Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2006 6i hatchback (bright island blue, 5MT) on January 23 from a dealership a few hundred miles away. It had about 41k miles and I'm loving it so far.

It wasn't until tonight and 900 miles later that I decided to check the oil level. Didn't even register on the dipstick. I added two quarts of oil -- still nothing. I bought 3 more quarts, knowing that the capacity is 4.5. It took all 5 quarts of oil before it reached the "LOW" level of the dipstick.

I know my way around an engine bay, so I definitely know how to use a dipstick. So, either one of two things happened:
  1. I've been driving without any engine oil for 900 miles. :swearin:
  2. The dipstick is wrong, and now I have nearly 10 quarts of oil in my engine. :huh:

It wasn't until I used the 5th quart that I considered the possibility of scenario two. I can't imagine that a slight overfill would register as low oil. How likely is it to drive for 900 miles without oil without any noises or problems? The engine has not been super quiet, but I didn't expect it to be, given the sportier nature of the car relative to its competition. It's also the quietest car in my household ('09 Jetta TDI, '96 Miata, '86 Mustang SVO), so I thought nothing of the engine noise. It seemed pretty normal and fairly smooth to me.

Is there a trick to the dipstick on these cars, or are they known to be inaccurate? It looks like I have to park it and drain the oil to know what's what. I'd like to know what everybody thinks in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
QUOTE (Art Vandelay @ Feb 3 2010, 08:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634635
Is there a trick to the dipstick on these cars, or are they known to be inaccurate? It looks like I have to park it and drain the oil to know what's what. I'd like to know what everybody thinks in the meantime.[/b]
I've noticed on my MS6 that when I first pull out the dipstick, it will always read a bit low. Wiping off the dipstick and taking a second reading will yeild the proper level. It's almost as if there is an air pressure bubble in the dipstick tube or something that prevents a proper reading the first time.

That still doesn't explain your needed 4 or 5 quarts just to register on the stick however. The initial false "low" reading I'm talking about on my car would probably correspond about about a 1/2 quart low or something.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
There is no way you drove 900 miles w/o oil in the car. That being said it must have had at least enough to keep it from seizing.
I'd say just drain it and see how much comes out. Then you know how much is actually in there and if the proper dipstick is in the engine as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts