoria tire, and dude tells me that Alt is wrong. It only comes in a 35. I have talked to another member on here who has these in a 42. So confused right now.

Either way they are taking them back, paying for shipping, and giving me a full refund (hopefully, I'm having a hard time believing what this company is telling me at this point). All I want is my rims, is that too much to ask? :(

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think those websites that don't divulge certain wheel fitment info or sound the least bit wishy-washy on the phone are places we need to tell everyone to stay away from. I've heard several things about Victoria, WheelMax, etc. I found it wierd that Victoria shows like 13 pages of wheels that fit..... Try www.thewheelconnection.com even better www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com $138 each.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think those websites that don't divulge certain wheel fitment info or sound the least bit wishy-washy on the phone are places we need to tell everyone to stay away from. I've heard several things about Victoria, WheelMax, etc. I found it wierd that Victoria shows like 13 pages of wheels that fit..... Try www.thewheelconnection.com even better www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com $138 each.
[/b]

Yeah, I hear ya. I had heard of victoria tire before and thought I had heard good things... Guess I won't go back to them again... I just hope this whole return thing works out well, I have a fishy feeling that they'll try to hose me yet.

have you had experience with lakeshorewheelandtire? their price is the same as the price I got from victoria. And it's interesting that they list the offset at 42 even though victoria says it doesn't come in a 42 offset. I want to know what wheels I got, cause it definitely says et 35 on the back of the wheel. If it's actually the 42 offset and that's a mistake, then I'll just keep the wheels, but I don't think there's an easy way to determine the offset, at least not the difference of 7 mm of offset.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think if it says 35 on the wheel, you got 35. I've not had experience wiht Lakeshore, but they're pretty big and sell on Ebay.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think if it says 35 on the wheel, you got 35. I've not had experience wiht Lakeshore, but they're pretty big and sell on Ebay.
[/b]

Ok, victoria tire says they are sending a call tag for the rims and will refund the full price.

Really do like the way the rims look, and took a look at lakeshore tire thanks to redlinez and actually got a slightly better deal from those guys and they are located in Michigan, feel a little better with that than by compton in california. Also, they actually post all of the offsets on their site.

I did finally get a hold of a guy at Alt who seemed to know what he was talking about and they do make both a 42 and 35 offset in this rim like I thought they did. I made sure to verify that the 42 is coming this time.

Hopefully by next week I'll have my refund, and my new set of appropriate offset rims in hand! Wish me luck, thanks guys.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ha, I was just looking at the Alt boxes that the rims came in and even on the box it says that it's a 42 offset... might have been a screw up from Alt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts