Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
old time was 17.3 at 80 mph in the quarter sorry for the lack of detail on that time i cant find the slip

with just header and intake

reaction time .608
60' 2.239
330 6.9
1/8 10.0
mph 66.38
1000 13.91
1/4 15.986
mph 88.01

two mods lost 1.4 off quarter mile time mohahaha

·
Registered
468 Posts
Replying to Topic 'new track times'

kris,
1.4 seconds is quite a bit...for an auto 2.2 60 foot is very nice. what was your launch technique?

edit: oops..just now reread u cant find the slip

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: new track times

i couldnt find my slip for the 17.3 run that was the slip for the run las nite...deep staged got revs up to almost 3000 and launched i had 0 tire spin.. lots of vht on my tires before i ran and lowered air pressure...the car left the hole great and shifted perfect both times...only got into 3rd...i had 2 other runs one with my wife in the car and her 2 friends that was 16.7 at 85 and the next run was missshifted going into 2nd 16.3 at 87...the big difference could be because maybe the first time i ran i really hadnt had the car long and the fuel pump had a problem (only 1000 miles on the car and the check engine light kicked on while i was stageing) but a 15.9 is awsome for a 4door family car at least i think so

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

Well I ran a 15.282 last weekend at the Silver Dollar Raceway. Bone Stock.

R/T... .832
60'... 2.373
330... 6.443
1/8... 9.834
MPH... 72.27
1000... 12.756
1/4... 15.282
MPH... 88.37

Mazda6 Steal Grey 5-speed V6.

·
Registered
142 Posts

you ran a 15.2 stock, that is awesome, i cant wait to take mine to the track and see what she can do :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

i call bull#### lets see the time slip you would need 196 whp to hit those times...and the stock 5 speed has less horsepower on the dyno than my car did by like 18whp or more and i have a neighbor that has a 6s 5 speed and when we raced i got him by like 2 cars...sorry i just dont buy it....
just for kicks here is what car and driver ran

We had a suspicion the Mazda 6 would be up to the task at the test track--and it was. The V-6 Mazda ran a 6.67-second 0-60 time with only a mild case of front-wheel hop. We just barely noticed the variable-valve timing and negligible torque steer kicking in somewhere in the upper-rev range when the quarter mile flew past in 15.13 seconds at over 94 mph. Standing on the brake pedal at 60 mph produced an impressively short 121-foot stop that grew only slightly after the fourth or fifth attempt. In the 600-foot slalom, a 63.9-mph pass puts it at the top of this test, as well as near the top of the sedan segment. While it may have taken Mazda too long to get here, the new 6 surely has the athleticism to compete in the big leagues.

Notice the MPH difference between your 15.2 and thier 15.13

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

even with that calc. it says he would need at minimum 186 to 196 at the wheels...every dyno i have seen for the 6s manual is well below that...my 6s with headers and intake laid down more hp than the 6s manual stock..and like i said i beat a 6s manual numerious times with my auto...i hit 15.9 at 184 whp adjust for my 2300 ft elevation that would put me around a 15.0 -15.2 now how is it possible for the exact same car with less horsepower run a faster time at the exact same mph, his 60ft time was even slower also look at the mph from 1/2 track to finish what car only gains 16 mph from 1/2 track to finish...more hp = better top end acceleration not the other way around...and look at our 1/8 mile time only .02 sec off from each other...so at half track we are almost dead even accept he is at 72mph im at 66 but with over half track to go he only gains 16 mph and me in an auto manages to gain 22mph so basicaly his times are saying the 6s manual has a worse top end acceleration than an automatic...then consider what it took car and drive to run a .1 second faster than him int the quarter mile they were a full 6mph faster in the quarter and only ran .1 faster.....all these numbers seem small but in drag racing 6 mph can make a big difference...all i want is to see the slip...

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

so wait a sec, were you driving a manual as well or are you in the auto? And are you guys using different fuels? I recall hearing people mentioning maybe it would get better HP with high grade fuel.

·
Registered
90 Posts

I'm going to throw in my 2cents here, but I'm not sure if it's worth anything...

First, there are many variables with drag racing. One of these variables is the total weight of the vehicle at the time of the race. The 6s w/ manual transmission (MTX) weight, as per Mazda and without the driver, is 3243 lbs. Now a 6s w/ automatic transmission (ATX); again as per Mazda and without the driver, the weight of the car is 3311 lbs. Throw in the driver. Who weighs more? Weight can be an overlooked factor.

The power plant of the 2 cars is the same V6. One is modified a little more than the other, but by looking at the dyno charts from the modified V6 ATX and the stock V6 MTX, the HP difference is 6.4whp and 2.6lb-ft of torque, with the modified motor having the upperhand of course (got dyno info from MSDSinc.com and Brillo's dyno chart).

Then that leads to the power delivery. One is a 5-speed automatic and the other is a 5-speed manual transmission. As per Mazda, the first 3 ratios are 'shorter' on the MTX than the ATX. 4th and 5th gears are pretty damn near close (it's a rarity to use 4th and 5th in a drag race with times slower than 14secs.). So, shorter ratios = less time for the motor to rev and the less time it takes for the motor to get to it's peak power. It looks like this is demonstrated on the 330' times as the MTX reached 330' at a little less than half a second faster than the ATX.

At the 1/8th mile, the MTX is faster by .166 secs. But look at the MPH at the 1/8th mile. The MTX is 5.89mph faster than the ATX, also showing that the MTX's shorter ratios have reached higher speeds in a lesser amount of time than an ATX.

The 1000' time shows that the MTX is still faster by 1.154 secs... showing again, that the MTX has reached a faster speed and is travelling at more feet per second than the ATX in a shorter amount of time.

And then you have the 1/4 mile time. 15.282 @ 88.37mph for the MTX and 15.986 @ 88.01mph. The MTX is faster by .704 secs. but why the similar trap speeds? Maybe it's because the MTX reached 88.37mph in LESS TIME for a quicker 1/4mile and the ATX probably took the WHOLE 1/4mile to reach 88.01mph. Factor in the weight and I'll be willing to bet that the MTX, overall, weighs less than the ATX 6... Now, I'm not saying that you are overweight Kris. :)

The other variables could be the weather, the elevation, the driver, track conditions, and whatever else I missed.

But, I maybe dead wrong about this entire reply.... So please, someone, kill me, if I am....

·
Registered
791 Posts

Kyler, you're right- save 50lbs there.

But doesn't this simply fall under the manual versus automatic arguement? Need it go any further than that?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Don't forget that 2Q is at 2,300 ft and ATL is at 500 ft. I would expect 2Q to run about at least a 16.7 or quicker at Alt's track

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

I used 93 that night.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

so what if i weight 450lbs that shouldnt make a difference.....j/k im 6ft 2 blonde hair blue eyes 195lbs i like long walks on the beach and someone special holding my hand,.....anyways i really am 195 and the stock exhaust stuff weight is atleast 70lbs more than the duratec headers...now i know i am 2000 feet higher than atl and that would equal at least a second off my time so at same elevation i would or atleast should win.....for 3 reassons 1. i have already smoked an manual tranny m6 2. my car weight is less and three i have more hp at the wheels....my buddy aka: "nerdy math boy" is going to due some math for me to adjust for altitude and see what i would run at sea level... kris

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: new track times

Opps, sorry I was basing that time on your old 17 sec run. With about a .96 correction factor, looks like you could have run about a 15 flat or even 14.9?? maybe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: new track times

LBJay - Have you found a formula for correcting E.T.s to sea level E.T.s? I've looked around the net and I haven't found anything... Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Kris - I hope you didn't take my reply the wrong way, but I was just trying to shed a little light on your situation with ATL's times. My friend and I used to argue about this same situation. I had a '91 GS with a YS1 tranny, and my friend had a '92 LS with an intake and exhaust. Virtually identical cars, except that my Integ had the closer ratio trans and he had breather mods. We weighed about the same... But I beat him drag racing about 80-90% of the time at the strip. He always wondered why or how I can beat him even though his model year produces 10HP more than mine and that he had engine mods. He couldn't grasp the fact that there are other factors in drag racing than just having a little more power than the other car, especially when they are both nearly identical.

That was my point in the previous post. There are many many factors when it comes down to drag racing. HP isn't the only one...

It's too bad you've already gotten rid of your 6 and that you're moving. We could've met and raced sometime at the strip.

·
Registered
268 Posts

What gear were you in on your best run? What mph does the 6S max in third gear. I heard about 90MPH...not sure though. Were you in the middle of a gear change or banging against the rev limiter going through the traps? Trap speed seems kinda low for the time you ran.

Originally posted by ATLWell I ran a 15.282 last weekend at the Silver Dollar Raceway. Bone Stock.  

R/T... .832
60'... 2.373
330... 6.443
1/8... 9.834
MPH... 72.27
1000... 12.756
1/4... 15.282
MPH... 88.37

Mazda6 Steal Grey 5-speed V6.  [/b]

1 - 20 of 45 Posts