Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new wheel/tire package. That includes a 17x7 (same as stock size wheel)

This is the stock tire size I have on my stock wheels: 215/50/r17

The new tires and wheels are coming with this tire size: 215/45/r17

What is the difference? Will my speedo be off? Will this tire size work?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
484 Posts
The second number in the tire size is the aspect ratio and relates to the sidewall height. Going from a 50 to a 45 means the new sidwall is going to be smaller than the old one.

The original diameter is 25.5 in, and the new is going to be 24.6 in - the new size is almost a full inch shorter than original, which is more than 3% different than stock. Your speedo will be off by a few MPH (speedo says 60, you'll actually be going 58).

What are the new tires and rims? What's the rim offset? (just out of curiousity) Why did you get this different size? Good deal?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The second number in the tire size is the aspect ratio and relates to the sidewall height. Going from a 50 to a 45 means the new sidwall is going to be smaller than the old one.

The original diameter is 25.5 in, and the new is going to be 24.6 in - the new size is almost a full inch shorter than original, which is more than 3% different than stock. Your speedo will be off by a few MPH (speedo says 60, you'll actually be going 58).

What are the new tires and rims? What's the rim offset? (just out of curiousity) Why did you get this different size? Good deal?
[/b]
Here are the wheels I bought...Becuase they were cheap! I will call tomorrow to the company and tell them to change the tire size to stock. Their web site automatically chose the 215/45;s for me.

http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId=9835

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you just ordered them, call the place and get the right size tires. Speedo isn't the only thing that will be off. Check the pinned items in the wheels / tires section. Loads of great information on tire sizes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Jax6S
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing