Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, there's been speculation, but now it's official. TOYO is bringing the Proxes R888 DOT-legal competition tire to the US! Here's the official press release:

Cypress, Calif. - Toyo Tires has introduced the new Proxes R888 D.O.T.-legal competition tire for use while road racing on track days and at high-performance driving schools. Features: a wide center block; large, interlocked shoulder blocks for optimized contact pressure distribution; a rounded shoulder; a
unidirectional angled-groove tread with a 6/32nd-inch tread depth to help eject water; a high modulus filler in the center of the tire bead to help reduce tire wall deflection; and a jointless cap and edge ply. The tire will be available in a variety of sizes, fitting 17- to 19-inch wheels, with new sizes to be released throughout 2007.

As more information becomes available, I'll post it up here.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Only 17-19"??? Useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
yeah, i woulda been hopin for 16's. the only cheap wide lightweight wheel combo for our cars.

but toyo arent cheap tires either, so yeah, if your cheap you wouldnt buy them anyway.

im interested in how they perform, tho, looking forward to some reviews.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only 17-19"??? Useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/b]
Colin, the R888 is available in sizes 13-16" overseas. I would imagine if demand warrants it, we'll bring those sizes over as well. I've been told that we will have both the RA1 and R888 available in 2007, so there'll be some overlap, with the RA1 being phased out in 2008, except for sizes we are contractually obligated to produce. As I hear more information, I'll let you guys know, but I would hope that we'll make the R888 available in the smaller rim diameters as well. I just don't have confirmation yet.

im interested in how they perform, tho, looking forward to some reviews.
[/b]
arch, like the RA1, the R888 isn't optimized for autocross. It's intended for continuous-lap road racing. The test results I've heard indicate a very good improvement over the RA1, with no loss of durability. Incidentally, I've been running the R888 on my BMW since March and I love them! Very predictable in the handling and progressive breakaway characteristics.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I was hoping for some to put on the 323, it's got 15's. Who do I need to write to?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
:drool:

What's the reasoning for it's not being optimized for autocrossing? You mentioned it's good for ccontinuous-lap road racing. Is it because it needs heat and a lot of it to maintain that grip?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Sounds like it...

ToyoGuy, what is the projected life of these on the streets?? Can you get 3-5K out of them? I would have thought you would be able to get decent life if they are for road racing....

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:drool:

What's the reasoning for it's not being optimized for autocrossing? You mentioned it's good for ccontinuous-lap road racing. Is it because it needs heat and a lot of it to maintain that grip?
[/b]
Autocross compounds tend to heat up more quickly and have a lower optimum operating temperature (around 180 degrees). Road racing compounds heat up more slowly and have a higher optimum operating temperature (typically 200-220 degrees). You could use autocross tires on a road course, but after several laps, will overheat and lose grip (once you get beyond the optimum range, grip decreases). Conversely, you can use road racing tires on an autocross course, but you don't have enough time to get the heat into them that you need to get the compound sticky. They're better than street tires (for autocross), but not as good as autocross tires.

Wiggum, that's a difficult question to answer. So much depends on your driving style and the conditions of the roads in your area. On some cars, they will wear very quickly (like the 3-5k you mention). On other cars, the heat cycling of the tire being used daily will actually harden the compound. I've heard of people getting 20k miles on RA1s that are driven daily for that reason. Problem is, once the tire compound gets hard like that, they lose all elasticity and don't grip worth a flip. It's better to use them just for the track to get the most life out of them.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
oyo Tires has introduced the new Proxes R888 D.O.T.-legal competition tire for use while road racing on track days and at high-performance driving schools.[/b]
About time! People have been clammoring for these for over a year! Glad to see America finally gets them. Since the R888's release, Kumho's V710 has become quite popular. While obviously not meant for rain, longevity in dry weather has been quite good as a track tire. I wonder how the tires compare. I'd guess the R888's probably last longer (at the expense of grip) and and work in the rain.

Will the RA-1 be discontinued? Phased out of the Speed World Series? They had a pretty loyal following, just as I'm sure the R888's will too.

I really enjoyed my RA-1's, though their heat requirements were much too high for what I was doing. I'd love it if the R888's worked over a wider temperature range, more like what I've seen of the V710.

Sounds like it...

ToyoGuy, what is the projected life of these on the streets?? Can you get 3-5K out of them? I would have thought you would be able to get decent life if they are for road racing....
[/b]
They are track tires and not recommended for street. How are you going to get them up to 140 degrees in just street driving? On a 70-degree morning, track tires will have grip roughly equal to a lousy all-season. Seriously. If it gets much colder than that, it's almost like driving on dirt. These tires NEED heat before they grip at all. I cannot overstate this. The problem is worse in a front-heavy car, because you'll heat up the front tires before the rear, and that means oversteer city.

If you did get them up to temperature, you'd end up flinging rocks and road debris all over the place. Everything sticks to racing tires. And they ride horribly- the stiff sidewalls aren't just uncomfortable, they're going to rapidly accelerate wear on your shocks. Then, there's the whole hydroplaning issue.

However, for what it's worth, RA-1's typically lasted 10-15k as street tires for those who used them as such. These R888's start with less tread (6/32), so they probably won't last quite as long under daily driver conditions. I bet the "just as durable" claim is for track use; they'll last just as many track sessions. RA-1's were always resistant to heat cycles, a rare treat among tires. For a weekend car that you also raced, they'd sort of make sense, maybe. RA-1's were always the track tire that you could drive to the track on. For anything else, something like Falken's RT-615's make much more sense.

What's the reasoning for it's not being optimized for autocrossing? You mentioned it's good for ccontinuous-lap road racing. Is it because it needs heat and a lot of it to maintain that grip?[/b]
Yup, though these tires are probably quite good on those nasty days where the asphalt reaches 140+ degrees. Hoosier autocross compounds can overheat on those days.

There's a local guy who won B-stock several times in an S2000 on RA-1's. He swore by them, and B-stock is a pretty competitive class in our region. Most other people would argue that the RA-1's are only half way between a R-compound and a street tire because they were such mild racing tires, but either way, they were a tremendous upgrade from even Falken Azenis. If the R888 improves on that while still not suffering from heat cycle wear, they'll be very popular in all areas of motorsport.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, the RA-1 is finally being replaced. Sounds like we should be saving up once they get discontinued and become on sale. Definately looking forward to the new R888

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Yes, there's been speculation, but now it's official. TOYO is bringing the Proxes R888 DOT-legal competition tire to the US! Here's the official press release:

Cypress, Calif. - Toyo Tires has introduced the new Proxes R888 D.O.T.-legal competition tire for use while road racing on track days and at high-performance driving schools. Features: a wide center block; large, interlocked shoulder blocks for optimized contact pressure distribution; a rounded shoulder; a
unidirectional angled-groove tread with a 6/32nd-inch tread depth to help eject water; a high modulus filler in the center of the tire bead to help reduce tire wall deflection; and a jointless cap and edge ply. The tire will be available in a variety of sizes, fitting 17- to 19-inch wheels, with new sizes to be released throughout 2007.

As more information becomes available, I'll post it up here.
[/b]
a wide center block, and large shoulder block? Naaaah....

This damn tire is one big block of rubber with some grooves cut in them...........:D

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More info:

Toyo Tires® Introduces the New Proxes R888™ D.O.T.-Legal Competition Tire

November 3, 2006 --Toyo Tires® introduces the new Proxes R888™ D.O.T.-legal competition tire. The design of the Proxes R888™ delivers outstanding grip and consistency for quick lap times, making it ideal for use while road racing, at track days and at high-performance driving schools.

A Wide Center Block delivers excellent traction and directional control for dry braking. Large, interlocked Shoulder Blocks maintain a large surface area during cornering for an immediate steering response and ultimate dry traction. The combination of the two provides a large overall surface area for optimized Contact Pressure Distribution during cornering, braking and acceleration. Another feature of the Proxes R888™ is a rounded shoulder which maintains contact area during suspension geometry changes in hard turns. A unidirectional Angled-Groove Tread features a 6/32-inch tread depth to help eject water and to avoid hydroplaning in wet weather conditions. The Proxes R888™ can be shaved to 4/32-inch for maximum dry traction.

Overall tire construction is critical for performance and reliability. The Proxes R888™ incorporates a High Modulus Filler located in the center of the tire bead structure to help reduce tire wall deflection under hard cornering. The addition of this “reinforcing material” results in quick transitional response for faster maneuvering. A Jointless Cap and Edge Ply ensure high speed dimensional stability around the circumference of the tire.

The Proxes R888 from Toyo Tires will be available in a variety of sizes fitting wheels from 17- to 19-inches with new sizes to be released throughout the 2007 calendar year. To learn more about the new Proxes R888 for competition bred sedans and coupes, log on to toyo.com. During 2006, Toyo Tire (U.S.A.) Corporation celebrates its 40th Anniversary. Toyo manufactures and distributes a complete line of high performance and original equipment replacement tires for passenger car, light truck, commercial truck, bus, off-road and construction applications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts